Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resurrecting Frankencar

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks good. It is probably much quieter! I picked up a heat shield for the torque tube yesterday.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cruise98
Looks good. It is probably much quieter! I picked up a heat shield for the torque tube yesterday.
Call me, I am heading over to Joe's to deliver the 3.0L engine later this morning and he has a heat shield for me as well.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:57 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Went to Barber last week for a test and tune. Had issues with overheating, water temp was hitting 240 and climbing after 4 laps. Of course, it was 103o that day the track temp was near 150oF. Before it overheat, it pulled like a freight train :big bye:

Here's the solution for the overheating problem, a Griffin two-row radiator. Still have work to do on the ducting.
Attached Images      
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

The new radiator did the trick and the water temp did not exceed 210 at the 2nd test and tune. Still have work to do on the brakes, mostly just getting used to the manual non-boosted system. I was able to compare data from this test and tune and the last time I was there with the supercharged 968 engine in the car. Braking was way off on the new car but that will come. Acceleration was much greater and top speed at the end of the very shorts straights was 5-7 mph higher with the LS1.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Dawgz83948
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The manual brake setup was not to my liking so I installed the BMW Hydroboost setup on mine. Of course I didn't do the wilwood masters, just had converted the stock master to manual. The pucker factor was high to say the least.....

Nice vid, it does look as though the V8 destroyed your handling. LOL!!!! Just kidding of course.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:45 PM
968ls1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,
Great video the car looks to be working well and my old 4"exhaust sounds great! I know you can't wait to race it and see how it works against some competition, how did your lap times compare to the SC 968 motor?
Tom
Old 09-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

In my last 968SC day there I was able to do a 1.04 with new A6's, typically 1.6 with Nittos. With the new LS and nittos, I was able to get down to 1.05 by the afternoon. I was certainly gaining on the straights but the braking was killing me. I was also slower at track out without a change in my minimum speed in the turn. I attribute this to the fact that I am having to learn to feather the gas. In the past, even with the SC, I could initiate the turn, and then put my foot to the floor for the most part. I can't do that anymore, especially on a tight track like Tigpri. It will come, I just need more practice. I really think this car will do a 1.02 or better at tigpri once I learn the brakes and throttle better.

I'm off to Nashville Superspeedway this weekend with NASA-MS, where I'll see how the car does against the vettes in SP2.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Dawgz83948
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm 2 Tim's with V8's.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM
968ls1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim have you weighed the car and compared the front to rear and total vs with the SC 3.0? Flash over on 968 forums is certain that there is a 120lb weigh gain with the LS and I am sure there isn't wanted to see what you came up with. Mainly cause it sure looks like you handling has all gone away! LOL
Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 968ls1
Tim have you weighed the car and compared the front to rear and total vs with the SC 3.0? Flash over on 968 forums is certain that there is a 120lb weigh gain with the LS and I am sure there isn't wanted to see what you came up with. Mainly cause it sure looks like you handling has all gone away! LOL
Engine with some parts on it (headers, pp, clutch, etc) was right at 437 lbs. I asked Casey to weigh my old 968 setup at his shop but have not heard back. Will have to check my notebook and see if I have a weight from the last iteration of the car. At one point the car with me weighed 2553 but I added some weight to make GTS4. More weight was added with the addition of the accusump. The car now is around 2630 lbs.

My front to rear weight ratio is better than with the SC because the whole weight of the SC and intercooler hung off the very front of the car.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:17 AM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I attribute this to the fact that I am having to learn to feather the gas. In the past, even with the SC, I could initiate the turn, and then put my foot to the floor for the most part. I can't do that anymore, especially on a tight track like Tigpri. It will come, I just need more practice. I really think this car will do a 1.02 or better at tigpri once I learn the brakes and throttle better.
Yep, when people ask me what the difference in driving is between a V8 conversion 944 and and an OEM 944, that's what I explain. The V8 conversion is more serious. With OEM, like most other cars, essentially, you just mash the gas whenever you want to go fast. w/ the V8 conversion, you have to be really precise and know beforehand exactly where you're going to put your right foot. It takes some practice, and is a total blast when you learn to get it right.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Spent last weekend with NASA-MS at Nashville Super Speedway. Car ran great on Saturday with no issues. Sunday morning I realized that the clutch master cylinder was leaking from the rear main seal. I tried to run but hydraulic fluid kept getting on my shoes and I was worried that my foot would slip off the brake going into T1, which would not be good. So my day ended early.

All in all a really good day on Saturday. Starting to get the hang of the non-boosted brakes. I'll have 5 good days at Barber next week to get this think dialed in.

Short race video at
Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Spent 5 days at O'fest at Barber last week flogging the car. Finally got the brakes dialed in and am starting to learn how to lean on them. Will have to make a heat shield for the brake master cylinders and an o-ring went out and I think it was from the heat off the header. I also need to get my two oil catch cans set up asap as I was burning oil. My 23 year old, never rebuilt, S2 transmission gave up on the 5th day at the track. Drained the oil and there are shavings but no big chunks, will pull it apart this weekend to determine what happened. I think the shift forks are either completely shot or where somehow damaged. I can get the car 2, 3, 4, and 5th, but not easily. I can put the car into reverse, but it drags heavily when I release the clutch. Luckily I have a spare S2 box and will move my LSD over asap. Here's a few laps around Barber.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Another great weekend at Barber.

For this event I ended up buying a TurboS trans from Josh instead of rebuilding the S2 (not enough time). My "seat of the pants" thought was that the longer AOR trans was not well suited for a such a short track as Barber. However, when I went over my data last night, it turns out that AOR was better for my lap times. Acceleration out of slow corners (like the hairpin, T5) was identical between the transmissions. This surprised me in that I would expect the lower gearing of the S2 to be faster. I believe that the slightly higher gearing of the AOR allowed me to get the power to the ground more easily, with the S2 I was spinning both rear tires and sliding if I was not careful. The decreased lap times with the AOR came from the advantage of being able to stay in 3rd much longer before the shift to 4th. This resulted in being 2-3 mph faster at the end of most straights.

Next event is the PBOC races at Barber in two weeks

Quick Reply: Resurrecting Frankencar