Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DMV overheated my engine!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 AM
mein_tag
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMV overheated my engine!

I took my 85/1 N/A through emissions, and the tech forgot to put the fan on the car. I noticed halfway throught the first run, and wanted to shut the car down, but the tech decided to run the rest of the dyno. By then the cars temp is pegged. They wanted to redo the test, and with some stalling I said ok. They run another two dyno's with the temp gauge pegged, and after the 3rd dyno the car started to spew coolant everywhere. The arseholes made me and my mum push the car off of the dyno, and we left it in the parking lot to cool down.
I filed a complaint, and they said they would resolve the issue in 72 hrs. After they admitted fault. It's been about two/three weeks now, and I've called them, and even went down there, and they're stalling saying that they can run these cars on the dyno's with no fans running and they won't overheat. "I hung up on that guy." Anyways I talked with the Becks Indepent Porsche over by my place and they said it most likely is a headgasket issue. I have about $3k worth of reciets for my N/A which include a new rad, water pump, belts, hoses, headgasket, clutch and just about everything except rod bearings. The car is acting really funny since then. It's running alot hotter then it used to. "like flirting with the red area" the engine has a different pitch to it, and I lost 10+ psi compression in clys 1-3. Plus it has been leaking oil mix with green coolant. I have to say it's in a non drivable state. I plan on filing a small claims but, Becks recommened I get some facts on what overheating can do, and how much it would cost to fix it for my claim.

Levi
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

im glad we dont have emissions testing here anymore.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow, sounds like a head gasket.

I would think they're liable. Know any lawyers at any of your local car clubs? Outline the story to him and get his take...
Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost90
im glad we dont have emissions testing here anymore.
X2 but thank god for "Collector" plates
Old 05-17-2010, 10:38 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mein_tag
I took my 85/1 N/A through emissions, and the tech forgot to put the fan on the car. I noticed halfway throught the first run, and wanted to shut the car down, but the tech decided to run the rest of the dyno. By then the cars temp is pegged. They wanted to redo the test, and with some stalling I said ok. They run another two dyno's with the temp gauge pegged, and after the 3rd dyno the car started to spew coolant everywhere. The arseholes made me and my mum push the car off of the dyno, and we left it in the parking lot to cool down.
I filed a complaint, and they said they would resolve the issue in 72 hrs. After they admitted fault. It's been about two/three weeks now, and I've called them, and even went down there, and they're stalling saying that they can run these cars on the dyno's with no fans running and they won't overheat. "I hung up on that guy." Anyways I talked with the Becks Indepent Porsche over by my place and they said it most likely is a headgasket issue. I have about $3k worth of reciets for my N/A which include a new rad, water pump, belts, hoses, headgasket, clutch and just about everything except rod bearings. The car is acting really funny since then. It's running alot hotter then it used to. "like flirting with the red area" the engine has a different pitch to it, and I lost 10+ psi compression in clys 1-3. Plus it has been leaking oil mix with green coolant. I have to say it's in a non drivable state. I plan on filing a small claims but, Becks recommened I get some facts on what overheating can do, and how much it would cost to fix it for my claim.

Levi
Levi,
The car should not overheat on the dyno during emissions testing. Even so if the car gets into the overheating zone they should stop the testing.

As for the car.. Even overheating the motor about they only damage that should be done it a warped head. That can be repaired easily.

The one problem is I think you had problems before you brought the car in and the dyno exposed them.

Frank Beck should be able to handle these cars. The oil mixing is probaby the cooler seals.. BTW.. why where the rod bearings done in the first place?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dyno pulls for a DMV inspection? That's crazy. How much $ do they charge for an inspection and how often???
Old 05-17-2010, 11:27 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah they should have stopped as soon as they saw that the car was overheating

try to talk to a lawyer
Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 PM
mein_tag
Intermediate

They charge $27.5, and they are required every year. each run is about 4 mins and They take the car from idle to 4k and around there and then down. they said something like 60 mph. I was kinda pissed because the person i got couldn't shift for ****, and him burning up my new clutch really started to aggravate me. The car ran really nice before hand, the temp gauge would never pass the 1/2 mark. I thought it was running quite nice.

Should've is soo promising. They should've stopped the test when i told him that he forgot the fan. "I even suggested to stop" And i should've never let them run the other two runs. They already admitted fault when I left the place. I sent them a bill for $500 including a new headgasket, and a valve job. They told me to pound sand.

Joe, what kind of problems do you think it might've had? And the rod bearings is just about the only thing i haven't replaced on my N/A.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
roman944
Drifting

next time try to find a friend, from a local car club or something, that can do inspection for you

shops around here are sponsors of local car clubs, and they have their own dyno's and everything, a few guys that work at dealerships can do inspections etc

you are in a big area, so you should have plenty of local "euro" people around
Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't know about him, but for me you have to go to an official VEIP station (there are two in my county) to have your emissions test performed, they don't allow private stations to do the testing (or at least don't advertise them being able to perform testing). If this situation is similar to the OP's, then he may have had no choice but to deal with the fools at this particular VEIP station.

Hope you can draw water from a rock on this one, i really do...whatever you do, don't just forget about it and do the work yourself, take them for everything they're worth!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
roman944
Drifting

we don't do this type of stuff up here, so I was just saying like that might be an option

because I always use friends to do inspection/tire install stuff
Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 517 Posts

a dyno room in phoenix in may....gotta be hot in there. engine under dyno load...heat...
Old 05-17-2010, 04:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In Phoenix (Maricopa county) you are required to take the car to emissions testing every other year. These are DMV emssions testing stations dedicated to testing. For cars older then OBD1 they require the station operator to put the car on dyno and drive a predetermined speed and gearing profile. They actual watch a computer screen to match their actual speed vs the profile.

You are allowed to sit in the passenger's seat during the test. They should be using a fan as the car is stationary. The stations are pull through so it is not completely dead air. Even so the do need fan.

Anyway I have never seen them run 4000 rpm ever and never overheated my 951 or 944 NA cars either. They did always have a fan running. Your mistake was to even let them try it again once it got hot. I am not sure why it got hot in first place unless you had an issue.

Ok the one thing I am confused about. Did you do the 3k worth of work before or after the overheating?

If you have not touched it since it over heated then you blew the headgaskset and may warped the head. Other than that nothing. If you had all these fresh parts going in fine, but it still could have warped the head causing the head gasket problems.

If the car was repaired to to $3000 post overheating and still does not work the who ever did the repair did not do it right.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 PM
mein_tag
Intermediate

I put all of these parts in before i took it through emissions, and they have maybe acouple hundred miles total on everything. It was a good running car. Always ran between under the 1/2 way mark and lower. Could idle at a stop light for 10 mins and wouldn't get hot. It must have been the new guy i got because I saw the RPM hit 4k before shifting to 4th. But i also had to give him a 5 min lesson on how to release the clutch. =l The only thing i have done since was replace the oil, and run a compression test. I also took it to the QT that's by my house. But that really doesn't count.

so warped head... ok Kinda sucks but I don't mind doing another one.

ohh this isn't the first time it has gone through emissions, I took it through twice before. The first time it was stuck in open loop, the secound got it down to closed loop; almost passed. both times it ran like a raped ape, and never really got hot. I'll get a shop to write me up a quote and see what the those EPA guys have to say. They should've just accepted my $500 initial parts only quote.

Quick Reply: DMV overheated my engine!