Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New windsheild experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
I never said "fits fine". It fits, and can be made acceptable to someone who doesn't want to spend the extra for the correct glass. If you went into this thinking that it was going to "fit fine", then that's on you. If the gaps are off, then that's on the installer - he did it wrong. Safelite will come out and fix the problem if you complain. How about posting some pictures of the install and what you see as a problem.

As for the gaps on either side - mine were fine. I had a clear channel for water runoff down either side. If it's too close at the top, then it sounds like the installer may have made the glass sit too high up. IIRC, mine had about a 3/8" gap between the top of the glass and the roofline. I'd go out and measure, but that was two windshields ago. I currently have the correct Sekurit antenna glass in my car, and trust me, it's worth the extra. IIRC, it was $400 for the Sekurit windshield w/antenna in my area. I think it was about two years ago when I had it installed.
So after all that, you're going to mirror what I already said? lol

It DOES work. I am not happy with the gaps on each side. IF I had the extra $300, I would have gone with the correct antenna glass, that would have fit correctly.

As for me expecting a better fit.... search the 5,000 posts on RL about using the early windshield in a late car. 99% of the posts say it fits, its just a little smaller than the late glass..... it quite a bit smaller. It fits "good enough". I don't like "good enough".

I don't care what windshield anyone gets in their car. The point of this post was to tell my experience with installing the early windshield in a late car. If you were to believe RL common knowledge, there are no issues going this route. I don't think that is true. There are issues...they are just easy to cover up with trim rubber. "Out of sight, out of mind" isn't how I like to do things. If it suits everyone else, that's perfectly fine.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Pretty sure USAA doesn't have a seperate glass coverage rider, it's part of the comprehensive coverage. So unless you pay out the wazoo for a zero comp deductible, you get to pay for windshields.
Depends on your state. FL is zero deductible for windshield, no matter the cause. Free front glass, period.

Yes, I have USAA.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Depends on your state. FL is zero deductible for windshield, no matter the cause. Free front glass, period.
That was one part I loved about living in FL. Oh, and the earlier sand comment doesn't stand up there... you can't be in FL without sand under you or nearby, and that is probably why 100% coverage on windshield glass is a state law.

Last edited by zerMATT951; 05-27-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
If you were to believe RL common knowledge, there are no issues going this route. I don't think that is true. There are issues...they are just easy to cover up with trim rubber. "Out of sight, out of mind" isn't how I like to do things. If it suits everyone else, that's perfectly fine.
Personally, I don't think it's really an "issue" as long as it's installed correctly. A compromise, yes, but not an issue.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

A compromise that saved you a lot of money and that you agree works right and looks right. If you have to lift the trim to notice, then stop lifting the bloody trim lol, or spend the extra $$$s. Thanks for posting though, as mysellf and others, who didn't know this RL common knowledge, may now save a lot of money, if we ever need to fix a front window. Am guessing that most will be just happy they have saved money to spend somewhere else on the car

peace

Quick Reply: New windsheild experience