Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slamming a 944.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Tayloray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Konis are so expensive for a good set. I might be waiting another two weeks. total comes out to $592. Plus alignment. I wontder how low i can go with just that, and torsion adjustment.

Thanks for the welcome, this seems like a great thriving forum.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:27 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your just gonna adjust the spring plates, that typically drops the *** down 1/2".
If you want to go more you'll have to reindex the torsion bars. If you go this route, you may as well get bigger bars and and upgrade the bushings.
This can be a big pita the first time and usually take s a few times to get the ride hieght set.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Tayloray
Instructor

Yeah, i was looking at how to do it, it seems like a bitch. how low can you drop the back just by reindexing them?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:39 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

by reindexing you can set the car on the stoppers. I pulled my torsions out completely and went with coilovers. I too like a low car but there is a limit where it effects the handling of the car and the ride. I would say a good couple inches and thats it. If you do go w/ coilovers only you will need to get the Racers Edge lower mounts or you will shear the lower bolt off.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:02 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't expect good handling if you "slam" it.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Tayloray
Instructor

Yeah i assumed that. I'm not sure how low i'm going to take it, as of yet.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:04 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm running 350lb springs, 30mm tb, elephant racing bearings . dropped pretty low. about 4" rocker clearance. ride on suburbia roads is pretty damn good
Old 05-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

when the Detroit automakers put form over function the european automakers snapped up all their customers that wanted a car that can perform. In the early 80s the car to beat was the 944. It's performance was the pinnacle of function over form and a daily driver to boot.

Do what you want, it's your car. Your eyes may be happy with the results, but I am pretty sure after you take a few turns your **** wont.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:03 PM
67King
Race Car

Can I ask what your goals for the car are? When I read some of your posts, I am inclined to think you bought a car as a toy and did no research on it. For example, "no aftermarket." Um, try owning something like a Merkur XR4Ti. Great car, no aftermarket. I bought my 944 (turbo) specifically because of the strong aftermarket. Koni's expensive? Um, Koni's are on the cheap end of what people put on these cars.

Honestly, from the picture you posted, I'd say you have a freakin' beautiful car. But if all you want to do is lower the car by some obscene amount, your suspension geometry will get all kinds of out of whack, and you'll start tearing up parts. It will get expensive, and uncomfortable.

Seriously, if that is what your idea of tweaking cars is, and if that is your idea of an aftermarket, I think you are going to be in for a disappointing experience. Have you considered selling it, and buying something a little cheaper, with an aftermarket geared more towards appearance than function?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Tayloray
Instructor

Originally Posted by 67King
Can I ask what your goals for the car are? When I read some of your posts, I am inclined to think you bought a car as a toy and did no research on it. For example, "no aftermarket." Um, try owning something like a Merkur XR4Ti. Great car, no aftermarket. I bought my 944 (turbo) specifically because of the strong aftermarket. Koni's expensive? Um, Koni's are on the cheap end of what people put on these cars.

Honestly, from the picture you posted, I'd say you have a freakin' beautiful car. But if all you want to do is lower the car by some obscene amount, your suspension geometry will get all kinds of out of whack, and you'll start tearing up parts. It will get expensive, and uncomfortable.

Seriously, if that is what your idea of tweaking cars is, and if that is your idea of an aftermarket, I think you are going to be in for a disappointing experience. Have you considered selling it, and buying something a little cheaper, with an aftermarket geared more towards appearance than function?
I understand what you're saying. I've always wanted a 944. I just wish i could do somthing to give in a little more power.

And i just have a preference for low cars, it's stupid, and it is in fact fashion over function, but i want to do it.

I like my car, everything except the power department is great, and i like being different, not every kid out there in a civic, or a 240.

krystar. you car looks great, It is about as low as i want mine, i might go about an inch lower. if i can.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by krystar
i'm running 350lb springs, 30mm tb, elephant racing bearings . dropped pretty low. about 4" rocker clearance. ride on suburbia roads is pretty damn good
for Tayloray's benefit, and me too , how much has this set up cost you?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:09 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tayloray
I understand what you're saying. I've always wanted a 944. I just wish i could do somthing to give in a little more power.

And i just have a preference for low cars, it's stupid, and it is in fact fashion over function, but i want to do it.

I like my car, everything except the power department is great, and i like being different, not every kid out there in a civic, or a 240.
I apprecaite that more than you realize. When I was your age (presumably), I had a car that was older than me, as well. 67 GTO. Nobody knew what it was (in the literal sense - my sister used to call it my "old hooptie grandpa car"). But, I knew that the car was, and what it wasn't (figuratively). Never tried to make it something it wasn't. Bought the car 5/13/89, and I still have it.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that it seems to me that you want to turn it into those Civics and 240s that everyone else has, which seems counterproductive. As for the power - there's a saying: "straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers." You've got a driver's car. If you really have to try to do something to it that it isn't really meant to do, I honestly think you'd be better off looking for something else. But like you said, not everyone on the block has a 944. If you like the car that much, embrace it for what it is!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:18 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Don't expect good handling if you "slam" it.
I disagree, as have several M3 and 996 drivers... not to mention several other 951 drivers...

But then my ride isn't to everyone's taste...

Koni Yellow front coil overs, 300lb springs Konis set 3/4 firm (I was going back and forth between 3/4 and full firm...

Rear Koni Sports set full firm, with re-indexed stock tbars...
Old 05-02-2010, 02:05 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John,

Your car isnt nearly as low as i imagine this guy wanting to go with his. We are probably on the same page...
Old 05-02-2010, 02:58 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
for Tayloray's benefit, and me too , how much has this set up cost you?
The bearings are the most expensive part..

All said and done I MIGHT have 2K in suspension, but a large part of that is in the bushing replacement.... Oh and the strut tower brace and Ground Control camber plates...

the Konis came on my car from the factory, so I did the hacksaw insert change, added the coil over sleeves and springs from Paragon..

I am planning to put in ER bearings for the rear rubber bushings, tbar delete, series 30 coil overs, when I do this I will also UP the front spring rate (gets me shorter springs AND higher rate)

MOST people would not need or want the ER bushings... I did it for my own reasons, and do not regret them one bit..

SOME people would not like my ride, but again I have it the way I do for my own reasons, and again do not regret what I have done one bit...

NEW Koni front and rear full coil over setups are $1262.76, and that includes everything needed for full coil over front and rear...

Add $250 for ball joint set, another $250ish for drop links (geometry correction), $250ish for GC plates and you are roughly where I am WITHOUT the ER bushings, but you would have rear coil over and be able to to the TB delete! All for 2K... FWIW, add Racers Edge spherical bearing for the entire car and you are out another $1300 or so...

Quick Reply: Slamming a 944.