Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first places to start weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 03:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

in regards to feel, i dont think i ever drove my car with ps, tried resealing the ps rack but it still leaked so i just said F it. didnt loop anything, just removed the whole system minus the steering rack. did that in 2006 and no problems since

having driven other 944s that do have PS though, i really didnt feel a difference. never took them on twisties though.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This might be pointless but, if your thinking about autocrossing or tracking the car you should check the rules of the class you want to run for what you can and cannot do.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 PM
misnblu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info and something to consider if I ever go that route.
And Arominus, I've read the solo rules, and realize what will be needed to pick out the class for autocrossing.
This is something that I plan on doing next year as this year I'm trying to get all the bugs out and do some work on the car for reliability etc.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 AM
RedDragon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys have all missed a big easy weight.. THE BATTERY! get a nice small one and shave off the pounds. The stock 944 battery is HUGE. Even better if you relocate it under the passenger seat to get the weight lower.

Rennline kit
Old 08-30-2010, 11:33 PM
till_that_day
Instructor

Late response...but better than never.

thanks for all the tips

The car for the time being is going to be streeted, would love to 944spec it but even though its "working mans racing" cant afford it at this point and not get blown away.

I have already removed everything from the trunk except the jack, I will not let my car sit flat on my fuchs on the side of the road. I have stripped all of the backing off of the trunk carpet, it seems there was a good 5-7lbs right there. The cat and stock muffler have been replaced by resonator and flowmaster, dont know if there's any savings there. The rear seat will be coming out with this next round of work, (but what to do with that ugly opening??). Like I said, cruise and alarm stuff will be coming out. Hopefully I can find an affordable AC delete kit. Body work is also starting now so I will be losing the bumper pads, mabye aftermarket bumpers and mounts. And I would love to go to manual steering, but I essentially got raped on my steering rack by the local euro import parts store (it was the first thing I bought for the car, before I knew about rennlist) so I'd hate to just shelf it. Heater stuff will have to stay for now, I drive the car up till it snows.

I will have both fenders off, I read somewhere that there is sound deadening that you can remove. Is there anywhere else that there is damping material? Under carpet?

and if anybody knows where to get a decent (cheap) ac delete and manual sunroof latches it would be much appreciated.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:00 AM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by till_that_day
Late response...but better than never.

thanks for all the tips

The car for the time being is going to be streeted, would love to 944spec it but even though its "working mans racing" cant afford it at this point and not get blown away.

I have already removed everything from the trunk except the jack, I will not let my car sit flat on my fuchs on the side of the road. I have stripped all of the backing off of the trunk carpet, it seems there was a good 5-7lbs right there. The cat and stock muffler have been replaced by resonator and flowmaster, dont know if there's any savings there. The rear seat will be coming out with this next round of work, (but what to do with that ugly opening??). Like I said, cruise and alarm stuff will be coming out. Hopefully I can find an affordable AC delete kit. Body work is also starting now so I will be losing the bumper pads, mabye aftermarket bumpers and mounts. And I would love to go to manual steering, but I essentially got raped on my steering rack by the local euro import parts store (it was the first thing I bought for the car, before I knew about rennlist) so I'd hate to just shelf it. Heater stuff will have to stay for now, I drive the car up till it snows.

I will have both fenders off, I read somewhere that there is sound deadening that you can remove. Is there anywhere else that there is damping material? Under carpet?

and if anybody knows where to get a decent (cheap) ac delete and manual sunroof latches it would be much appreciated.
Here is my *test fit* delete. This version is 1/2" MDF with Walmart carpet, it probably weighs more than a normal seat. The one I have now is the same design but with some thinner board. (I cant think of the size off hand)

Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

if you are really crazy and care about classes, then consider if you want to do this or not

I don't really care where I end up, I didn't do this to win any trophies or anything, all in fun ... everyone needs a hobby!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:37 AM
till_that_day
Instructor

Originally Posted by roman944
if you are really crazy and care about classes, then consider if you want to do this or not

I don't really care where I end up, I didn't do this to win any trophies or anything, all in fun ... everyone needs a hobby!
I assume you are speaking of 944 spec racing?

Yeah It would be a blast regardless, but I would at least like to have a fighting chance (when that time comes) so at least I could blame a low rank on my driving and not the car.

But you are correct, I should research the rulebook to find out what I can or can't do.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 AM
RedDragon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a smaller battery. Easy weight loss. You can also relocate it under the passenger seat to get the weight lower.

Last edited by RedDragon; 08-31-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: More to add
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM
misnblu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon
Get a smaller battery. Easy weight loss. You can also relocate it under the passenger seat to get the weight lower.
Perfect suggestion.
This is what I did when I relocated my battery to the back on my Chevy and used the Braille battery which weighs only 15 pounds.
Considering that the stock battery weighs 40 pounds that saved me another 35 pounds. Even with the aluminum battery box and all the 2z0 cable, I'm sure the weight savings were offset but at least not located in front of the wheels and evenly distributed along a lower path for better center of gravity.

Great suggestion and one that I'm going to be doing to the 944 very soon.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Diet?

I know my car could easily lose 50lbs if I'd just get off my duff and start running again.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:48 AM
till_that_day
Instructor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Diet?

I know my car could easily lose 50lbs if I'd just get off my duff and start running again.

cant do that... if i lost any more weight, I'd blow away....OH SNAP, I got the AIDS again

(sorry, inside joke)
Old 09-01-2010, 12:51 AM
till_that_day
Instructor

Originally Posted by misnblu
Perfect suggestion.
This is what I did when I relocated my battery to the back on my Chevy and used the Braille battery which weighs only 15 pounds.
Considering that the stock battery weighs 40 pounds that saved me another 35 pounds. Even with the aluminum battery box and all the 2z0 cable, I'm sure the weight savings were offset but at least not located in front of the wheels and evenly distributed along a lower path for better center of gravity.

Great suggestion and one that I'm going to be doing to the 944 very soon.
...But seriously, I'm going to look into this Braille battery. I'm thinking of making a cover over the rear seat delete hole out of fiberglass, possibly with a battery cubby.

Thanks. Great tip!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 AM
944meister
Pro

...But seriously, I'm going to look into this Braille battery. I'm thinking of making a cover over the rear seat delete hole out of fiberglass, possibly with a battery cubby.

Thanks. Great tip!
before you do that check out this thread, scroll down to post #5. alot better place for the battery imo. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...cs-please.html
Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume you are speaking of 944 spec racing?

Yeah It would be a blast regardless, but I would at least like to have a fighting chance (when that time comes) so at least I could blame a low rank on my driving and not the car.

But you are correct, I should research the rulebook to find out what I can or can't do.
I was speaking more in general, anywhere you go, some rules are going to be the same, while others won't be quiet t he same

I was just saying that, for the most part, people that go out to auto-crosses etc - go out to have some fun with their cars, not everyone is out there "to win" ... at the end of the day, I would much rather look at the times of cars with full interior/stock form and compare them to mine, or other car's times similar to mine, and my time at the beginning and at the end of the day

but if you are really looking into NASA/944 Spec, then you should really consider what you are doing before-hand

though, nothing will really stop you from simply doing a few DE events in your stripped out car either, and that can be just as much fun

Quick Reply: first places to start weight reduction