Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New windsheild experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New windsheild experience

The Nevada DMV is the worlds worst place on the planet, with the most asinine laws in the world. The will not, under any circumstances allow a car to pass inspection with any flaw in the windshield. Nothing. Must be perfect glass. My windshield had a crack so low, it couldn't even be seen from the driver seat.... So anyway (Rant over)...

...I called Safelite yesterday to get a new windshield installed. I specifically asked the sales lady if they used Chinese glass, and she said no. They do not use inferior aftermarket glass.....

So, Safelite installer shows up with a brand new Chinese windshield. We discussed it for a min, and he said he would call the warehouse, and see if they had a Sekurit in stock. They had one in stock and delivered it out to my house within 30min (And added $40 for the "real" glass). The weight difference is amazing. The Sekurit weighs a good 3 or 4lbs more than the Chinese glass. Well worth the extra $40.

I went with the early windshield without the antenna, because the antenna windshield is double the price (common RL knowledge). What is also RL common knowledge is that the early windshield is just a tiny bit smaller than the late windshield.... And, I'm sorry, but the difference is WAY more than I am happy with. Does it work...yes. It is noticeably smaller, even after the installation. The early cars roofs are about 3/4" more narrow than the late cars. The bottom of the glass fits reasonably. The top has a HUGE gap (A fingers width on both sides). The installer used the widest molding he had, and its just barely enough to cover the gap.

It is sealed, and won't leak.... but I am not happy with it. This is one area where I think RL common knowledge, or opinion, isn't correct. I did the early windshield to save $300....but if I could spare the extra cash, I would most certainly get the late glass. JMHO of course....but it really looks bad, and I'm sure, because the glue joint is so big, its not nearly as secure as a properly glued in late windshield.

Sekurit windshield installed at my house for $304.27. The Sekurit Late antenna glass was exactly $300 more, for 604.27.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know about the Sekurit and Chinese windshields. I'll be replacing mine soon.

Is there an obvious way to tell it is a Sekurit?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doabarrelroll
Good to know about the Sekurit and Chinese windshields. I'll be replacing mine soon.

Is there an obvious way to tell it is a Sekurit?
Other than the SEKURIT name on the glass, the DOT number is 60 (Which denotes Finland, as the country of origin, which is where Sekurit glass is made.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:39 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damnit Mark. They keep putting you through the ringer here don't they?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full Glass Coverage on your Insurance policy is a worth while option -if available... I have StateFarm and have never paid for any of my new windshields!

When i bought my 944 the guy installed a new windshield the same day I bought it (because a crack); and it is the late model with antenna. He told me his insurance policy covered it too...
Old 05-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on glass coverage. Especially in upstate NY where the salt/stones from winter don't leave the road until August.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LUCKYJACKASS
Damnit Mark. They keep putting you through the ringer here don't they?
Dude, I am so sick of this DMV. Even going once a year for the annual renewal is a joke. FINALLY today, I got my temp. permit, so I can go have the DMV inspect my car (Yeah, it has to be inspected TWICE to turn a salvage title into a rebuilt title. Once by an independent shop, and again by the DMV). So, I'll go do that tomorrow or Friday, so I can get my plates back.

Originally Posted by pnbell
Full Glass Coverage on your Insurance policy is a worth while option -if available... I have StateFarm and have never paid for any of my new windshields!

When i bought my 944 the guy installed a new windshield the same day I bought it (because a crack); and it is the late model with antenna. He told me his insurance policy covered it too...
Originally Posted by Dan Shea
+1 on glass coverage. Especially in upstate NY where the salt/stones from winter don't leave the road until August.
State farm will not cover glass in the state of Nevada. When I lived in Colorado, I got a new windshield every year with State Farm. In Nevada, no matter what level of insurance you have, they won't cover glass....even in an estimate for a wreck. Glass is always your responsibility.

And.... I WILL be switching insurance companies as soon as I get my rebuilt title back. I am not happy at all with the way State Farm handled my wreck.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
State farm will not cover glass in the state of Nevada. When I lived in Colorado, I got a new windshield every year with State Farm. In Nevada, no matter what level of insurance you have, they won't cover glass....even in an estimate for a wreck. Glass is always your responsibility.

I can't say I blame them. What are the chances of getting sand blasted or catching a rock in NV, NM, AZ, or UT? Pretty durn close to 100%. That's why they're called the Rocky Mtns.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Pretty sure USAA doesn't have a seperate glass coverage rider, it's part of the comprehensive coverage. So unless you pay out the wazoo for a zero comp deductible, you get to pay for windshields.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
It is sealed, and won't leak.... but I am not happy with it. This is one area where I think RL common knowledge, or opinion, isn't correct. I did the early windshield to save $300....but if I could spare the extra cash, I would most certainly get the late glass. JMHO of course....but it really looks bad, and I'm sure, because the glue joint is so big, its not nearly as secure as a properly glued in late windshield.
Actually, it's you who's incorrect and it's the fault of your installer. I'm currently on my 4th windshield. Two of them have been the cheap ***** glass too. Out of those two, one of them had been improperly installed, removed, then correctly installed. If you're not happy with the outcome, then you should be calling Safelite to come back out to remove and reset the glass, preferably by someone who knows what they're doing.

I already know at least one thing your installer did wrong. If he can't cover the gaps, then he didn't reset the setting blocks at the bottom of the windshield. Those set the gap across the top where it meets the roofline. He has them too low. The other thing he probably did wrong is not remove all the old urethane. The smaller glass has to have an entire new urethane bed - it can't go on top of the old at all.

This is the chinese glass. The lip trim is 1mm wider than the factory 1985.5+ trim.

I have since had the correct Securit antenna glass installed.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Shea
Hey Dan Shea, I live in Rochester my entire life! Just moved to DC about two years ago... There is so much I miss about Rochester! Such a great city, sadly the weather, and poor job market pushed me to move...
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, so I gotta ask, SAFELITE had a SEKURIT IN STOCK? and it was just $40 MORE?!

Wow. I went to Safelite not long ago, and the cheap aftermarket **** was $400. the Sekurit was $900, and I had to wait a week for them to get it... And Safelite did the pleasure of gluing the V1 cord to my new windshield too Your new windshield has the antenna in it?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:20 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CurtP
Actually, it's you who's incorrect and it's the fault of your installer. I'm currently on my 4th windshield. Two of them have been the cheap ***** glass too. Out of those two, one of them had been improperly installed, removed, then correctly installed. If you're not happy with the outcome, then you should be calling Safelite to come back out to remove and reset the glass, preferably by someone who knows what they're doing.

I already know at least one thing your installer did wrong. If he can't cover the gaps, then he didn't reset the setting blocks at the bottom of the windshield. Those set the gap across the top where it meets the roofline. He has them too low. The other thing he probably did wrong is not remove all the old urethane. The smaller glass has to have an entire new urethane bed - it can't go on top of the old at all.
This is what I mean. Its pretty clear that your ideas about "fits fine" and mine are completely different.

I watched, and assisted for the entire process. All of the urethane was removed, and the adjustment blocks were adjusted as well.

The gap at the top/bottom is fine...because it can be adjusted for. The gap on the lower sides is fine (As I stated above). Its the gap on the upper sides that is wrong. It is easily 3/4 of an inch to narrow. I can fit a finger between the glass, and the frame, on each side. I would guess that the roof on the early cars is more narrow than the roof on the late cars, because the glass is more narrow at the top.

FWIW, your pics look just like mine. Go out to your car, and lift up the rubber trim on yours, and see how you like the gap on the sides, near the top. If you are happy with the trim covering up the gap, then that's great. I personally don't like to sweep messes under the rug.

The installer was actually very good. When we noticed there was a problem, he took his time, and made it as right as possible (And made sure I agreed that it was as right as it was gonna get).

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Ok, so I gotta ask, SAFELITE had a SEKURIT IN STOCK? and it was just $40 MORE?!

Wow. I went to Safelite not long ago, and the cheap aftermarket **** was $400. the Sekurit was $900, and I had to wait a week for them to get it... And Safelite did the pleasure of gluing the V1 cord to my new windshield too Your new windshield has the antenna in it?
They did have a Sekurit in stock, but it is the early glass. No antenna. They also had the Sekurit glass in stock with the antenna...for $300 more. I don't know why a little piece of wire is so much money. Supply and demand I guess.

The difference between the Sekurit, and the Chinese glass is amazing. Not only is the Sekurit heavier, but its clearer. They are both shaded, but the Chinese glass was fuzzy. I asked the guy if there was a plastic protective film over the glass...he said no

The only way you would see the difference, is if you could put both of the windshields side by side... which I could.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah. I'm an OEM glass kinda guy so I don't put cheap **** on my car. I always specify sekurit for my windshields. And with my insurance, it costs $100 either way.... so doesn't hurt
Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I never said "fits fine". It fits, and can be made acceptable to someone who doesn't want to spend the extra for the correct glass. If you went into this thinking that it was going to "fit fine", then that's on you. If the gaps are off, then that's on the installer - he did it wrong. Safelite will come out and fix the problem if you complain. How about posting some pictures of the install and what you see as a problem.

As for the gaps on either side - mine were fine. I had a clear channel for water runoff down either side. If it's too close at the top, then it sounds like the installer may have made the glass sit too high up. IIRC, mine had about a 3/8" gap between the top of the glass and the roofline. I'd go out and measure, but that was two windshields ago. I currently have the correct Sekurit antenna glass in my car, and trust me, it's worth the extra. IIRC, it was $400 for the Sekurit windshield w/antenna in my area. I think it was about two years ago when I had it installed.

Quick Reply: New windsheild experience