Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:22 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want this thread hi-jacked...however unless you giys know all the circumstances be careful wioth your judgement. Your points are valid though again you don't know all the facts...I'm trusting daddy on this one!

btw, my senior aged son and I took a ride in his Vette tonight (Fuzzy's Taco's!) and then worked on the 951 together. I could not ask for a better son...not in my wildest dreams.

And this weekend....her gets to drive the Vette at MSR Dallas at a PCA Time Trail.

In reference to your concerns regardinf a young man in a 951....my modded 951 is too much car for him and most importantly...HE realizes that!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:03 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Guys, thanks very much for the concern, and these are all points well made. If it makes you feel any better, I flew torpedo attack jets (S-3 Viking) off aircraft carriers for 6 years on active duty and then did 17 more years in the reserves before retiring - point being that I understand how important safety is and how easy it is to get in trouble with high performance equipment. We just sold our Stage 2 modded C5 Corvette 2 weeks ago, and he was able to handle that (415+ hp). In the last year in addition to the Vette, we've had (and he's driven) a 2007 Ford Mustang, a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline Turbo Carbon Flash Special Edition and a 2004 Nissan 350Z. He's a straight A student, will be an Eagle Scout soon, and is a talented athlete in multiple sports. Of course, none of that means he can't get himself into a whole heap of trouble with the 951. But, like racerxrick, I am trusting that the proper driver training and respect for the car will keep him safe. I went with the 1987 as I believe that was the first year for the dual airbags and ABS. So, that's my rationale. However, your points are very well taken and believe me, he's reading everything you guys are posting right along with me. If I didn't get his attention, then you guys certainly did!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...good luck. All I can say is its nearly impossible not to drive this car fast...it handles so well, you look down and are going 90...all the cars, that were behind you on the entrance ramp, quickly become tiny dots. The boost on these cars is addictive..I wasnt implying that your son couldnt handle it, sounds like he has already driven sports cars....but kids are a lot different when they have their friends in the car..as opposed to their father. Obviously, you know your son better than anyone here...just looking out.

BTW..My mother lives in KC. I actually graduated from Shawnee Mission South...a long time ago. There are bored cops everywhere in OP.

Last edited by BlackOp; 10-18-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm not in this position... yet... but here is what comes to mind for me:

1. While 944 Turbos are "fast", they also have better handling and brakes than many modern cars, especially if equipped with ABS, which can be very helpful for drivers with fewer years of experience, especially when you've got wide tires and the roads get wet.

2. Fast is a relative term. I'm quite certain that my wife's '09 Malibu LTZ could keep up with a stock 944 Turbo (maybe not an S) up to 110 or so in a straight line. Sure, it's FWD, but it's got gobs of torque directed through one front wheel, and that brings it's own challenges when you punch the gas going through a turn...

3. Controlling a stock 944 Turbo under acceleration isn't a big deal considering how soft the stock suspension is. A stock Vette can easily be more of a handful because you can break traction at just about any speed in 1st or 2nd... and with 415HP, 3rd too. If he can handle that, he can handle a 26/6 spooling up to 220HP without too much trouble.

Edit: Just realized that this is still a hi-jack... I hope Sentinelist is doing well
Old 10-18-2011, 12:47 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Sentinelist, sorry about the unintended hijack. I'm glad you had a good trip back. If you have any lessons learned to share with us before we head out, I'm all ears. Anything you'd do differently, or take along or be sure to look at before hitting the road that hasn't been mentioned yet?
Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOp
This isn't exactly an easy car to drive....I wont drive it if the streets are wet.
Don't be afraid of the rain unless you are on race tires in a downpour. Our cars do fine in inclement weather with the right tires. We run our autocrosses rain or shine and although people are afraid of the rain, they learn a lot more about driving on those days.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustinL
Don't be afraid of the rain unless you are on race tires in a downpour. Our cars do fine in inclement weather with the right tires. We run our autocrosses rain or shine and although people are afraid of the rain, they learn a lot more about driving on those days.
Ha...I'm not afraid to drive it in the rain...I just prefer to drive my N/A. The 951 wants to be driven fast...the 944 has a much smoother power delivery. I guess a better way of phrasing is its not a very fun car to drive in the rain...or traffic for that matter.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Edit: Just realized that this is still a hi-jack... I hope Sentinelist is doing well
Haha, thanks, I'm still recovering from 'jet lag' on Sunday. Been driving it a bunch getting to know it around my town, learning quirks. Haven't uploaded photos or typed up my story yet... Thursday evening perhaps.

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Sentinelist, sorry about the unintended hijack. I'm glad you had a good trip back. If you have any lessons learned to share with us before we head out, I'm all ears. Anything you'd do differently, or take along or be sure to look at before hitting the road that hasn't been mentioned yet?
Hey yeah, get your own thread! Lessons learned will be part of my forthcoming thread later this week, but if you're about ready to do the deed, don't drive fast without cracking the windows or the pressure may pop part of the sunroof out with a scary *BANG* and rushing wind noise like a window on a jet. Bring some coolant, a couple quarts of its oil, a roll of paper/shop towels, duct and electrical tape (and if it's a really long haul home, painter's blue masking tape for the front facia and fender fronts if it has good paint and no bra, especially the fog lights). Keep an eagle eye on engine temperature especially when idling (pit stops). Have access to roadside assistance through someone like AAA- I have it through AT&T for only $4 a month on my bill. Have a smartphone with data plan and charger or old school maps for navigation. Powerwash all the bugs off as soon as you get home and not a day later so they don't bake on in the sun. Bring along some good CDs. Go ad-hoc, staying at random hotels in good areas along the way whenever you get tired. Pull off for historical markers, scenic two-lane byways (in cellular coverage just in case), and random diners. It's a great opportunity to experience America, and a great lifelong bonding opportunity you and your son will remember.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I'm in Carrollton btw....was driving mine quite a bit today! Weather is great
Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by racerxrick
I'm in Carrollton btw....was driving mine quite a bit today! Weather is great
Cool! Indeed. I'm pretty slammed for the next couple weeks- I'll reach out to you soon for a quick meetup at least.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:45 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Would Cars & Coffee on Saturday 11/5 be do-able for you guys?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Haha, thanks, I'm still recovering from 'jet lag' on Sunday. Been driving it a bunch getting to know it around my town, learning quirks. Haven't uploaded photos or typed up my story yet... Thursday evening perhaps.

Hey yeah, get your own thread! Lessons learned will be part of my forthcoming thread later this week, but if you're about ready to do the deed, don't drive fast without cracking the windows or the pressure may pop part of the sunroof out with a scary *BANG* and rushing wind noise like a window on a jet. Bring some coolant, a couple quarts of its oil, a roll of paper/shop towels, duct and electrical tape (and if it's a really long haul home, painter's blue masking tape for the front facia and fender fronts if it has good paint and no bra, especially the fog lights). Keep an eagle eye on engine temperature especially when idling (pit stops). Have access to roadside assistance through someone like AAA- I have it through AT&T for only $4 a month on my bill. Have a smartphone with data plan and charger or old school maps for navigation. Powerwash all the bugs off as soon as you get home and not a day later so they don't bake on in the sun. Bring along some good CDs. Go ad-hoc, staying at random hotels in good areas along the way whenever you get tired. Pull off for historical markers, scenic two-lane byways (in cellular coverage just in case), and random diners. It's a great opportunity to experience America, and a great lifelong bonding opportunity you and your son will remember.
Oh yeah the sun roof! I heard that sound on my first drive home. The micros switch is kinda weird on mine and you have to press it just right to clamp it down.

So I never use the freaking thing and I know Clark's... plastic gears strip yad,yad...just press your hand against the back of the sun roof to make sure it's clamped down and you'll be fine. Better still ask the present owner to check it for you!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Medski
Instructor

Speaking of sunroof, It was pretty clamped on mine and wasn't leaking at all in heavy rain. But it flooded my back seats when I wased it with the pressure ose. (It's all good now)
Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I can probably do that...and then head to work from there.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Maybe- please ask me again that week.

Quick Reply: Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?