Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:38 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'd still be bawling my eyes out, lol... makes me sad just watching all the 944 fire videos on youtube...

PS: Now I'm getting paranoid, kinda want to get new fuel lines, I'm pretty sure mine are original.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by BlackOp
I think that's what affectionately known as "insurance".....
I wonder how much 'insurance' pays for crispy 951s...
Old 10-14-2011, 12:57 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
I wonder how much 'insurance' pays for crispy 951s...
Local lister to me got north of 10K when his went up.... he had an agreed value policy.

You can obsess every little thing on the car, which is brand new to you.. or you can depart with the belief that the PPI was performed properly!

I am sure there are plenty of listers along the way that can help if you need it, just need someone to get in touch with to relay a call for help on here, and I am sure someone will jump in!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Local lister to me got north of 10K when his went up.... he had an agreed value policy.

You can obsess every little thing on the car, which is brand new to you.. or you can depart with the belief that the PPI was performed properly!

I am sure there are plenty of listers along the way that can help if you need it, just need someone to get in touch with to relay a call for help on here, and I am sure someone will jump in!
Good to know. I'm departing with the belief that the PPI was performed properly! I know the mechanic well now and have full faith in his work. Got the final verdict just now, and the car is solid! Needs nothing major for a long time now and anything it does are small middling things that don't make a difference. I just got off the phone with him, and then called the seller to negotiate- worked out a deal for $7250 (I'm also paying $800 to the mechanic for aux. belts, hoses, PPI). I'm giddy! Already bought my plane ticket a week ago and the seller is going to pick me up at the airport tomorrow and take me over. Can't. Wait. Heading to the bank to wire the funds to him now...

Still trying to decide my route home tomorrow- seller also mentioned and pushed the Natchez Trace! Will figure it out tonight. If anyone's in that area or along I-40 between Nashville and Dallas, please let me know though I should be fine- I have more confidence in the car now and roadside assistance.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The major culprit of fuel line fires is the small jumper line going from the rail to the damper. I have a brand new one if you want a little insurance.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Zims in Bedford probably has a DME relay in-stock if you really want one.

On your way back down from the Ozarks, take AR23 out of Eureka Springs down to 71 and into Mena, AR. From Mena, take AR88 to OK1 into Talihena, OK. The road is called the Talihena Scenic Byway, and is a great drive. Probably the best road within a few hours of the metromess if you ask me.

Good luck with the car!
been there, done that (all the roads mentioned) IN THE 951! Awesome!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:49 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Butters944
Just saying, 87 octane does just fine, it's all I've been running for over a year. Only reason you'd need higher octane is if your engine is "pinging". If this doesn't occur, then using a high octane gasoline is only an unnecessary waste of money.
you're N/A right?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Yes. I suppose 951s may be different...
Old 10-14-2011, 04:56 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your at the half way point of your journey and you hear a loud pop! The car won't rev past 4000 and you hear a sound like a water fall, go straight to the throttle body to inter cooler hose! Just pop it back on and be on your way!

Usually pops off half way through a virgin trip, usually at night somewhere with bad lighting!Ask me how I know!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schip43
If your at the half way point of your journey and you hear a loud pop! The car won't rev past 4000 and you hear a sound like a water fall, go straight to the throttle body to inter cooler hose! Just pop it back on and be on your way!

Usually pops off half way through a virgin trip, usually at night somewhere with bad lighting!Ask me how I know!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:13 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

BTW...I'm in the Dallas area so give me a shout! Live in Carrollton and work in Grapevine.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

oh...and if you need a recommendation for a good 944 tech in the Dallas area I can make one (Rennlister "Phlip"). I've used him on my car and the work has been excellent, on time and fair priced. The Ft. Worth area has Don Istook as well, and I've heard a bunch of first hand accounts of his work (for many years!)..
Old 10-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I suggest, if possible, looking at the accessory drive belt tensioners to make sure they are not falling off or loose or damaged. On long drives these can become a problem. If they are tightened one of the wrong ways they can get damaged and then eventually fall off. Few people realize that you can operate the jackscews with the end bolts still tight as well as the pivot bolts. The turnbuckle or jackscrew affords enough leverage to break those bolts, mounting ears, etc.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I suggest, if possible, looking at the accessory drive belt tensioners to make sure they are not falling off or loose or damaged. On long drives these can become a problem. If they are tightened one of the wrong ways they can get damaged and then eventually fall off. Few people realize that you can operate the jackscews with the end bolts still tight as well as the pivot bolts. The turnbuckle or jackscrew affords enough leverage to break those bolts, mounting ears, etc.
excellent point as I struggled with this for quite a while when i first purchased my 951. I recall a road trip (in the Ozarks!) where the tensioner failed for the A/C...s
Old 10-14-2011, 06:34 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxrick
excellent point as I struggled with this for quite a while when i first purchased my 951. I recall a road trip (in the Ozarks!) where the tensioner failed for the A/C...s
Was it dark and the halfway point of the trip?

Quick Reply: Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?