Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?

Yep, I'm the 'take it or leave it' PPI guy from that recent thread. It looks like the deal is going through today! The due dilligence and PPI were definitely worth it- found the car was overheating because of a bad water pump so the seller had that and the TB replaced on his dime. Car is at the shop and just got patched up with those, and belts and hoses on my dime while he was at it. Everything else seems to have checked out and it drives well after the mechanic took it home overnight and spent a full 24 hrs. with it after repair- he's impressed with it. All the big concerns have been addressed- time to make it happen now.

I'm planning to drive about halfway back Saturday and stay at a nice B&B that was recommended to me in the Ozarks (re: twisty roads), rest of the way Sunday in time to take my awesome wife (always but especially for letting me do this) out for her birthday dinner. In the 951 naturally. I hope. Will be praying and babying the car on I-40 the whole way... unless it happens to give me a good feel for its overall health where I can 'give it the beans' a few times.

Anyway, what do I need to bring along with me to generally be prepared? The car has the original spare/tools/pump. Here is the list I have so far, some stuff I won't be able to bring onboard the flight there with me (not planning to check a bag but can), please add to it!

DME relay?
Small fire extinguisher (buy there)
Gallon or three of coolant (buy there)
Bottled/jug of water (buy there)
Paper towels
Blue painters tape
Duct tape
Tire gauge
iPhone charger (coverage whole way)
DSLR camera (trees changing colors btw)
CDs

Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DME relay for sure, always keep a spare in your glove box. Fire extinguisher is a great idea. Everything else are good things to have for a long trip.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Thanks- where can I order a DME relay and have it shipped overnight? Short notice, but I probably need to do that (and anything else like that) in the next few hours.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

944online.com has the lowest price. I just ordered 2. Call them now and they should be able to get it to you overnight. 1-866-944-stuf
Old 10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
I'm planning to drive about halfway back Saturday and stay at a nice B&B that was recommended to me in the Ozarks (re: twisty roads)
If you haven't spent a lot of time in a RWD Turbo take it easy in the turns... BOOST can sneak up and slap your backend sideways!
<--- You'll make this face!

Getting the DME Relay by tomorrow might be tough... Hopefully you won't need it though. However NOW that we have Jinx'd you..

You can Jumper the Relay to make it drive; Just make sure to remove it when the car is park -because your fuel pump will run until it breaks itself...

Familiarize yourself with this page/site
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-05.htm

Congrats, and Good Luck!! Look forward to seeing you around the Forum!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Why not stop by a local harbor freight and grab some vice grips, assorted wrenches, screwdrivers, electrical wire (couple of pieces), fuses, hose clamps, Flashlight, maybe a pair of disposable coveralls, haynes manual etc. I'm not talking the expensive tools either, a cheap set of tools just for the car. $40 bucks worth of tools could get you out of a tight jam if your stranded in the dark on a quiet road. (can you tell that I've done this kind of stuff before?)

Good luck, and share your trip adventure when you return!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in nashville. I would recommend you take natchez trace parkway on the way home.

I have a spare DME relay etc but really, all I would recommend you buy is a premium AAA membership.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Tire plug kit
Old 10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Radar detector.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When are you picking it up? Head out to Nashville Superspeedway.....we are having a Friday Porsche only event. We'll put her through a couple laps and if anything is going to break, that would be the place!!

Seriously, I do have a NIB DME relay you can have if you're near the south side of Nashville. Probably about any other spare part you would want to take along as well. Think of anything you can't get in time drop me a line and I'll dig it up.

+1 on the Natchez Trace. Start at the Lovelace Cafe, Papa Boudreaux's for Cajun sadly it's not a fast road....but the sites are beautiful.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

throw a bottle of chevron fuel injector cleaner with "techron " in the gas tank before you go ...and of course 93 octane on the gas.
enjoy and let us know how it goes
Old 10-13-2011, 12:51 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow you are so organized...I bought mine in Atlanta when I was living in North Dakota (1500 miles) - as soon as the guy gave me the keys I just got in and drove it back. I had the clothes I was wearing and a radar detector . I even had to stop to buy sunglasses! I had no trouble but I think you're right to take precautions. Congrats! A 951 is a gift that keeps on giving.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:49 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Think of a good alibi to explain the ****-eating grin on your face....driving through the Ozarks would be a blast.

DME and a tire patch kit ....did you have the mechanic change the gear oil? Might be a good time before such a long trip. Are the fuel lines original...you want to swap those asap. They can rupture/leak from age. I drove my 951 600 miles the day after I bought it...ran like a champ. Trial by fire.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:54 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

tire plug kit, 10mm and 13mm 3/8 sockets, 3/8 ratchet, phillipshead/flathead screwdriver, vice grips, 10/13MM wrench, fire extinquisher, coolant/water, oil

make sure the spare tire is ok to drive on.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:58 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

If you change the fuel lines...probably wont need the fire extinguisher. I'd do that instead of buying one.

Quick Reply: Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?