Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scored a hunk 'o glass

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:28 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scored a hunk 'o glass

Crazy times at the office today. This morning I was at a guy's house 30 miles north of Seattle looking at his 1-owner 1997 Muzzy Raptor 750 with 5k miles. Covered in dust and on flat 14 year old tires. Had to have it so I stroked a cheque and tossed her in the trusty Eurovan.

Dropped that off with my technican friend who may want to buy it. And then I was off to my next appointment 30 miles south of Seattle looking at a guy's 1-owner 2000 Bimota SB8R with 3k miles. This job is like playing Monopoly. When you land on available property you buy. So I did.

And then Bimota guy asked if I wanted his dead '87 951. That was somewhere else of course so we hauled over to have a looksie. 144k, badly faded guards red but straight and never whacked. Daily driver since 1994. Decent black int with factory sport seats. Engine crankie but timing belt no turney. I bought it and made 1 call to a fellow r-lister. He bought it sight unseen and had a flatbed there in an hour. Done deal.

But wait there is more! I seem to have ended up with one of the mythical Saratoga Top dealios. What do I need to know about this unit? Were there different versions, and if so which one is this?

I may sell it, but I'm leaning towards not since I keep telling myself that my 1st p-car ever ('89 951, sold to my cousin in 1998 who still has it) will someday come back to me.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Just love that Bimota. Owning a Bimota has always been a dream of mine. I don't know what a Muzzy Kwaka is but it looks pretty damn sweet too. Are they a tuning house/modders ?

peace
Old 05-22-2011, 09:32 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Muzzy at one time was the Kawasaki AMA race team, Scott Russell was their no1 rider.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:56 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Well now we know why the engine squeaked on the 951 in this thread. The toothed gear on the tensioner came apart ouch

Can anyone help me identify which version Saratoga Top I have?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't help you ID it, but I'll be happy to give you $50 for it...
Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiesan
Crazy times at the office today...
I have no idea about the saratoga top, but I've got to ask; what do you do and how do I do it?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:42 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SAratoga top says SAratoga on it, and my black plastic up front is warped a bit but not cracked. mine had a gold tint. mine also leaked so I replaced the gasket with this one http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/...ogatopseal.jpg
from Home Depot, scraped the old one off with a razor blade and then installed the new one, but it was white, so I got out the trusty magic marker and colored it black, only issue I have now is a bit of a whistle from the wind, so I just crack the top open and it relieves it.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:40 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link showing an early bronze version, you can see the latches go through the glass. Yours is the later gray tint power model, manual models are also out there. GLWS!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...very-rare.html
Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crackership
I have no idea about the saratoga top, but I've got to ask; what do you do and how do I do it?
He is Red Label Moto..

http://heidismets.com/projects/red-label-moto/

His website seems to be in maint mode, but it will come back soon enough...
Old 05-24-2011, 02:50 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crackership
Have your uber cool dad get you a dirtbike when you are 5. Ride the hell out of it until it breaks and get another. Then when you are a big kid refuse to grow up and insist on playing with toys 24/7 instead of "working".

Srsly, I have a small used bike sales store in Seattle. I buy clean trade-ins from all the local big shops and sell them. I also buy from private parties which is the best since I end up in various random garages with first-hand info on all sorts of treasures/oddities. I've been on more wacky car/bike acquisition adventures than I can remember. I consider myself lucky since I truly love my job... I get paid to be a geek all the time, heh

My storefront:

Thats rennlister Barry Johnson (thats his screen name too) on the left. He bought the dead 951 from me:

Organized chaos:

My display stand at the office. Thats a new, 0-mile Ducati 998R up there above my desk:

Here is a 1982 928 that happened when I was buying a guy's 1984 Honda Interceptor. It had 3k miles and was featured in Excellence. Sold to a Rennlister in Austin TX:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...barn-find.html

The infamous 1981 Lamborghini Countach LP400S from a pawn shop:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=189306

Getting some detail work done:

An early swb 912/911 frankencar among friends:

Dragged this thing out from under some bicycles and hamster cages:

A vintage neon sign I rescued from a doa Honda dealer:

A 1998 355F1 Spider from a bereavement sale. Flogged her all the way home from Palm Springs

Quick Reply: scored a hunk 'o glass