Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It all started with a spun bearing....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by xschop

because they realized they could have a V8.

Originally Posted by Hollywood D
What does a typical V8 swap cost?

it varies. mine with top end transmission will be about $27 K.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damnit, now you bastages really have me thinking lol
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

With an attempt to get back on topic here... Forgive me if I missed something but did anyone look at the original motor to try and figure out what happened? Certainly the OPRV could be the issue for the new motor going bad, but I doubt that the OPRV moved itself causing the motor to go bad in the first place. I guess it could have just been its "time" but just wondering as it does not sound like it was any sort of operator error having owned the car so long... How many miles on the original motor?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Water under the bridge but no oil pressure is pretty common on a rebuilt or overhauled 944 motor. Both shops should be questioned, the first for not researching this common problem and the second for not suggesting it when contacted about the warranty. How does a shop or a rebuilder not know the most common cause of no oil pressure after reassembly?

Both shops are dumb and culpable and I suggest they both agree to never mention their dumbness again in public and consider the money invested as the cost of education. Sheesh.

Tell them they could have used "the google" to look up "porsche 944 no oil pressure" and gotten a free clue in the first four hits, but instead they took a much more expensive and time consuming path.

Stupid sure ain't cheap.
-Joel.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see where the OP should be paying for ANYTHING past the agreed-to cost of the original scope of work. As painful as it may be, let the two shops have their pissing match. IMO the 1st shop is the one that needs to suck it up, big time.

Re: that Ruf V8; it sounded cool until I saw "a former Porsche engine designer" did the new engine... no thanks.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:14 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

all this to have 4 cylinders?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
all this to have 4 cylinders?
IF the OP had KNOWN this ahead of time I am sure he would have gone another route. Now he has to try to work out of this mess BEFORE he goes to bat with something different.

Not to disagree with anybody, especially guys I like here , but IF I was geting a V8 car it would either be an older American car with a moster rat motor in it. Or I would go down and get one of the Earnhardt Special Camaros or something.

The first is something you can build and not get too much in to it and still have a pretty good car that somone would want if you sell it. Or just have fun.

The second is something not everybody has and would be a good car - even if I aint big on GM and Chevy. It will probably hold it's value well enough too.

A big motor Porsche job. You better plan on keeping it. Your money is in it. And it probably aint coming out. Porsche guys want the real thing. And the V8 crowd don't want a German car.

And then there is the issue of all the other goodies to keep the car going while that V8 is wrecking stuff.

Of course I agree that the Porsche design is not everything it could be. Jeebus I have a 951. The spider web of hoses and a plumbers nightmare much less all the other crap that can, and does, go wrong with these cars. When you look at the records and history on my car as we did in another thread - it makes you want to go sell the thing and hope you never see another one.

But driving it is nice enough. And for its time it was a thing to have.

Well until I step into my buddies Panamera, or Garys XLR Cadillac, or even my wifes Infiniti M37S. These cars are a whole other world away from the 951 or any of these type cars.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:31 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JJK78
With an attempt to get back on topic here... Forgive me if I missed something but did anyone look at the original motor to try and figure out what happened? Certainly the OPRV could be the issue for the new motor going bad, but I doubt that the OPRV moved itself causing the motor to go bad in the first place. I guess it could have just been its "time" but just wondering as it does not sound like it was any sort of operator error having owned the car so long... How many miles on the original motor?
After the initial failure, the motor which was the original one, was completely seized. I made a decision, independent of anyone else that I would replace the short block. My thinking was this would get me back to baseline with engine maintenance. I would have a fresh motor. So we did not waste time trying to find the failure mode of the old motor....the new failure has nothing to do with that, it was an error during reassembly, the oil cooler was not properly aligned.
Number two rod bearing failure is fairly common on these engines...oil starvation. The old bearing was paper thin.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how did this become a v8 thread? Sorry Pete for your situation. My newly built motor in my turbo lost oil pressure on the track after a fresh rebuild but luckily i shut it down and fixed it immediately. I have a one piece OPRV that fits an early block if you want- thats what i put in my turbo after this happened- much less chance of this happening because the plunger is inside a housing instead of floating in the block. PM me if you want it- they are quite expensive- $300 new i'll cut that in half as its still like new but its used. As for the v8 thing i am a big fan but for the money you could do alot. Not everyone needs 400 hp to be happy with their car. Ive had my fair share of rebuilds but each of my cars have done quite well without resorting to americanizing them. No voodoo science to building a good 944 motor you just cant get parts at autozone so that freaks people out.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear Pete.

I hate being caught in the middle, but if it drags out too much with your car in the limbo, then I would be tempted to negotiate some middle ground and eat some of the cost myself just to get back and running. That becomes more of a thought for us northerners with such a short driving season, losing a month or two wipes out most of the season.

I to like the v8 idea, but the investment is pretty steep, compared to what you get out of it. BTW I know of a v8 swaped 944 locally and the guy can't get $5k for it. Some are done well, others are hack jobs. Even with all my modding/building experience, I would not touch a car like that because I know you could buy one messy can of viscious money eating mutant worms.

Good luck with the car
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by xsboost90
how did this become a v8 thread? Sorry Pete for your situation. My newly built motor in my turbo lost oil pressure on the track after a fresh rebuild but luckily i shut it down and fixed it immediately. I have a one piece OPRV that fits an early block if you want- thats what i put in my turbo after this happened- much less chance of this happening because the plunger is inside a housing instead of floating in the block. PM me if you want it- they are quite expensive- $300 new i'll cut that in half as its still like new but its used. As for the v8 thing i am a big fan but for the money you could do alot. Not everyone needs 400 hp to be happy with their car. Ive had my fair share of rebuilds but each of my cars have done quite well without resorting to americanizing them. No voodoo science to building a good 944 motor you just cant get parts at autozone so that freaks people out.
Because they all seem to become swap threads anymore.. since certain people went that way, they feel EVERYONE should go that way!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggested the V8 swap because it would be less expensive or equal to a 4-banger rebuild and at least double the power upgrade. The V8 torque will make you sick that you didn't do the swap long ago. I've already put almost 20k HARD miles on my 5.3 (Yes an iron-block LS1 essentially with Z06 cam) and the only thing I've had to do maintenance on is the damn 944 Power Steering pump that still has a small leak at the hose that I need to replace! With TPC banging out a swap kit for less than $2k and LS based motors for $1500 or more....why not take a walk on the wild side.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZR8ED

I would not touch a car like that because I know you could buy one messy can of viscious money eating mutant worms.

Good luck with the car

no way. there are so many epic builds out there with bulletproof results and nearly zero issues... Mike Goki got it started in Ft. Lauderdale, then a shop in NC, and now TPC... compare that to dating a strung out, supermodel after she takes you for every cent you've got, and finally when you want it, she comes home 7 hours late and passes out in front of the door (racing and daily driving a 944T).... not one aspect of the V8 swap hasn't been solved. guys like Eric Hill have it down w/ everything from ac to brakes to putting down the power.

you can run a cam and loud exhaust, and drive a car that sounds like **** and goes really fast, or run more cubic inches, a stock cam, y-pipe, resonator and big Magnaflow and end up with a very quiet, smooth, production-supercar driving experience that also goes really fast....

Tony G races and after thousands and thousands of miles, and like 6 seasons, finally blew out a used engine.... needed to replace some tired cv joints. (i believe he blew out a second set, but not sure what the issue was there), and with now w/ XSChop's bulletproof units now in there, he'll be heading back to victory lane.

Originally Posted by ZR8ED

I know of a v8 swaped 944 locally and the guy can't get $5k for it.

a 968 with a moderately built LS1 sold in June in a buy-it-now for $17k the car was stellar and no mechanical issues whatsoever. the seller had a mortgage problem and the guy who got it got a car with $ 30 k + invested.

the only way i will be ever selling my car is for scrap if i wreck it. then i'd be moving all the parts over to a new tub.

Originally Posted by TexasRider

And then there is the issue of all the other goodies to keep the car going while that V8 is wrecking stuff.

as for the V8 wrecking stuff, you're talking about apples and oranges. and driving a properly built car and not beating on it will save you $$$ on blown clutches, imput shaft explosions and twisted cv joints.

no reason to drive it like *** when you've got all that power. i hope.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

It'll be easier to fix your oil pressure problem than it will be to fix this thread...
Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by odurandina
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/v8s-rule/

V8′s Rule!

By Bob Elton on July 25, 2006

All cars should have a V8...

For one thing, the modern eight cylinder engine is inherently balanced; it has completely overlapping power impulses. In other words, one cylinder fires before the previous cylinder has finished contributing, creating a much smoother power delivery with fewer impulses. That’s why a V8 can use the same drivetrain components as a much smaller four cylinder engine with half the displacement. There is no need for secondary balance shafts, and no unpleasant vibrations to annoy the passengers and reduce the life of the exhaust system and other accessories. It’s the smoothest engine configuration money can buy.

keep reading; http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/v8s-rule/
Now that right there is some funny stuff. That guy has NO FREAKIN' CLUE how engines work.

Quick Reply: It all started with a spun bearing....