Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing the right Porsche 944 for fun, daily-driving, or hard-core "restore..."

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by elzergone

you are in the process of changing nearly everything about your car...

a few years ago i saw the following written about the 968.... (def #2)....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=Porsche%20968

the link was updated (def #1).... still, the original post kind of pissed me off.

however, one thing the assbag said

....What a huge waste of money for a car that doesn't even look like a Porsche....

got me inspired about doing something to the front valence to bring it closer to the 993 (new pics)...

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...-968-a-12.html
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Medski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Engine / drivetrain on mine is pretty solid, but there is a bit of electrical gremlins in it;
electric mirrors stopped working
passenger window quit
rear wiper quit
opening door dont turn on the interior light
clock doesnt work
The electric outlet doesnt output current (cant charge my phone )

And also needs some body work since some rust is starting in the fenders, and would need a full repaint.

At this point, I'm like... finish sorting it out.. or sell it and start it again, but on a 968?

I mean, my 951 is high mileage, but the drivetrain is in great shape. I like the rear of the 968 better, I like the front of both pretty equally... I don't like tuning a turbo, but I love the feel of driving one. I'd one day put 968 mirrors / door handles on the 951 anyways.

So between all that, somedays I get up wanting to sell the 951 and get a 968, and some days I get up and just wanna complete the 951. Heh.

Last edited by Medski; 07-26-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

this is a big reason why i've been telling people to exercise extreme caution when buying 944s for a couple of years.

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...-it-means.html

crunch numbers and it won't be difficult to arrive at the truth. (proper 944T's are already parted rather than sold)...... that should tell you a lot. and there will be near-zero interest in the 944s going forward; why ?

1. boys play video games until they're 40 ++ now.

2. texting/cellular phones/video/facebook, etc... (you can almost be two places at once).

3. the numbers of people born after 1980 buying used sports cars will be very few to begin with.

4. because they have no money or ambition.

5. there will be plenty just-better/modern cars, cheap Vettes, & supecars selling for piddly.

Last edited by odurandina; 09-01-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello folks.New to the forums.Have owned a 944 for 2 and a half years.It was clean and running when I bought it.BUT,too be safe my friend and I(mostly my friend) did the things to the car to make it reliable right off the get go. These were water pump,timing belt,balance shaft belts,front end seal up kit,konis,ball joints,plugs,wires,rotor,distributor,air filter,fuel filter,and new tires.It cost 2000 dollars(800 for tires).I have put 24,000km on the car since and have not had one issue.I have done 5 de weekends and over 20 autocross(de) runs with it.I put Brad Penn oil in it.I change it frequently(almost after every de weekend). I have not even had 1 issue with it.I can stay in the twisties all day long with the big boy 911s and regularly beat the majority of them at autocross(tighter courses,not big long ones).It is an 84 944 and I love it.For 10 grand you can have years of pleasure and fun.They are not super complicated to take care of.I wanted a 944 turbo and have driven 964,993, and I love the uncomplicated fun of my 944.Stay away from the turbos and just have fun!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

welcome !!

i enjoyed reading your post.

od.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
turbodave
Instructor

Originally Posted by goatfarmerdave
Hello folks.New to the forums.Have owned a 944 for 2 and a half years.It was clean and running when I bought it.BUT,too be safe my friend and I(mostly my friend) did the things to the car to make it reliable right off the get go. These were water pump,timing belt,balance shaft belts,front end seal up kit,konis,ball joints,plugs,wires,rotor,distributor,air filter,fuel filter,and new tires.It cost 2000 dollars(800 for tires).I have put 24,000km on the car since and have not had one issue.I have done 5 de weekends and over 20 autocross(de) runs with it.I put Brad Penn oil in it.I change it frequently(almost after every de weekend). I have not even had 1 issue with it.I can stay in the twisties all day long with the big boy 911s and regularly beat the majority of them at autocross(tighter courses,not big long ones).It is an 84 944 and I love it.For 10 grand you can have years of pleasure and fun.They are not super complicated to take care of.I wanted a 944 turbo and have driven 964,993, and I love the uncomplicated fun of my 944.Stay away from the turbos and just have fun!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Excellent post! Especially the last 3 sentences. I own both. A early '85 N/A and A '86 Turbo. Although only 8 mo. difference in build dates, the 2 are obviously totally different in character and ability. I think much of the negativity reflected in some of the post on this forum aimed at the 944 N/A is generated by 2 factors:

1. Maintanence, or lack there of. Taking short cuts and expecting factory results. Pride in workmanship and ownership goes along way in determining how good or bad your 944 experience will be.

2. Mission profile. Expecting the car to be something it was never intended to be. Most upgrades that involve increases in H.P. to any of the 944 types are not required to get the max. fun factor from the car. They all come factory equipped with enough H.P. to land you in jail for excessive speed! Or worse. Upgrading driver performance by way of sanctioned events (DE, AX) is cheaper than buying H.P. and the results are much more satisfiying than bragging rights.

Like the man said "just have fun!!"
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

For $5,999, Porsche Nine Sixty What?

http://jalopnik.com/5826321/for-5999...ine-sixty-what

Following the effeminate 924 and the etherial 944, the epoch-ending 968 seems to have become the forgotten Porsche. Today's Nice Price or Crack Pipe Cabriolet might just jog some memories, but will its price make you say fuggedaboutit?

Rumor has it that when questioned as to the absence of a true entry-level Porsche, a company executive made the claim that such a car did exist, it was called a used Porsche. Despite that seeming asshattery response, the Stuttgart car maker has for years offered a lower-priced, and equitably lower-performance model, some of which have carved out their own place in the pantheon of preferred Porsches.

Today's car perhaps has not.

The 968 was introduced in 1992, and even though it represented a departure stylistically from is predecessor, the 944S, there was no hiding the fact that the basic 968 body was little more than an evolution of the original 924, a car that debuted all the way back in 1975. Sure, the earlier cars' pop-up lights were replaced with 928-aping frog-pods, but that styling meme dated back to the seventies as well. The 968 also subdued the 944s aggressive fender flares for a smoother, more organic look, which, while offering a fresher appearance, served to make the car less iconic and even more so, less memorable. And, as it was followed by the rabidly welcomed Boxster, this end-of-the-road for Porsche's dalliance with a front-engine, rear-drive entry-level cars was for the time, over.

But for four years in the early nineties the 968 ruled the other side of the tracks at Porsche dealerships. It was made available as a coupe, a bodystyle that dated back to the original 924, as well as a somewhat awkwardly realized soft-top. That convertible version, which debuted late in the 944's life, added a different dimension to the car, that of wind in your hair and potentially bird crap on your center console. This '93 968 Cabriolet provides both those opportunities, although you'd likely want to protect it from the latter as its black and tan interior currently looks to be in pretty good shape.

One of the changes that took place in the metamorphosis from 944 to 968 was under the hood, where the later cars' gained Porsche's VarioCam variable valve timing, and a sizable bump in displacement. The four pots powering this car in total displace 2,990-ccs, and individually maintain a bore that is greater than 4-inches across. That's a hole you could deliver a baby through. In fact, the 968 engine was one of the biggest 4-bangers this side of a pickup truck that modern money could have bought.

That 3-litre four was good for 236-bhp at the time, and put the power to the pavement through either a newly-designed 6-speed gearbox, or Porsche's Tiptronic automatic. Luckily, this black beauty has three pedals and the stick. It also has the Brembo brakes and aluminum suspension pieces that made the 968 stop and corner with authority. Of course this particular car has 164K on its clock so it may not be quite as authoritative as when it left the factory. That's a whole lot of miles on what is essentially a fairly complex automobile, something that should check the option box for potential future investment for any buyer. Other issues on this car are a top that is so rumpled it looks like an uncircumcised Shar Pei, and a basic lack of information provided in the dealer ad. That means you can't tell if it possesses any major negatives like burning more oil than an Iraqi retreater, reeking of cat pee, or suffering from an evil gypsy curse. The 90 days same as cash offer does mitigate that mystery somewhat, however.

Whether 90-days or today, the dealer's price for the car is an advertised $5,999, which is so far enough below KBB to make it pique anyone's curiosity. What do you think, is that a price that piques any part of you? Or, does that do nothing to overcome the fact that you would address it as Porsche who?

You decide!

i'm sooooo glad i bought mine....
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
For $5,999, Porsche Nine Sixty What?

[i'm sooooo glad i bought mine....

Sometimes anyway.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM
BobSantos
Instructor

I didn't choose mine for anything but enjoyment. I've been in one of those tortured car romances where she takes and takes and leaves you a shattered mess when it's time to split up. I wanted something clean, well maintained and that I could keep up in near-factory condition. It's a turbo, so I don't know if I made the right decision, especially after reading the post above from Goatfarmerdave (incidentally, sheep farming would be a favorite alternate profession, if and when the time comes, so I'm feelin' ya).

However, keeping it stock will help avoid the pitfalls and tuning problems that are inherent in mods. Crossing fingers for long fruitful relationship.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:44 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Bump
Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Went for a 20 km ride today finally!!!!Car running awesome!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I just don't understand why everyone is so down on the turbo cars. They are every Bit as robust and sturdy as the na, although with some added complexity if cared for.
People that have trouble with any 944 series car have.
1. Bought a beat or neglected car.
2. Beat on or neglected their car.

These cars will go a long time with little issues if properly cared for and this goes for all of them. The turbos tended to have a rougher life than most na simply due to the increase in performance.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

So hard to find a turbo that hasn't been frankensteined by a bunch of PO.The 968 is a thing of beauty.Graceful power,good looks,very comfortable to drive,and I believe a resale that is the best of the bunch.944na still beautiful and short track,autocross beast!

Our only next choice is the boxster.Up here in Canada it's hard to find a 2002 boxster S for under 18.Most are still 20 to 22grand.Add our 13% sales tax and your over 20 just to start.Then add the higher consumables for tires,etc.The biggest thing that scares me(not even mentioning ims,rms)is the many electronic and mechanical doodads that can go wrong. Regulator this and that at 800 to 1600 bucks per piece and there is nothing you can do about it.Don't forget about that top that's gonna wear out soon.If you looove convertibles that's cool but I think most of us here like track,autocross,etc. so we are the few people that grin when we here sunroof delete.If I could work on a boxster like I could a 944 then my opinion may change a little. How many boxsters do you see in a day?How many front engine Porsches you see in a month? I love the look of our cars driving down the road,rare and beautiful.So ya,we replace stuff on our cars quite often but the stuff is cheap, and fun half the time to tinker with. How much for a tranny,engine,suspension,etc on a boxster? Keep those 944/turbo/968 alive boys and have fun doing it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 PM
BikePilot
Racer

Curiously I could have bought a boxster S for either less money or same money and less miles than I paid for my 968. For whatever reason, the boxster just hasn't held it's value at all while the 968 seems to be hanging in there pretty well. As it happens, I didn't want a boxster and wanted a 968 so that's what I bought. I didn't want a convertible right now and I've long admired the 944/951/968. The only other porsches that caught my eye this go around were the 928 and the cayman.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

endless possibilities with all the 944s and 968s.

the Boxsters and Caymans will really be fixed with the next generation of boxer powerplants.

Last edited by odurandina; 03-11-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Quick Reply: choosing the right Porsche 944 for fun, daily-driving, or hard-core "restore..."