Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing the right Porsche 944 for fun, daily-driving, or hard-core "restore..."

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by pettybird
He paid $1200 to get a cracked exhaust manifold replaced. $1200!!!!! I asked him if the guy was setting up his own foundry and casting one for him at that price.

I don't get involved--glad he lives in Florida.

come to Massachusetts and you'll pay like, $1,700 for that. P-cars, $125~150 an hour and time in the dealership's bay (past, 928 nightmares) always seemed to strech out.... i find backyard mechanics to do almost all my stuff as i travel. sometimes get stuff done in Mass. had a Rennlist guru do my 120 k mile service. btw, i think H20 pumps are good to go on the 968s until about every other timing belt change. my second H20 pump was installed at 114 k miles. i do my own tune-ups, fuel filters, oil changes, (did my caster blocks and sway bar bushings), brakes and clean the car myself. that's close to my limit, as far as my free time and abilities permit.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodward_Dreams
What i am referring to is the ridiculous parts prices some of you have listed. The prices seem to be 3 times that of an american car. i guess i would just have to plan on that if i decided to go this route, thats all.
Yup. You are correct here. Parts are substantially more expensive. Realize there were far fewer 944s sold than Mustangs and Wranglers, which means there are fewer parts out there, and a smaller market for parts suppliers to build new parts for. Lower volume = higher cost.

You also generally can't go over to the local NAPA and grab the part you need. You either need to find a good local foreign car parts place, or get really friendly with several of the online vendors (Pelican Parts, Lindsey Racing, Zim's, 944Online, Paragon, etc.) And even then, parts are pricey.

I've managed to save money on some parts by buying used from Rennlisters. Some people buy a 944, dump a bunch of money into new parts, get frustrated at the ever-mounting costs, give up and part the car out. All the new stuff they just put on the car right before the car broke winds up here in FS ads for a lot less cash than new. There's usually at least one "Parts FS" thread here a week, usually with good deals on good (but used) parts.

All part of the cost of owning an older Porsche. Doing the work yourself will save you 50% of the cost that somebody would pay to have it done. But you'll still spend a small fortune.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by Woodward_Dreams

What i am referring to is the ridiculous parts prices some of you have listed. The prices seem to be 3 times that of an american car. i guess i would just have to plan on that if i decided to go this route, thats all.

120 K mile service @ 114 k miles included installing the following parts:

1. H20 pump,
2. timing belt,
3. balance shaft belt,
4. rollers/tensioner pully,
5. cam chain,
6. cam chain tensioner pads,
7. hall sender,
8. cap and rotor,
9. accessory belt,
10. seals,
11. gaskets, grommets,
12. clamps,
13. spark plugs,
14. spark plug wires,
15. mobil 1 motor oil,
16. coolant,
17. air filter,
18. fuel filter,

we like to use Porsche oem parts here. go to the dealer and price this stuff for a 968. $1,000 dollars ? at my dealer, passing $1,600. installation: me doing it myself = destroyed valves, so add about 12 hours of shop time...

but, done right, what you end up with on the other side is pretty solid. just sayin.'
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first got the 87 NA I took it to a local Euro guy and had him immediately do the TB and WP and all associated pullies. He then checked the car over and told me I had a pretty solid car with some minor exceptions.

I've basically got the interior ripped out and working bit by bit. I spend hours researching and taking notes on used parts until I find the best price. I NEVER settle for the first thing I come across.

I'm not giving up on this car, no way. It needs front struts and new tires and I already have the struts, just need time to install. Nice tires once this crappy Massachusetts weather passes or stops.

You really have to love the car, which I do. And since the PO changed the color to Guards Red from Maraschino, as soon as I save the money, it goes back to the original color.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dpoul34

Nice tires once this crappy Massachusetts weather passes or stops.

mid-may. then just rain until the 4th of July.

You really have to love the car....

just wait til you're driving it. heaven, once you're running bigger tires, and tune the suspension.

I spend hours researching and taking notes on used parts until I find the best price. I NEVER settle for the first thing I come across.

i rarely get anything at the dealer. got a nice tee shirt and new "Porsche" badge, key chain.

i get my stuff from German Auto Parts, Paragon, Zims, Suncoast or Sunset Porsche.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/

http://www.paragon-products.com/default.asp

http://www.allzim.com/index.html

http://www.sunsetimports.com/parts/

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm

http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/PO.html
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

Awesome - all sites added to my Favorites. Now what can I buy next???
Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

haha...i get my stuff from summit and jegs!

Seriously though, I would love to get a late model 944 na with under 100K that's been well serviced...that could be something that i could turn the key and go in, not that there's anything wrong with my car, it's just a little scary, kind of like a hungry wolf.

944's are amazing machines when they're running right, they'll really impress you and make the cost of parts worth it...i just couldn't pass up only having to spend 80 bucks on a brand new oil pump...BRAND NEW!!!

I couldn't imagine having to pay someone else to fix one of these cars, because like everyone else has said, the factory original parts are starting to find the line. If i had 5 grand burning a hole in my pocket, i'd find myself a 924S or 944 with nice interior and body/paint, but not so hot mechanicals, and rip it all out and rebuild it fresh...but i don't, so i'm stuck picking away at parts a little at a time and trying to not do anything that requires the car being off of the road for an extended period of time.

And for all of these people arguing a v8 swap...i'll never trash mine, because it's mine, duh. But i wouldn't ever tell someone to do it if they weren't ready, and already wanted to. Just like i wouldn't tell someone to put a built supra motor in their ferrari 308, unless they already had the motor and the car and were thinking about it. It's about what YOU want from the car...that's what you will get. If you want a streetable monster...expect to be buying a turbo, or doing what i do, and expect everyone to second guess you until it's DONE. If you want a reliable daily driver, talk to any of the guys running a nicely sorted n/a, they'll tell you what they did, and how it wasn't all that bad! The only exception to my little rule above is you have to set your expectations properly...there's no way in hell i could build a 944 turbo with 500 horsepower for under 2K, and there's no way i'm going to buy a 1000 dollar 944 and it be reliable and nice. With my eyes open and my hands and wallet ready, i could do what i want cheaply, and not to difficultly, but i have to know what i'm getting into...which is why i read here and on pelican for YEARS before i actually bought a running driving car, not just another 500 dollar parts/project car.

Jumping into an 80's porsche without background research is like jumping into a shark tank not knowing what kinda sharks are swimming...you might be pleasantly surprised...but most of the time you're gonna get bit.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
haha...i get my stuff from summit and jegs!

Seriously though, I would love to get a late model 944 na with under 100K that's been well serviced...that could be something that i could turn the key and go in, not that there's anything wrong with my car, it's just a little scary, kind of like a hungry wolf.
I might know where you can pick up a medium slate gray 88 N/A with under 100K... just have to wait till it is back together...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odurandina
120 K mile service @ 114 k miles included installing the following parts:

1. H20 pump,
2. timing belt,
3. balance shaft belt,
4. rollers/tensioner pully,
5. cam chain,
6. cam chain tensioner pads,
7. hall sender,
8. cap and rotor,
9. accessory belt,
10. seals,
11. gaskets, grommets,
12. clamps,
13. spark plugs,
14. spark plug wires,
15. mobil 1 motor oil,
16. coolant,
17. air filter,
18. fuel filter,

we like to use Porsche oem parts here. go to the dealer and price this stuff for a 968. $1,000 dollars ? at my dealer, passing $1,600. installation: me doing it myself = destroyed valves, so add about 12 hours of shop time...

but, done right, what you end up with on the other side is pretty solid. just sayin.'
I bought my 1985.5 944 w/ 72k + $5k in (mostly recent) receipts 3 years ago for $4600 including a/c conversion...since then:

1. New stone guards
2. New badge
3. New radiator/fan switch
4. New timing belt/wp/rollers
5. New DME Relay
6. LED cluster lights with chrome rings
7. New clutch slave/master
8. Script handles
9. Cup 2's/spacers
10. Stereo/all new speakers
11. Clock bulb
12. Magnacor wires
13. New (4) injectors
14. New Idle Control Valve/mounts
15. New Renbay fuel lines and jumper
16. Lindsey vacuum lines
17. Lindsey silicone coolant hoses/ICV hoses
18. New idle control vale
19. New fuel regulator
20. New fuel pressure damper
21. Front wheel bearings
22. New power steering reservoir
23. Muffler tip
24. New battery
25. New hatch struts
26. Wilk racing chip
27. New head gasket
28. Oil cooler seals
29. Rear shocks
30. 951 sway bays w/ new bushings
31. New fuel filter
32. New front brakes lines/shoes
33. New distributor cap/rotor
34. Swepco trans oil
35. New headlights
36. New Viper alarm
37. New shift boot
38. New wind deflectors
39. Throttle cam
40. A/C Compressor
41. New Receiver/Drier
42. New windshield

I'm sure there's more but....

New clutch and rod bearings in spring 2011...then I should be done for about 20 years.

I wonder what it's worth now @ 87K?...probably about $4600

Last edited by BlackOp; 01-24-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BlackOp
I bought my 1985.5 944 w/ 72k + $5k in (mostly recent) receipts 3 years ago for $4600 including a/c conversion...since then:

1. New Stone guards
2. New Badge
3. New radiator/fan switch
4. New timing belt/wp/rollers
5. New DME Relay
6. LED cluster lights with chrome rings
7. New clutch slave/master
8. Script handles
9. Cup 2's/spacers
10. Stereo/all new speakers
11. Clock bulb
12. Magnacor wires
13. New (4) injectors
14. New Idle Control Valve/mounts
15. New Renbay fuel lines and jumper
16. Lindsey vacuum lines
17. Lindsey silicone coolant hoses/ICV hoses
18. New idle control vale
19. New fuel regulator
20. New fuel pressure damper
21. Front wheel bearings
22. New power steering reservoir
23. Muffler tip
24. New battery
25. New hatch struts
26. Wilk racing chip
27. New head gasket
28. Oil cooler seals
29. Rear shocks
30. 951 sway bays w/ new bushings
31. New fuel filter
32. New front brakes lines/shoes
33. New distributor cap/rotor
34. Swepco trans oil
35. New headlights
36. New Viper alarm
37. New shift boot
38. New wind deflectors
39. Throttle cam
40. A/C Compressor
41. New Receiver/Drier
42. New windshield

I'm sure there's more but....

I wonder what it's worth now @ 87K?...probably about $4600
Dude, 15K in 3 YEARS? I did 15K in the past 6 months...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Dude, 15K in 3 YEARS? I did 15K in the past 6 months...
Not on an NA you didnt.... The best part is it's done and paid for...f@ck it.

edit- I thought you meant $$$ not miles...LOL. I live in Chicago proper....trains everywhere.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Not on an NA you didnt.... The best part is it's done and paid for...f@ck it.

edit- I thought you meant $$$ not miles...LOL. I live in Chicago proper....trains everywhere.
http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21257

there ya go, 88 N/A.. 85K 5-23-2010 99,5ish K when taken down for maintenance last month...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21257

there ya go, 88 N/A.. 85K 5-23-2010 99,5ish K when taken down for maintenance last month...
You dont need to rub in the fact that I'm a financial idiot...the sick part is it has only been at a shop when I first bought it (tp/wp). A friend helps me with the more complicated "procedures".

The car essentially is internally new....original garnet red paint. I am restoring the front seats right now. I wonder what it's worth?

Last edited by BlackOp; 01-25-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

You dont need to rub in the fact that I'm a fanacial idiot...the sick part is it has only been at a mechanic when I first bought it (tp/wp).

The car essentially is internally new....original garnet red paint. I am restoring the front seats right now. I wonder what it's worth? I may just put it away and buy a different car....let the riff-raff die off.

*Damn...I thought you meant 5k invested...never-mind. Typing that list kind of threw me out-of-sorts.*
I am taking the approach of driving it and enjoying it..

Financial idiot, no way... can you say you have over 5K in parts sitting within arms reach? (I can.. and the motor isn't done yet... nor is the turbo purchased)..

Just a sample:

Oh, and I am only in the N/A (before current maintenance) for about 7K.. this round of work might just top the 10K mark... but she wont have a single fluid leak... and a ton of new parts...

Bought it 3 years ago at 55K on the clock, and have put 45K on her since then... been enjoying her all the way from Charleston SC to Detroit and back again, even drove her to the fest last year, AC blowing cold the whole time!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

I am taking the approach of driving it and enjoying it..

Financial idiot, no way... can you say you have over 5K in parts sitting within arms reach? (I can.. and the motor isn't done yet... nor is the turbo purchased)..

Just a sample:

Oh, and I am only in the N/A (before current maintenance) for about 7K.. this round of work might just top the 10K mark... but she wont have a single fluid leak... and a ton of new parts...

Bought it 3 years ago at 55K on the clock, and have put 45K on her since then... been enjoying her all the way from Charleston SC to Detroit and back again, even drove her to the fest last year, AC blowing cold the whole time!
Yeah...I wish we had better roads around here. There comes a point where you just have to say "This is MY car"...and throw all reason out of the window. I passed that threshold last year..

Quick Reply: choosing the right Porsche 944 for fun, daily-driving, or hard-core "restore..."