Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence, weigh in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011 | 12:27 AM
Korsair970
Advanced

Default On the fence, weigh in?

So there's a downed 83' 944 about three hours from me. Now I was planning on working myself to death and selling off some art and probably my ailing honda so I just just buy a nice 85.5+ and just enjoy that for a while.

However, I just spotted this car with a less than a grand asking price. It's not too far away, and I could rustle up a friend with a truck without much trouble for that distance.

Sight unseen it looks decent, new tires and some other parts. Cranks but does not run, owner suggests fuel pump and such.

I'm thinking of heading there to take a look on my next day off. I might get lucky and get it running for the price of a fuel pump and Belts/waterpump.

I figure a month of work on and off would get it running, considering the selection of beer where I work, I think I can get some help with the usual work and getting it running.

I figure I can get it running for an occasional drive or as a back up if the honda dies. Then I'll be able to chill out a bit and save up for a 6-8K car instead of just blitzing my finances and snagging a 3-4K car...

What do you guys think?
Old 07-10-2011 | 12:05 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

First welcome, would this be your first 944 rodeo?

It is hard to get into these cars half way as a 'project' car. So many simple jobs can be complex your first time doing them, after that its a piece of cake.

I purchased a $1,000 944 NA then a $600 parts car. I knew it would be ALOT of work going in. And I cannot cut many corners as this is serving as my daily (650 miles a week) driver (yes I have a couple of back ups). IF you have the skill or at least the drive to learn about the cars and the space I say go for it.

They remind me of a line off of Top Gear....
"the thing about this car is that it's like your two year old child...often times it irratates the crap out of you but if anyone tried to take it from you you would kill them."

good luck and keep us posted

michael
Old 07-10-2011 | 12:31 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

where are you? listers might be able to help
Old 07-10-2011 | 01:26 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

My dme Just developed an issue where the car will not start ;but will crank... tap on the dme and tada car starts! Likely Needs to be re-soldered.
Check for fuel in the fuel rail, spark at the spark plugs, and compression.
Old 07-10-2011 | 03:21 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

If you have to pay to get it working then it'll probably cost more than it's worth. On the other hand if you have decent tools and stuff, a place to work on the thing and you know your way around a 944 it can be a rewarding experience.
Old 07-10-2011 | 03:25 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

What jim says. Depends on your tolerance for doing the work yourself and the time you have. You can easily spend more to fix up a beat car than to buy a nice one up front. But the pride of making it yours through blood sweat and tears (and wallet) cannot be purchased

83's are nice for manual steering and forged rods, but the later cars have much nicer interiors. Good luck either way!
Old 07-10-2011 | 04:04 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

I would buy it and fix it up, but don't get rid of it for a nicer one right away. Fixing it up to the point of it being a "nicer one" is a rewarding experience, and you will love the car much more if you have your blood sweat and tears into it... What schwank said.
Old 07-10-2011 | 11:09 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Do yourself a favor and read this thread first:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...1500-944s.html
Old 07-12-2011 | 11:24 PM
Korsair970
Advanced

Well haven't had a chance to reply but first off I took a friend's shift at work when I was planning to see the car and it's already gone guess it was a good deal after all.

I've been lurking for the better part of a year. I've had a fair few false starts with 944s, even had a Carbed 924 for a few days before the 'clean' title just turned out to be too much of a mess to deal with.

I've got the rest of the summer and I've gotta delay school until next year so time, a large driveway, and a job that takes all of 30 seconds to get to by car make it pretty easy to buckle down and get to work on a car.

Idle hands are driving me crazy at this point. I've been pretty set on a 924 with a suspension swap or an early 944 project. Leaning towards the 944 since it's still by far one of my favorite cars of all time.

Well this has popped up on my radar, I might go check it out with a friend tomorrow...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/2483818083.html

I actually live in Flower Mound so not difficult to see at all. The paint scares me a bit, and then it will be interesting to see just how it's running. I'm under the impression he's asking a good bit too much, so we'll see.

Otherwise, about halfway through August I'll have a chunk saved up and will be looking for something in the North Texas area. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone is in Flower Mound - I've seen a few 944s here, pm me or drop by the whip-in and look for the guy with the Fedora, I'm nearly always there I'll buy you a Hacker - Pschorr and we'll talk trans-axel 944s.
Old 07-13-2011 | 05:35 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Butters944
I would buy it and fix it up, but don't get rid of it for a nicer one right away. Fixing it up to the point of it being a "nicer one" is a rewarding experience, and you will love the car much more if you have your blood sweat and tears into it... What schwank said.
Ditto to what schank said.

Bummer you missed out on it. Be patient, another will pop up.

Quick Reply: On the fence, weigh in?