Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Interested in a Southeast 944 gathering?
Yes! I will be there, rain or shine!
42.86%
Yes but I won't be able to make it. (too far or broken car!)
7.14%
Not sure until all the details (date/location/etc.) are set in stone.
42.86%
Hail naw!
7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

SOUTHEAST 944 GATHERING (ideas/planning thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:10 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb SOUTHEAST 944 GATHERING (ideas/planning thread)

Hi everybody. My local 944 brothers have been itching to have another 944 gathering here in Orlando, and we'd like our 'meet' to grow to an 'event' by inviting a bigger group of cars and possibly providing some more vendors and race cars to check out, as well as more activities.

And since 944Fest is in Ohio during the summer, and there are other big events around the country... I thought it would be nice to have a Southeast 944 event during the early spring.

Of course, it would take place here in Orlando since this is where it all got started a couple years back, meeting just 5 or 6 cars up at a local Hooters.

Last year our 944 gathering started on top of a parking garage in downtown Orlando, and cruised around some of Orlando's most scenic, twisty roads, ending up at a bbq restaurant where some 944 cup cars were presented. Everybody had a blast and was begging for another great time ASAP! Here are the pictures from last year's meet:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=49442

So I'm looking for some new ideas, as well as knowing if more people from out of state might be interested in coming down.

Update: This event will most likely take place in March... but not during the weekend of the Sebring 12 Hours endurance race. Does anyone know of any other events happening in March that might interfere?

Vote on the poll if you are interested in joining, and please share any ideas you may have for our next big 944 event!

Thanks!

Last edited by drift a 944; 01-08-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Dr Whoopie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm up for it and the trip to Sebring
Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 PM
luftpirate
Pro

My grandparents live in Lake Placid 15min from there, I would love to come down but the question is would my car ???
Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Dr Whoopie - sounds good, I'll give you a heads up once everything is planned!

luftpirate - based on all the work you have put into it, I'm sure it will do fine! I plan on attending Ohio's 944fest '10 in at least one of my 944's
Old 12-11-2009, 11:42 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Elliott, the master planner... at it again!

Keep me posted!
Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

i've wanted to come to one of your meets for while now, so maybe i'll be able to make it...school providing
Old 12-13-2009, 04:43 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Jason - I may need your help with some things. I'll get in touch with you!

Ethan - You might not believe it, but I just met a local guy last week who has an LT1 944 who will most likely bring his car! I honestly can't believe you guys are willing to come down from Ohio and Maryland and all to this event... whether you make it or not, that is great!! and I appreciate the interest!!! Just keep in mind this is not going to be an all weekend or even an all-day event, just the good majority of a Saturday. So make sure you plan out the rest of your weekend well, I can help out with ideas if needed.

And for those of you who have posted or will post in this thread, I'll make sure to PM or Email you the details as soon as I have everything planned out!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:46 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Oh, and did I forget to mention I have a list of about 130+ Rennlist and Pelican 944/968/928 owners JUST IN FLORIDA to contact?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Jason - I may need your help with some things. I'll get in touch with you!

Ethan - You might not believe it, but I just met a local guy last week who has an LT1 944 who will most likely bring his car! I honestly can't believe you guys are willing to come down from Ohio and Maryland and all to this event... whether you make it or not, that is great!! and I appreciate the interest!!! Just keep in mind this is not going to be an all weekend or even an all-day event, just the good majority of a Saturday. So make sure you plan out the rest of your weekend well, I can help out with ideas if needed.

And for those of you who have posted or will post in this thread, I'll make sure to PM or Email you the details as soon as I have everything planned out!
You got it
Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Pops Moneypit
Track Day

Elliott, I've have been anxiously watching these threads waiting to hear about our next rally. I had a blast last spring and can't wait to hear more about going to Sebring. There's really nothing like driving thru the streets in a pack of 24 other 944's. Thanks for all you do for the Central Florida group. I live in Davenport and down here we call ourselves Ridge Runners. Let me know if there's anything you need down this way.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:59 AM
misnblu
Rennlist Member

Orlando is such a long drive from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi.
I'd love to go but as always my location does not cater to being very close to such meeting spots.
But I'm subscribed now and will listen for any possible way to go.
We'll see.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Hey Pops - thank you! I'm glad you had fun last time! I'll contact you if there's anything you can help me with, thanks!

misnblu - Orlando is indeed very far, for anybody and everybody out of state to come down. If you made the trip then that would be awesome! But don't feel obligated to go.. I greatly appreciate the interest however!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:08 PM
misnblu
Rennlist Member

Elliot, it's all the wear and tear on the car that keeps me from making such a long trip.
I've got another car that has it's following and meets all across the country but again, it's the long trip that keeps me from driving the car and possibly having issues with it making it.

Once I get further into the 944 and have some familiarity with it along with some maintenance work I might be able to make it next year, Lord willing.
Good luck though on this and I'll be listening to the thread.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:02 PM
P. Ortiz
Advanced

That sounds like a good time, especially since I'm just down the I-4 about 40 minutes, over in Lakeland. I helped plan a couple of national club events for a car club that I was in back when I lived in Western New York. A couple of thoughts; If you can get enough commitments for lodging, a conveniently located hotel might gladly supply a portion of its parking lot for a car show. If that hotel was somewhere like Hotel Plaza Boulevard in Lake Buena Vista, the entertainment problem, post-show, is solved with Disney Village right there. Back when I was on the event committee, we always had a post-show scenic drive. It usually ran through a populated area where the cars got some visual exposure to the public, but also extended to more lonely roads where one could blow any loose dust off the car. It was fun. One year, we ran the drive right through Goat Island past the rapids and within view of Niagara Falls. It created a great memory for the national AND international club members to see the tourists stop to watch us drive by with the falls as a backdrop. Anyway, I look forward this gathering.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

misnblu - I understand the dilemma 100%. It's the same reason I haven't been able to attend 944fest in Ohio the previous several years. Playing it safe is better than risking the trouble though! Again though I greatly appreciate the interest in this event!

Mr. Ortiz - thank you for the suggestions! What I have in mind is a little different, but your ideas give me an opportunity to broaden my plans for this event. I don't want to make it a huuge event, trying to stay more on the grassroots feel of a typical car meet, except with a fun cruise and a lunch/dinner and maybe some extras. Thank you though, and I will probably get in touch with you once I set the date!

Quick Reply: SOUTHEAST 944 GATHERING (ideas/planning thread)