Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first places to start weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:44 AM
till_that_day
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first places to start weight reduction

Any of you that have seen my threads know that my car is currently down. Over the next few weekends I'll be doing plenty of work so I was figuring while I'm in there I'll remove some stuff.

Going to start with
-cruise control stuff
-alarm stuff

If anybody has an AC delete bracket/pulley id be intrested

any other ideas?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Are you talking under hood only? Or is the interior on the table?

Taylor
Old 08-29-2010, 01:23 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

i'm also interested in removing alarm stuff. how much would this reduce weight? i hesitate to do it b/c it might only be a few lbs.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

remove the rear wiper (if you have one),
cruise delete
rear seat delete (the top half is the majority),
remove the spare tire/pump.
switch to a manual sunroof,
manual seats,

Well thats what I have done, in order of cost.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 AM
aljolyn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dougs951
remove the rear wiper (if you have one),
cruise delete
rear seat delete (the top half is the majority),
remove the spare tire/pump.
switch to a manual sunroof,
manual seats,

Well thats what I have done, in order of cost.
How much has this reduced? Have you noticed a difference?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:25 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by aljolyn
How much has this reduced? Have you noticed a difference?
the easiest things to do would be to remove back seat, rear panels, whatever (EVERYTHING) you have in the trunk, and get a A/C Delete kit (or make one per 944 Cup instructions)

that's what I did in my car, all rear panels, seat belts, A/C delete under hood and behind dash with condenser etc, the tar/glue/fabric stuff under the carpet and panels weighs a pretty good amount as well

if you start removing interior, its not exactly easy, most of it is scrubbing and that can get tideous

but its worth it in the end ...
Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
i'm also interested in removing alarm stuff. how much would this reduce weight? i hesitate to do it b/c it might only be a few lbs.
It's the control box, horn and key lock. I'd be surprised it was more than 1.5#.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Driver.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:33 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on what your goal is. if it's a pure track car...complete gut interior. leave nothing but the dash and bare metal/glass. or...lose the dash too and make a race dash. drop AC compressor, condensor, lines, evaporator.

if yer just shedding weight on a street car, then just lose everything rear of the door. rear seats, trunk matting, rear hatch opener if u have one, rear wiper.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Driver.
hahah this would be the next thing to do for me
Old 08-29-2010, 12:29 PM
misnblu
Rennlist Member

Take a good dump, you might lose a couple of pounds by doing so. lol

I've thought about losing some weight too but because it's a Porsche have hesitated with doing so.
I actually like the interior although I did remove the rear wiper and rear seat belts from the seats in some effort to reduce weight.
I just can't find myself ruining the lovely looks of the car to reduce weight.
I did lose 30 pounds of this driver though since December so that to me is some weight reduction and everything helps.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

there was a very stout P-car owner i know waxing on about the weight reductions he did for his 993....

we were all chucking, when someone finally mentioned, "Mike, what happened to the diet you were talking about last year..."

Mike had gained about 20 more pounds recently.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:21 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

A few weight saving ideas - note some of these may make the car unpleasant for street driving:

get euro bumpers or other fiberglass bumpers that mount with brackets rather than shocks. You'll save a ton of weight (40+ lbs total I believe) and you'll move more of the car's weight between the axles.

Lightening rotating parts in the engine and unsprung parts in the drivetrain will also remove weight, and do so in the most noticeable manner as those will have the most direct impact on driving dynamics.

You can also get fiberglass fenders and a lexan hatch to shave some weight, and also removing the factory seats and putting in some aftermarket fixed back or recliner seats will save weight too.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

the best thing to start with is buying an early car. and then clean it inside and out and under the engine bay. dirt and leaves and birds and stuff add up.

i have removed power steering, removed the back seat, gone to manual sunroof, removed the windshield washer system, removed cruise control..replaced carpet with a lighter weight version for the whole car, and replaced the floor sound deadening with lighter version (1/4 the weight).

i have a full interior in my car and AC installed and am lighter than some guys late cars that are stripped bare.

if you remove the tools and tire from the back its about 30 lbs, the back window is about 50lbs (lexan version is less than half that), the trunk carpet and insulation is like 20lbs (my replacement will be maybe 5 total). the sunroof panel itself is like 20lbs, a fg replacement (bare bones, basically just the outer skin) is like 2. hood is about 40, fg is usually around 20. i havent done any of these yet but plan to down the line to get my car below 2600lbs, currently at 2730 with a half-tank
Old 08-29-2010, 03:34 PM
misnblu
Rennlist Member

When you removed the power steering on your car did you install a non power steering rack or just loop the hoses for the same effect? I've done this with two of my cars and has worked nicely with the feel of the car but for my Porsche it would be nice to help eliminate the constant power steering leak that is associated with these cars.
So how's the steering feel on the car? Heavy?

And like you, I've done this for my Z24 bringing the weight down from 2800 pounds to a svelte 2600 pound with rear seat delete (and a whole slew of other weight savings not seen) but everything else still on the car. It's amazing how much better the car pulls with no other modifications done to the car and this is what's needed for my Porsche as it's power is something that needs to be remedied.
Weight reduction is our best bet for power to weight ratios to improve.

Quick Reply: first places to start weight reduction