Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:08 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New shifter!

A few of you guys know I've been wanting a new shifter, but have been very unhappy with what is out there. So I turned to several companies who did a fantastic job of making me what I wanted. And so it isn't lost at the end after the pictures, I like to say THANK YOU to the following:

www.9products.com - what an absolute pleasure to work with these guys. I couldn't be happier. It was beyond my expectations and I will be a repeat customer.

www.redlinegoods.com - this is where I ordered my shift boot. They modified it for my application and is, by far, the best place to get this product. I cannot believe how well they're tailored. If you want one that's unique, these are the guys that can do it.

www.productinnovationsonline.com - Delrin shift ****. They have several styles available and can engrave them with just about anything you want.

Here is the shifter in development.

Here you can see the bevel that allows clearance for the shift rod.

Here is the adjustable pivot. Yes, I know the isolator is shredded. I'll replace it with another new one next time I remove the transaxle. You can see the bushings in place on the shift rod. With the bushings in place, there is absolutely zero side-to-side movement in the shifter.

Here is everything in place. The thread size I requested is M10 x 1.25, which is a pretty popular thread. There's quite a few shift **** options. Getting everything together takes some effort as it's tight! I used a little Swepco 101 moly grease on the bushings and pin.

Lower shift boot in place.

Console in position. Yes, I install the radio prior to installing the trim. It's easier to get my hands in there to manipulate the wires. I tuck everything behind the radio, including the Blitzsafe iPhone/iPod adapter. If you don't, it makes getting the cubby installed a PITA. There really isn't a ton of room back there.

It's together! I went with a black boot with linen stitching as an accent. I don't like a lot of flash, but wanted a little something.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks awesome! Where did you get that shift ****?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:27 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

That shorty is mighty sporty!

How do you like the feel of the throws? Did you do the linkage at the tranny as well?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:24 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the stitching
Old 02-19-2011, 07:11 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Looks awesome! Where did you get that shift ****?
Links at the top of the post.

Originally Posted by gregeast
How do you like the feel of the throws? Did you do the linkage at the tranny as well?
The addition of the bushings in the shift rod really tightened up the shifter and I love the feel. There is still little bit of play in the linkage on the transmission, but I haven't decided what to do back there - if anything. I don't like the Schnell type for various reasons. I do like the one from deutschnine, but they're expensive, they won't return my emails and it still doesn't address the pivot linkage.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:41 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

Originally Posted by pettybird
love the stitching
Old 02-19-2011, 11:59 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
The addition of the bushings in the shift rod really tightened up the shifter and I love the feel. There is still little bit of play in the linkage on the transmission, but I haven't decided what to do back there - if anything. I don't like the Schnell type for various reasons. I do like the one from deutschnine, but they're expensive, they won't return my emails and it still doesn't address the pivot linkage.
I replaced the linkage at the tranny after I got the car and it made a huge difference. Tight, short throws and no slop. Unfortunately that was about 3 months after I bought the car and 6+ years ago and I don't remember what brand it is...

Last edited by gregeast; 03-16-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one of the best mods that I've seen on here in a while; subtle, classy - well done!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, I had no idea there was a short shift design out there that let you keep the stock ****/boot. I have wanted something like that since I got my car... gonna add that toy to my list of ever expanding projects.

I have heard nothing but great things about that delrin **** company, they're big in the C5 scene. I keep meaning to order one for my C5 but I don't know what design or color I want, mostly because there are too many to choose from.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:28 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
That is one of the best mods that I've seen on here in a while; subtle, classy - well done!!!
+1, I really like it.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Was this setup terribly expensive? It is absolutely stunning. I love it in everyway.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:24 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

That shifter looks just like a lindsey racing unit?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Really nice looking shifter...I'm sure you've noticed how it shortened the throw on your shifts.
I did a mod on the stock shifter last summer, lowering the **** about 1-1/4" and was surprised how much it reduced the throw. The lower profile gives it a cool look too.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice! Subtle, clean, different!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Car looks beautiful. Very clean. Love that interior color
On another note...
See a PM I am sending you