Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad does this look

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad does this look

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1142

This is the PO of my cab selling this car. Don't know a whole lot about conversions other than what I read here. Looks a whole lot different with a carb in place of FI.

Winter project?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:28 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

I see quite a few things that have changed (for example the motor mount style) with the newer LS swaps, but otherwise looks like it could be kinda fun--and it's a lot for the money.

I would imagine it still has the n/a transaxle in it, which would break pretty easily behind the v8. It wouldn't be hard to put fuel injection back on it either.

It could be fun.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

It looks like an LT engine. If the engine turns it's a reasonable price and lots of fun and most of the work has been done.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That's a whole lot of time and $$ spent not to finish it up. Either something is lurking under there or he's hit a wall with the funds. Regardless it could be a lot of fun to break.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iJeremy
That's a whole lot of time and $$ spent not to finish it up. Either something is lurking under there or he's hit a wall with the funds. Regardless it could be a lot of fun to break.
Guy could have lost his job.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"THIS IS A NINTEEN 8SIX 944."

Classic.....
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i this car isn't bad at all. fun muscle car.

i doubt there are too many issues other than that he ran out of money trying to do too much at the same time, instead of simply swapping the motor.

maybe Ethan could lend an opinion, (see his avatar on my friends list) since he's running the same setup.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:51 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weird you would say that od...i must have heard my name called in the ether of the internet

i just cringed a little bit....money spent in all the wrong places

i could save it pretty damn quick and easy, but geez, there's something scary goin on there...

lemme think
-he put a carb on an LT1, which i guess could have been to delete the optispark (something i understand the yearning to do). but that's a bit excessive...this probably also means that the harness is absolutely butchered, although honestly with the carb setup i don't think you really need a harness anymore, so that point may be moot.
-looks like patriot tight tuck headers, which are a good choice, but they're a bit hard to build to/from (ask me how i know)
-the rest of the exhaust looks half assed, and if he's doing this himself lemme tell you, exhaust is not expensive or hard to do, it's just time consuming (at least that's my personal experiece)
-there's some sort of hackjob, weird *** looking evap. setup going on, can't quite figure out what's happening there
-looks like some sort of underdrive crank pulley? whatever it is, it doesn't look like it lines up with the stock f-body accessory brackets (fun time figuring that out)
-gotta give him props for trying to retain power steering, can't tell how well he's hooked that up, if at all.
-he says there's a new brake system, but i don't see any of the money he put into brakes going into a power brake setup, so it's probably just a refurbished n/a manual braking setup...usable, but why spend the money on all of that instead of putting a hydroboost or other power brake setup in?
-he did at least buy all new plastic for the engine bay, which i give him kudos for, but once again, i would've spent that money on the engine and getting the sucker running.

all in all, it wouldn't take much work to fix it up and get it on the road if you know what you're doing...it would probably take me a week if i had a little money.

first thing I'd do is pull that fricking carb, msd distributor, block off plate, and carbed intake manifold off, as well as the chrome valve covers and sell that crap. take that money and buy stock lt1 fuel injection parts, a harness and computer and a used gm opti, and toss it together and fire it up. if i wanted a HUGE *** hood scoop for the carb, i could keep all of that stuff on there...but there's a lot of little stuff left to do, like build the exhaust from the headers to the muffler (not so little actually), get an air cleaner, buy an alternator and run a wire to the porsche alt. connector, figure out what the hell to do with that underdrive pulley, run the coolant hoses, figure out the whole power steering mess, build a hood (or just cut a BIG hole), buy an air cleaner etc etc...

i could see it being one hell of a car with a few grand more in parts...but i don't know how the hell he got to 12k in it already!?!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Porsche16V944
Racer

80% of custom car builds arent completed until the third owner.

I say he just ran out of money
Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha, yeah that number sounds about right...the way the car looks, he probably did just run out of money (or patience lol) with this project. It has the potential to be an awesome car, but it looks like it really needs some help right now...

Quick Reply: How bad does this look