Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

am i out of line here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 PM
andys-944
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 100% with you, well done for being polite about it.
I've had to tell a tire shop where to jack the guy was fine about it after all you'd think a happy customer was a good thing
As a business owner I said send a letter to the owner life is hard enough with idiots losing you good businessAs for bringing your own parts it took me a time to find a shop I could trust who were happy with it, incidently they work a lot on 'special' cars and the owner races (not porches) but they like cars and enjoy there work and want, its more than just a pay check to them andthats the key.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:25 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive since switched alignment shops after spending a few grand on alignments because i would explain to them exactly what i wanted and the owner would kinda brush me off and it would never be done correctly. I finally said screw this im going somewhere that gives a crap.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
ive since switched alignment shops after spending a few grand on alignments because i would explain to them exactly what i wanted and the owner would kinda brush me off and it would never be done correctly. I finally said screw this im going somewhere that gives a crap.
i HATE that... thats happened to me before... i feel like so far the common denominator for a good shop that listens to you are the ones that routinely deal with motorsports. doesn't even have to be german...

maybe it shows they actually like cars to begin with and aren't doing it just to run a business... i don't know...
Old 03-28-2011, 07:23 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

You're better off without that type of service... vote with your money and go elsewhere. If they don't know the mount points then they have no business working on your car.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I would have done the exact same thing in your situation. The golden rule to running a business is customer support and satisfaction, and the only real way around that is to have no competition. In this case, even though they're the only shop within an hour, they still have to compete against you doing it yourself.

I am a part-time mechanic at a BMW/European indy shop. There are 2 or 3 competitors in the area. We hate it when the customer stands over our heads and watches, but we let them, and we sure as hell do as he/she asks and hold our bitching until they leave.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I would have done the exact same thing in your situation. The golden rule to running a business is customer support and satisfaction, and the only real way around that is to have no competition. In this case, even though they're the only shop within an hour, they still have to compete against you doing it yourself.

I am a part-time mechanic at a BMW/European indy shop. There are 2 or 3 competitors in the area. We hate it when the customer stands over our heads and watches, but we let them, and we sure as hell do as he/she asks and hold our bitching until they leave.
EXACTLY! have the decency to wait until im out of earshot! not very smart on their part. i like to think that second mechanic got called out after i left. but that would give them too much credit i think.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you were absolutely 100% in the right...my car doesn't go to the shop anymore unless it's the shop of my personal friend (who is the owner) and i put it on the lift myself, and will often do the work myself unless he or one of his guys offers to help, they are just a good old inspection/mechanics shop

if you're ever in the Huntingdon Valley area near Philly and need a shop that will respect your car pm me, i'll give you the number and address.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
you were absolutely 100% in the right...my car doesn't go to the shop anymore unless it's the shop of my personal friend (who is the owner) and i put it on the lift myself, and will often do the work myself unless he or one of his guys offers to help, they are just a good old inspection/mechanics shop

if you're ever in the Huntingdon Valley area near Philly and need a shop that will respect your car pm me, i'll give you the number and address.
thanks, hopefully i won't have to take you up on that but ya never know...
Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 AM
James Chimney
Pro

when it is your car and you point out some thing they are doing wrong, you are 100% right, and if they treat their customers car's this way when they are there, imagine when you are gone?
finding a shop that you feel comfortable with is worth the $$$ you pay for peace of mind, I do.
most mechanics (or any trade's person) think they know every thing, but all great mechanic's, business people, men, (women too) know one thing, that they do not know every thing and want to learn more. And what is this "besides they all had filthy poor people hands ewwwwww" I am a chimney sweep and my hands are clean and I am not poor....lol Also maybe you should send a copy of this tread to the manager of that shop?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I had that lift point argument few times too.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

One of the front lift points on my 968 was already collapsed when I bought it, so I just went with my favorite 944 lift point which is the caster block. I do all my own work but sometimes when I pull my car into the shop, my boss "tries to help" and sets the lift pads under the frame rails, and he scoffs when I go reposition them.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

OK, since everyone is patting you on the back for being a stuck up pricky Porsche owner..

I'm now reversing my original position.

That shop knew better than you ever will how to take care of your car, and you should have sat there and let those fine folks do the job you asked them to do. You should have just shut up, sat there, and taken it, finding solace in the simple fact that your car has door handles that cost more than all of their cars put together.

GOD I hate elitists...

OH, and Chris.. you are an elitist ***** Porsche owner.. why dont you just go pick up a 911 to complete the total image!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by James Chimney
when it is your car and you point out some thing they are doing wrong, you are 100% right, and if they treat their customers car's this way when they are there, imagine when you are gone?
finding a shop that you feel comfortable with is worth the $$$ you pay for peace of mind, I do.
most mechanics (or any trade's person) think they know every thing, but all great mechanic's, business people, men, (women too) know one thing, that they do not know every thing and want to learn more. And what is this "besides they all had filthy poor people hands ewwwwww" I am a chimney sweep and my hands are clean and I am not poor....lol Also maybe you should send a copy of this tread to the manager of that shop?
umm then you don't have filthy poor people hands, do you?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
OK, since everyone is patting you on the back for being a stuck up pricky Porsche owner..

I'm now reversing my original position.

That shop knew better than you ever will how to take care of your car, and you should have sat there and let those fine folks do the job you asked them to do. You should have just shut up, sat there, and taken it, finding solace in the simple fact that your car has door handles that cost more than all of their cars put together.
GOD I hate elitists...
I know, I know. Any elitist worth his salt knows that.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
OH, and Chris.. you are an elitist ***** Porsche owner.. why dont you just go pick up a 911 to complete the total image!

becaaaaaaaause then i'd have to figure in the cost of engine relocation, etc... not worth it.

Last edited by sydneyman; 03-29-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: am i out of line here?