Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best shifting setup for 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Best shifting setup for 944

One of the things I have never liked about 944's is the sloppy shifters. On Franky II, I have drilled out the front of the shift rod and inserted 924 bushings. This works fairly well but they need to be replaced every 6 months. I guess I can live with that since the cost of the repair is less than $5.

Now for the rear of the car I have gone through at least 3 short shifters in the past 5 years. Many of the ones that I have bought have been shotty from the start and I have had to reweld them. Regardless, the heim joints degrade quickly and you once again have sloppy shifting.

So, what is the best setup for a good shifting 944?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:25 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Tim,

I went through two Schnell short shifters...They are junk, cheap heim joints, etc...I got one from Mantisport last season and it is pretty nice...much bigger heims and fully adjustable to boot...Nice piece. Mantis is Ernie J, has some other 44 stuff too.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're replacing the bushings every six months, something isn't right. I'm not a fan of the Schell shifters either. D9 has a nice looking one, but I've given up trying to buy one. I've sent them multiple inquiries, but they never respond.

Here's what I did, and I used a stock shift linkage on the transmission. Works great, very little play in the shifter and I couldn't be happier with the results.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...w-shifter.html
Old 03-30-2011, 03:03 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curt P did you make that shifter yourself? Wasn't sure what you needed to do?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:52 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Curt P did you make that shifter yourself? Wasn't sure what you needed to do?
Well, first he had to re-adjust the approach from his previously planned shifter upgrade (apparently a big purple sex toy doesn't make a good shifter), then order parts from almost a dozen different suppliers, and fret over the tinyest details because he is just really that ****..

OK, maybe not a dozen suppliers, but close to that...

Having seen his shifter in person, it belongs in a glass case not a car because it really is a work of art, his camera skills suck, because it looks beter in person than in the pictures!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bgiere
Tim,

I went through two Schnell short shifters...They are junk, cheap heim joints, etc...I got one from Mantisport last season and it is pretty nice...much bigger heims and fully adjustable to boot...Nice piece. Mantis is Ernie J, has some other 44 stuff too.
I'll have a look at them.

Originally Posted by CurtP
Here's what I did, and I used a stock shift linkage on the transmission. Works great, very little play in the shifter and I couldn't be happier with the results.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...w-shifter.html
When do they go on sale?

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Well, first he had to re-adjust the approach from his previously planned shifter upgrade (apparently a big purple sex toy doesn't make a good shifter), then order parts from almost a dozen different suppliers, and fret over the tinyest details because he is just really that ****..

OK, maybe not a dozen suppliers, but close to that...

Having seen his shifter in person, it belongs in a glass case not a car because it really is a work of art, his camera skills suck, because it looks beter in person than in the pictures!
Tough crowd!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I built a short shift linkage (at tranny) using a needle bearing inside a 5/8" teflon heim. I wish I pulled that off my old 944 before I sold it. When I get a chance I'll build another.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Wasn't sure what you needed to do?
I'm don't understand what you're asking. I didn't make any of the parts myself.

Originally Posted by Lemming
When do they go on sale?
AFAIK, they're available now. The list of vendors I used (with links) is at the top of my thread.

Tough crowd!
All in good fun, brother. JoKA has this strange infatuation with large purple ******. Bedroom fun with his boyfriend, I suppose.

Originally Posted by xschop
I built a short shift linkage (at tranny) using a needle bearing inside a 5/8" teflon heim. I wish I pulled that off my old 944 before I sold it. When I get a chance I'll build another.
Did you already post pictures of it? If not, please do when you build another one!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Walkerhiboost
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drilled out my shift arm and installed some poly bushings I got at Lowe's. A two pack was only about $1. I also installed one of the adjustable aluminum shifters found on ebay that surrounds the shift rod similar to the one that above post installed except mine doesn't have threads yet.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Walkerhiboost
Advanced

I drilled out my shift arm and installed some poly bushings I got at Lowe's. A two pack was only about $1. I also installed one of the adjustable aluminum shifters found on ebay that surrounds the shift rod.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Walkerhiboost
I drilled out my shift arm and installed some poly bushings I got at Lowe's. A two pack was only about $1. I also installed one of the adjustable aluminum shifters found on ebay that surrounds the shift rod.
At half the price of others, looks pretty nice.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

At half the price of others, looks pretty nice.
Installed said shifter this weekend, it's a fairly nice piece. I did have to shorten the ball adjuster so that it would not bind during shifting, but it works well.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
robskii
AutoX

can you provide a link? Im curious too try one out
Old 04-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Excelerate
Instructor

How did you go about drilling out the shift arm? There seem to be two conflicting methods, either in the car with a hand drill or going through the trouble of removing the shift arm to drill it out on a press. I'm wanting to go the second route, but I'd have to wait a few months until I have access to a good machine shop again.

Last edited by Excelerate; 04-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

i removed the original pin from the shifter and drilled out the black shifter rod to accept a 3/8" steel rod that got welded to the shifter lever. almost no slack and its been about a year and a half

Quick Reply: Best shifting setup for 944