Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Could easily be the water pump too...
It was the water pump and it was changed out. I think it had additional problems that would not have been know with the bad pump masking them?
Old 10-16-2011, 03:05 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my 87 944 na in Santa Fe NM and (because I'm partly dumb and partly fearless) drove the car all the way to Southwest Florida. It was a three day road trip and I really enjoyed it. The car had 120k miles on it and wasn't taken care of as I would have preferred, although there were a lot of maintenance records. Although the car stumbled slightly on acceleration, it ran good and got 30mpg the whole way home with the a/c on and highway speed at around 75. Since I got it home I started going through everything and still doing it. Here's the list of things so far:

Found a huge mouse nest in the intake air box.

Got rid of the phone dials and bought a set of 17" Cayman wheels on ebay and new tires.

Put some air pressure in the intake boot and found 2 vacuum leaks. One was under the intake manifold at the temp switch and the other was the shaft seals on the throttle body. New seals there and now no leaks.

New wires plugs and rotor and cap.

New Fuel Filter

New Timing and balance belts, rollers, water pump and front end seals. Rule of thumb: a car this old expect all the rubber seals to be hard and brittle and they will leak.

Current: Dropped the suspension and the oil pan to replace leaking gasket. While there, new rod bearings and rod bolts, new rubber boots for the lower ball joints, and steering rack boots and new tie rod ends/boots.

Next: AOS seals, and since I'm removing the intake manifold to get to it, new intake gaskets, rebuild the fuel injectors and change the FPR AND FPD and rubber fuel lines to the fuel rail.

These older cars will require things to be replaced and it's inevitable. You can easily pay twice the purchase price to bring them back up to dependable condition or you can do the work yourself and in my case, GREAT THERAPY.

I'm lucky, I suppose, that I made it all the way home without incident.

Enjoy your therapy machine.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:57 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Yeah actually it's kinda odd, when we first get them we take off on some long *** trip without a care in the world and have no problems! You get them start to fix and repair upgrade etc. And they turn into freaking prima donas, that usually develop some system problem unrelated to anything you've done!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to let you guys know I got home to Dallas with the car and practically zero issues- bulletproof run all day long. It was incredible. What a machine. It's tucked in the garage next to the S8 now. I am wiped out, and will post a story thread on all this with a flickr photo gallery later this week. Stay tuned and thank you all for your help! It turned out to be an amazing weekend (and I've spent the last hour in the garage just staring at it).
Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Awesome! What route did you end up taking back through Arkansas?

I feel a "DFW Rennlisters" road trip to some curvy roads in Arkansas coming on soon... do you think we could drum up some interest? I sold my ZX-14, so I will need a new outlet for getting in some curves and mountains, and it's been like 10 years since I had the 924S up there. Should be a whole lot of fun in the 951!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Just wanted to let you guys know I got home to Dallas with the car and practically zero issues- bulletproof run all day long. It was incredible. What a machine. It's tucked in the garage next to the S8 now. I am wiped out, and will post a story thread on all this with a flickr photo gallery later this week. Stay tuned and thank you all for your help! It turned out to be an amazing weekend (and I've spent the last hour in the garage just staring at it).
I still think the last minuet snafu, is what made your maiden trip uneventful!

Welcome aboard!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Hi guys. Been a rennlist member since 2003, but I sold my 964 back in 2008, so haven't posted lately. Saturday night I bought a 1987 951 on ebay for my son who is getting his license in a few months.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

So, we are flying from Kansas City to Kalamazoo, MI to pick the car up and drive it home next weekend, October 29th. Would probably be smarter to have it shipped, but thought it was a good father-son quality time event. I've read this thread and got some good ideas to prep for the trip (I ordered a DME relay today and will buy a fire extinguisher and some basic tools when we get there). I am having a set of Kumho Ecsta 4X tires from TireRack being shipped out and put on the car before I arrive as the seller said that he wouldn't trust them because although the tread is good, he said they're weathered & cracked.
The seller bought the car from a friend's estate sale after the friend passed away. The seller is being very, very helpful, but he doesn't have any maintenance records other than that he said it was his friend's "baby", so he knows it was well cared for. But, it sat for about 3 years after his friend passed before he got it at the estate sale.
He has been driving it regularly over the past couple of months and has put 1,000 miles on it in that time. It has just over 82,000 miles on the car and by all appearances looks to be in very nice condition. He changed the oil right after he got it at 81,300 miles. He looked at the fuel lines and said that they look to be in good shape. I'll have the shop that is installing the tires, Belle Tires in Kalamazoo, give the car an inspection for obvious issues, including a second opinion on the fuel lines. But, I'd rather not have a bunch of work done on it by an out of town shop. Once I get it back home, I've already got an appointment with my mechanic to have him go over it, change the timing belt, etc.
I plan to stop by the Gilmore Museum in the Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids area before we head home.
Any other suggestions or tips?
Thanks!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:15 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
bravo..bravo!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Awesome! What route did you end up taking back through Arkansas?

I feel a "DFW Rennlisters" road trip to some curvy roads in Arkansas coming on soon... do you think we could drum up some interest? I sold my ZX-14, so I will need a new outlet for getting in some curves and mountains, and it's been like 10 years since I had the 924S up there. Should be a whole lot of fun in the 951!
IN! We can go the backway through paris and then striaght up to SE Oklahoma and then across Talamena!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:18 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

very cool KC! Have fun and keep us all imformed. The rules are pics or it didn't happen!

And great for you and your son...btw, I am taking my son to his first ever PCA time trial this Sunday, though in the Corvette I bought him!

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Hi guys. Been a rennlist member since 2003, but I sold my 964 back in 2008, so haven't posted lately. Saturday night I bought a 1987 951 on ebay for my son who is getting his license in a few months.

So, we are flying from Kansas City to Kalamazoo, MI to pick the car up and drive it home next weekend, October 29th. Would probably be smarter to have it shipped, but thought it was a good father-son quality time event. I've read this thread and got some good ideas to prep for the trip (I ordered a DME relay today and will buy a fire extinguisher and some basic tools when we get there). I am having a set of Kumho Ecsta 4X tires from TireRack being shipped out and put on the car before I arrive as the seller said that he wouldn't trust them because although the tread is good, he said they're weathered & cracked.
The seller bought the car from a friend's estate sale after the friend passed away. The seller is being very, very helpful, but he doesn't have any maintenance records other than that he said it was his friend's "baby", so he knows it was well cared for. But, it sat for about 3 years after his friend passed before he got it at the estate sale.
He has been driving it regularly over the past couple of months and has put 1,000 miles on it in that time. It has just over 82,000 miles on the car and by all appearances looks to be in very nice condition. He changed the oil right after he got it at 81,300 miles. He looked at the fuel lines and said that they look to be in good shape. I'll have the shop that is installing the tires, Belle Tires in Kalamazoo, give the car an inspection for obvious issues, including a second opinion on the fuel lines. But, I'd rather not have a bunch of work done on it by an out of town shop. Once I get it back home, I've already got an appointment with my mechanic to have him go over it, change the timing belt, etc.
I plan to stop by the Gilmore Museum in the Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids area before we head home.
Thanks!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kcattorney

Thanks!
a 951 for a 16 year old?
Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carlege
a 951 for a 16 year old?
I'm confidant he has thought this through...all sixteen year olds are not the same.

Of course this comes from a dad who bought his (responsible, good student, humble, etc.) son a 2000 Corvette Coupe 6 speed for his 18th birthday in order to drive his senior year of High School

Now my concern with the 951 would be weaker clutch, higher maintennace, etc., etc. Having both cars the vette is MUCH more forgiving. And with the mods on my 951 when he drives it the boost actually spooks him!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:56 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carlege
a 951 for a 16 year old?
Thats what I was thinking...This is WAY too much car for a 16 year old. I'm assuming he (the father )has driven a 951 before?.. This is a really fast car...and a kid will want to show it off. None of my business...but a bad, bad idea from a maturity standpoint. 944 N/A would be a better first car...I've been driving for 25 years and manipulating the turbo boost definitely takes some skill. This isn't exactly an easy car to drive....I wont drive it if the streets are wet.

Last edited by BlackOp; 10-17-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlackOp
Thats what I was thinking...This is WAY too much car for a 16 year old. I'm assuming he (the father )has driven a 951 before?.. This is a really fast car...and a kid will want to show it off. None of my business...but a bad, bad idea from a maturity standpoint. 944 N/A would be a better first car...I've been driving for 25 years and manipulating the turbo boost definitely takes some skill. This isn't exactly an easy car to drive....I wont drive it if the streets are wet.
+1
Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schip43
+1
I guess I should add that not only is this car REALLY fast but the poweband is somewhat unpredictable...it's pretty much full on or off. It actually reminds me of when I used to race motocross. A young, inexperienced driver+winter+turbocharged Porsche is a recipe for disaster...this car can easily get squirrely on dry pavement.

Quick Reply: Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?