Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions: spare tire usability

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Opinions: spare tire usability

Looking for opinions on the actual usability of the inflatable spare in my 944. I have removed the tire from the car several times over the years and inflated it to check on it and it has always held air perfectly and the rubber on inspection looks like it could be new. The car was manufactured in 12/84 so the tire is at least that old, though.

Tire has never been mounted as it has no wear signs and still has the rubber casting mold marks (****, for lack of a better word). But in my ongoing quest to lose as much weight from the car as is practical to maintain a comfortable daily driver, the spare tire and factory tool kit seem to glare at me in defiance.

I know that tire damage and flats happen, over the years I have taken my car in at least 4 times to remove screws and even once a piece of razor knife from my tread. Tires have always been successfully repaired without issue. But should I come across an incident where a repair shop isn't nearby, should I trust that spare? Or should I wait for AAA to take me to the nearest tire shop and throw a new one on? I do have a nice lightweight tire inflator so I could *probably* reinflate the tire to at least get me somewhere.

Ditching the spare tire, jack and associated tools would net around 30 or 35 lbs. And at a time where I am considering billet spindles, aluminum rotor hats and aluminum torque tubes, an easy 30lbs would be greatly appreciated.

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:38 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I've always hated that spare tire. It's a pretty cool idea and a nice backup but it's definitely heavy. I've never blown mine up, although I probably should every now and again, but like yours, mine shows no signs of use. I know those tires were made with this situation in mind, but in the case of a flat I don't know how much I'd trust them. I'm sure it would be fine but like you, I'd be a bit wary of putting it on. Anyway, just sitting here thinking about it, I think what I'll probably do is take it out and then when I know I'm going on a longer trip, put it back in just to be on the safe side in case a Plan B is needed. My vote is to take it out or put it in as needed.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine has saved my *** twice. When I bought my car, all it had was a can of fix-a-flat. Both of my flats were blowouts where the inside bead was completely separated from the rest of the tire.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:32 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I know if I ditched mine I'd get a flat miles from help(Murphy's law) but I know quite a few people who have ditched theirs to fit a sub(non Pcars) and had no problems.

peace
Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Mine has saved my *** twice. When I bought my car, all it had was a can of fix-a-flat. Both of my flats were blowouts where the inside bead was completely separated from the rest of the tire.
Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
I know if I ditched mine I'd get a flat miles from help(Murphy's law) but I know quite a few people who have ditched theirs to fit a sub(non Pcars) and had no problems.

peace
This is my feeling as well. I would very much like to ditch it, but I know I'll have a massive blowout, that takes off the fender, the very next day.

When I switch to my 17's though, I will have no use for the spare, as it won't fit anymore....

I do carry a set of plugs and handles with me at all times. I've only had 1 flat in my life (saying that, I will have one tomorrow), and I just removed the screw with the pliers in my "disassemble the entire car if needed" tool kit, plugged the tire, and filled it up with air from the Porsche air pump. Fixed in about 5min, without jacking up the car, and without removing the wheel.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
h to my 17's though, I will have no use for the spare, as it won't fit anymore....
Even if you go to big red brakes the spare will fit on the rear and one of the rears can go on the front. Enough to get you home or to a tire shop.

I carry plugs and a pump too but having waited for a tow truck a few times I would much rather be able to put the spare on myself and be on my way. Sitting on the side of the road like a bug on its back isn't my thing. The tow guys always say 20-30 minutes but in reality they show up 'whenever.' Plus I am not a fan of how they like to strap cars down to the flatbed.

If I have a spare, 15 minutes later I am back on the road, going whever I was going and planning to get a tire sorted out at my convenience. If I am waiting for a tow, it could be an hour before they show up and then you have loading and unloading time. And where do they take you?

If you leave the car you have to hope it does not get broken into or vandalized while it sits also.

And if you work for a living, try telling your boss you are 90 minutes late because you had a flat and could not change it - because you took the spare tire out of your car some time ago.

-Joel.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used a factoy spare a couple times. Worked like charm twice on the same spare in fact.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gone back and forth on this issue myself. I love saving weight but carrying a full size spare is one area I think I will have to live with. Will be driving the car 128 miles 2-3 times per week at least.

michael
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 AM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used it once and it saved me the money for a tow truck but i still don't see much use for it. Depends in what area you live and where you drive your car ,i use mine 90% of the time in the city so there is always a shop near by or someone that can help. In fact now that i'm turning my car into a club sport i have gone crazy with weight reduction and not only i have removed the spare,jack and tools i also cut away the spare wheel well and closed it. I plan to weld a nut in the boot for the spare tire hold down and mount it rally style in the middle of the boot when i go on longer trips.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 PM
fasterfaster
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 30lbs is worth it to me, even with AAA Preferred membership (100mi towing). Too many places out here that are out of cell phone range, especially on AT&T.

If I were on a quest to save weight though, it would definitely go.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does a turbo spare weigh?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe mine weighed in around 35lbs with tire when I sold it.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 PM
kingston944
Racer

I like phone a friend . I took my spare off my envoy and at the beer store I hear that air losing noise, nail for sure get to where I'm going come out and flat as a pancake . Phone a friend lucky for me the garage was unlocked and the tire was in there. So yea I'm removing mine as soon as the car is out for summer. LOL Many new cars Mercedes Benz don't have spare tires run flat tires. Only need spare tire on long distance trips.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 PM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Cayman doesnt have a spare ex factory, I find them cumbersome anyway, just get a travel kit of tyre repair foam and compressor (as is standard in the 987), I carry that in my 993 too and left the spare.
H
Old 03-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Euronavy
Instructor

haha i just took mine out today, along with the folding back rest for that useless rear seat, also took out my ac. weighed my car and got 2742 pounds with me in it so about 2570lbs with out.

Quick Reply: Opinions: spare tire usability