Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Steel fuel lines with AN fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 12:52 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Post Stainless Steel fuel lines with AN fittings?

Is anybody running them? With all the stories of engine fires, I was wondering if it would be worth it...

Regards,
Old 03-28-2003, 12:53 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Did you check <a href="http://www.rennbay.com?" target="_blank">www.rennbay.com?</a>
Old 03-28-2003, 01:01 AM
User 41221
Banned

Those aren't AN fittings. Those are what we used to call in the drag racing circuit as "fancy clamps", they look like AN fittings but are really just hose clamps with a decorative cover. I am looking for the real thing, as they are considerably more reliable than hose clamps. It also requires a FPR with AN fittings as well.

Thanks for the quick reply tho. It amazes me what a great resource this is!

Regards,
Old 03-28-2003, 01:03 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SS lines shown at <a href="http://www.rennbay.com/ssfuellines.html" target="_blank">http://www.rennbay.com/ssfuellines.html</a>
are NOT AN fitting lines, rather they are cosmetic covers with hose clamps.

True Aeroquip AN fittings are a whole different ball-game and require some specialized - i.e. aircraft flare tools to complete.

You can buy Aeroquip SS lines and cosmetic (rice) covers at good local speed shops. The real secret is to use top quality hose clamps like the OEM Porsche NORMA clamps. They have a much better gripping pressure than regular hose clamps.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:07 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
ahh, ic ic

learn something new every day

Old 03-28-2003, 01:13 AM
User 41221
Banned

I've got the flare tool for the hard lines, and I can get a local hydraulic shop to make up the lines for me, relatively cheap, if I want to pursue this. If I do, I will probably go with rubber fuel lines, as steel braided is overkill, IMO, and tends to file down whatever it comes in contact with.

I am mostly just curious to find out if anyone else has done it, and if so, where did you get your FPR?

Regards,
Old 03-28-2003, 05:13 AM
Nocturnal_Breed
Instructor

scott,

Havent done it yet but looking into it. Talked to a few people about it and they feel ss lines are overkill as well. I'm going to do it as soon as the car is back together. I'm just going to cover the lines with fire braid to help with the filing action you talked about. If you end up doing it the "right" way let me know how it goes.

Nocturnal_Breed@yahoo.com
Old 03-28-2003, 05:41 AM
Redeye
Racer

I've got SS fuel lines with AN fittings as well as a high temp protective cover for the SS mesh. The lines actually go down into the fender so I no longer have to worry about a fuel leak coming from where the stock rubber lines meet the hard lines. Chris at Technodyne made the ones I have. You can kind of see them if you click on the link in my sig.

Dan
Old 03-28-2003, 07:22 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott,
I've been following the "SS Lines" thing, would
like to go to good quality lines myself. The problem I see with trying to go to Aeroquip or any
aircraft quality fittings is that they are all
sized in inches. The flare to pipe thread nipples
ect. I work in the aviation business so getting
stuff is no problem, just that how would one go
about adapting to metric tubing/fittings ect?
Keep us posted on this and I'll take a closer look
at what we are working with myself and see if I
can come up with some kind of answer.
Bill
Old 03-28-2003, 08:55 AM
pikey7
Drifting

The biggest problem is the METRIC fittings on the fuel rail. I've tried finding out what they are, with no luck yet..... but I do have some contacts I'm still working with.
The alternative, is to talk with Tim at SFR. They do a full fuel conversion kit, but if you ask nicely, will probably do a special....?
Old 03-28-2003, 10:09 AM
944LT1
Racer

I have ss lines with a/n fittings. The connections at fender are no problem. The supply uses a 3/8 compression fitting (you simply drill the ferrel out to 10mm) no flaring required. The return line has to be flaired and uses a 5/16 fitting. As for the engine side......I dont know I have a different engine.
<a href="http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=261571&uid=129677" target="_blank">web page</a>

Also ss lines may be overkill but in my opinion ss lines without a/n fittings are dangerous at best.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:50 AM
zakk
Instructor

This topic is brought up nearly every single time an engine fire post is made. I think there just might some demand for this. Some tuner guys should look into liberating some cash from people's wallets with this. *hint* *hint*
Old 03-28-2003, 12:50 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey 944LT1,
Great photos!! I love your shop. How does the car perform with the LT1 motor? I can't believe that thing fit in there!!
Old 03-29-2003, 01:53 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 944LT1:
<strong>

Also ss lines may be overkill but in my opinion ss lines without a/n fittings are dangerous at best.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I dont feel that an A/N setup would be cost effective for most of us.

The stock hoses were "crimped" on. The crimps leaked over time. The "non-A/N" lines I sell do have little red covers but they also come with much larger, heavy duty clamps that are not gong to let go on you. Much more trust worthy than even the Porsche clamps IMHO. If you were going after a full A/N setup you would be looking at much more money and hassle than my current option.

If running clamped lines is "dangerous at best," I dont see why all of our cars did not blown up in the first thousand miles do to the weaker stock "crimped" connection lines.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:35 AM
944LT1
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Travis - sflraver:
I dont feel that an A/N setup would be cost effective for most of us.

The stock hoses were "crimped" on. The crimps leaked over time. The "non-A/N" lines I sell do have little red covers but they also come with much larger, heavy duty clamps that are not gong to let go on you. Much more trust worthy than even the Porsche clamps IMHO. If you were going after a full A/N setup you would be looking at much more money and hassle than my current option.

If running clamped lines is "dangerous at best," I dont see why all of our cars did not blown up in the first thousand miles do to the weaker stock "crimped" connection lines.[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The factory crimps are much stronger than screw clamps and they cannot vibrate loose. The factory hoses fail because the rubber dries out and rots. I paid $97 (including $13 shipping) for 6' of a/n hose and all the fittings needed.

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel fuel lines with AN fittings?