Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saying, 87 octane does just fine, it's all I've been running for over a year. Only reason you'd need higher octane is if your engine is "pinging". If this doesn't occur, then using a high octane gasoline is only an unnecessary waste of money.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sun Glasses
Form of payment for gas and food
insurance card

Youth finds a destination and goes, wisdom finds a direction and goes...
Old 10-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Wow, thanks all for the great feedback and suggestions. Good enough to respond to all...

Originally Posted by ChrisJ951
944online.com has the lowest price. I just ordered 2. Call them now and they should be able to get it to you overnight. 1-866-944-stuf
Thanks!

Originally Posted by pnbell
If you haven't spent a lot of time in a RWD Turbo take it easy in the turns... BOOST can sneak up and slap your backend sideways!
<--- You'll make this face!

Getting the DME Relay by tomorrow might be tough... Hopefully you won't need it though. However NOW that we have Jinx'd you..

You can Jumper the Relay to make it drive; Just make sure to remove it when the car is park -because your fuel pump will run until it breaks itself...

Familiarize yourself with this page/site
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-05.htm

Congrats, and Good Luck!! Look forward to seeing you around the Forum!
That's right, I forgot about the temporary jumper solution! Will do for this trip. I'll get a relay soon to keep in the glovebox (when it won't cost $55 to ship). I've already got Clark's bookmarked and have looked at it for a few things so far- will have that as an iPhone bookmark on the road if needed as well, ha.

I've never driven a 951 and am actually buying the car sight unseen besides a couple dozen photos, and it's the first RWD car I've had since a CJ-7 in high school. It's going to take some time getting used to that dynamic again but in an entirely different vehicle. I intend on starting out with it wherever with the same driving expectations as a Cutlass 88! No tomfoolery until I know the car, especially on said backroads. Thanks for the welcome!

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
Why not stop by a local harbor freight and grab some vice grips, assorted wrenches, screwdrivers, electrical wire (couple of pieces), fuses, hose clamps, Flashlight, maybe a pair of disposable coveralls, haynes manual etc. I'm not talking the expensive tools either, a cheap set of tools just for the car. $40 bucks worth of tools could get you out of a tight jam if your stranded in the dark on a quiet road. (can you tell that I've done this kind of stuff before?)

Good luck, and share your trip adventure when you return!
This is a good idea- worth it for this trip alone. And I must have another 'list' on my other computer as I forgot to list a few of these same items I already noted. Thanks! Will definitely share trip story and photos soon.

Originally Posted by s14kev
I'm in nashville. I would recommend you take natchez trace parkway on the way home.

I have a spare DME relay etc but really, all I would recommend you buy is a premium AAA membership.
Thanks- I've got roadside assistance through AT&T worst case scenario, so I'm covered (should have mentioned). Looked up the Natchez Trace Pkwy- will consider!

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Tire plug kit
Good one- thanks.

Originally Posted by Van
Radar detector.
I should have mentioned I'm bringing a duffel bag with obvious things like a change of clothes, a toothbrush, and my V1.

Originally Posted by f1rocks
When are you picking it up? Head out to Nashville Superspeedway.....we are having a Friday Porsche only event. We'll put her through a couple laps and if anything is going to break, that would be the place!!

Seriously, I do have a NIB DME relay you can have if you're near the south side of Nashville. Probably about any other spare part you would want to take along as well. Think of anything you can't get in time drop me a line and I'll dig it up.

+1 on the Natchez Trace. Start at the Lovelace Cafe, Papa Boudreaux's for Cajun sadly it's not a fast road....but the sites are beautiful.
Argh, Saturday- thank you for the offer. Sounds like a great time and wish I could make it! I'd be the slowest and most paranoid guy out there with an hour's worth of ownership under my belt! I may PM you and swing by for that DME and other interesting bits- lemme keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by fittrjoe
throw a bottle of chevron fuel injector cleaner with "techron " in the gas tank before you go ...and of course 93 octane on the gas.
enjoy and let us know how it goes
Good idea and will do. It will get Chevron/Texaco 93 continuously to keep that up once it gets back to Dallas.

Originally Posted by divil
Wow you are so organized...I bought mine in Atlanta when I was living in North Dakota (1500 miles) - as soon as the guy gave me the keys I just got in and drove it back. I had the clothes I was wearing and a radar detector . I even had to stop to buy sunglasses! I had no trouble but I think you're right to take precautions. Congrats! A 951 is a gift that keeps on giving.
That is awesome, and pretty much what I'm doing. Packing light with one bag, clothes on my back, sunglasses, my V1, and a prayer. Did this last year to NJ with a B5 A4 I bought (and just sold for this). I can't wait! Thanks.

Originally Posted by BlackOp
Think of a good alibi to explain the ****-eating grin on your face....driving through the Ozarks would be a blast.

DME and a tire patch kit ....did you have the mechanic change the gear oil? Might be a good time before such a long trip. Are the fuel lines original...you want to swap those asap. They can rupture/leak from age. I drove my 951 600 miles the day after I bought it...ran like a champ. Trial by fire.
No doubt! Thank you for reminding me about the fuel lines- asking about that this afternoon for sure.

Originally Posted by 87 944 C
tire plug kit, 10mm and 13mm 3/8 sockets, 3/8 ratchet, phillipshead/flathead screwdriver, vice grips, 10/13MM wrench, fire extinquisher, coolant/water, oil

make sure the spare tire is ok to drive on.
Roger that- thanks.

Originally Posted by BlackOp
If you change the fuel lines...probably wont need the fire extinguisher. I'd do that instead of buying one.
Good point- I'll go that route and make sure they're OK. Thank you.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:42 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Butters944
Just saying, 87 octane does just fine, it's all I've been running for over a year. Only reason you'd need higher octane is if your engine is "pinging". If this doesn't occur, then using a high octane gasoline is only an unnecessary waste of money.
Pretty sure the 951 is speced for premium?

Whatever it says on the gas door is what he needs to put in, mine certainly can't run on 87?

Even my Tercel uses 89.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Mine says 91 oktan on the gas door, but 87 is perfectly fine
Old 10-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

87 would be fine for long distance cruising under low load conditions. Save some money and use it. If you plan on doing any spirited driving, put premium in.

Where in N. Texas are you? I'm from Arlington and visit home when I can.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 PM
bordin34
Pro

I think my 86 N/A says to use 91 RON, which is 87 AKI or regular gas in the US.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Zims in Bedford probably has a DME relay in-stock if you really want one.

On your way back down from the Ozarks, take AR23 out of Eureka Springs down to 71 and into Mena, AR. From Mena, take AR88 to OK1 into Talihena, OK. The road is called the Talihena Scenic Byway, and is a great drive. Probably the best road within a few hours of the metromess if you ask me.

Good luck with the car!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Not sure I'm going to try anything less than premium- car has a chip (APE?) as well and any decent German turbo mill I've ever seen requires 93. My S8 and my wife's H.O. V8 Grand Cherokee also demands it. I think the last car I didn't use premium in was that old CJ-7 in high school... wait no... it also started requiring premium to prevent knocking! I'm used to it, but thanks.

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Zims in Bedford probably has a DME relay in-stock if you really want one.

On your way back down from the Ozarks, take AR23 out of Eureka Springs down to 71 and into Mena, AR. From Mena, take AR88 to OK1 into Talihena, OK. The road is called the Talihena Scenic Byway, and is a great drive. Probably the best road within a few hours of the metromess if you ask me.

Good luck with the car!
Duly noted and thanks! Hope to run into you at a meet soon.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:31 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Btw, asked the mechanic about the fuel lines and he said they were the originals but looked really good and didn't show any sign of concern. He said back by the fuel filter is where they will start leaking eventually and be an issue. I have no idea what all this looks like yet, but good to know what to look for. Maybe I'll get the fire extinguisher anyway, but he wasn't worried about it whatsoever and has changed many of them out in the past.

Finalizing the TBA price with the seller finally and wiring him the funds tomorrow afternoon.

f1rocks- sent you a PM for the DME.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

IMO...and from the research I've done...that is one of the two things you dont mess around with. Nobody "waits" for their fuel lines to leak then decides to replace them. They are located right above the exhaust manifold. Do a search of 944 fires...its the main 944 killer behind TB failure. Just a word to the wise..I dont want to make you paranoid but for $80 and 30 minutes of work..

If you get an extinguisher...make sure it wont ruin aluminum.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Hrmmm... paranoia setting in... Thanks for the estimate, I'll see if that might be an option tomorrow.

Good call on the extinguisher check!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:53 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Hrmmm... paranoia setting in... Thanks for the estimate, I'll see if that might be an option tomorrow.

Good call on the extinguisher check!
I mean..you're probably OK but those are 25 year old rubber lines with a history of setting these cars on fire. I'm sure the guy in that video thought he was OK too..Ha.

Last edited by BlackOp; 10-14-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Is it me or does the owner seem to not be flipping out enough over his burned to crap 951???
Old 10-14-2011, 04:19 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

I think that's what affectionately known as "insurance".....

Quick Reply: Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?