Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood scoop (read inside before flaming!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:24 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

just put some vents like the 924 carrera gt ones from the header panel.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's kinda what i was thinking at first, but i don't want the engine open to the elements (i.e. rain) all the time...that would be ok with a carbed engine, but with electronic fuel injection i don't really want to do that...that's why i was thinking something like what the shaker hoods on the trans ams had...except where i could control the flapper with a choke cable run into the passenger compartment...just pull a lever and it opens, push it back and it closes and seals...
Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
that's kinda what i was thinking at first, but i don't want the engine open to the elements (i.e. rain) all the time...that would be ok with a carbed engine, but with electronic fuel injection i don't really want to do that...that's why i was thinking something like what the shaker hoods on the trans ams had...except where i could control the flapper with a choke cable run into the passenger compartment...just pull a lever and it opens, push it back and it closes and seals...
that sounds like a cool/ power adder idea
Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

just need to find a set of flaps that isn't 200 bucks...you can buy the trans am ones new, but they're 180 bucks, holy crap!! i need something i can pick up for, say, 50 bucks, and modify it to make it work
Old 07-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Vonov
Racer

Location: Nashville///'84 944NA, Virtual Luftwaffe pilot, Fighter Ace online
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you have it there, why not make use of the fact that it's right there on one of the highest areas of air pressure on the car (when it's moving) and get a little free horsepower. Cut out the front, finish the edges, put some wire mesh behind the hole, and fabricate an air duct to either side, and route it back to the air cleaner. The faster it goes, the more pressure you have, the more pressure you have, the more horsepower you have, the more horsepower you have, the faster it goes, and so on, lol...or forget about the horsepower (sounds like you *might* have a surplus, hehe) and just keep things cool under the hood.

Edit: just read your first post at the top of the page...although since the scoop is metal, you could have louvers punched in it, either front or top...open to the rear on top would help extract heat, and distract the eye from the shape...I *think* the reason so many people are down on it, is because it's so angular...on a car filled with nothing but curves, it tends to clash. You seem to have the welding skills...if you modified the shape of the top of the box, and then bowed the sides out slightly, so that the top of the box mimicked (sp.?) the line of the front fender bulges to either side, you'd probably have a hit, especially if you rolled/softened the front edge...something like this: (modified LT-1 hood scoop)

Last edited by Vonov; 09-13-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry I couldn't give you a better road tour of my 951. After a 375-400hp V8 a turbo 4 can still impress though...
Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonov
As long as you have it there, why not make use of the fact that it's right there on one of the highest areas of air pressure on the car (when it's moving) and get a little free horsepower. Cut out the front, finish the edges, put some wire mesh behind the hole, and fabricate an air duct to either side, and route it back to the air cleaner. The faster it goes, the more pressure you have, the more pressure you have, the more horsepower you have, the more horsepower you have, the faster it goes, and so on, lol...or forget about the horsepower (sounds like you *might* have a surplus, hehe) and just keep things cool under the hood.

Edit: just read your first post at the top of the page...although since the scoop is metal, you could have louvers punched in it, either front or top...open to the rear on top would help extract heat, and distract the eye from the shape...I *think* the reason so many people are down on it, is because it's so angular...on a car filled with nothing but curves, it tends to clash. You seem to have the welding skills...if you modified the shape of the top of the box, and then bowed the sides out slightly, so that the top of the box mimicked (sp.?) the line of the front fender bulges to either side, you'd probably have a hit, especially if you rolled/softened the front edge...something like this: (modified LT-1 hood scoop)
Hey...a Fiero hood.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 AM
krystar
Drifting

yea but ram air doesn't even start making a difference until after 100mph. :P
Old 07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by krystar
yea but ram air doesn't even start making a difference until after 700mph. :P
FYP
Old 07-16-2009, 12:55 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

i've been looking into something along those lines, and it shouldn't be too hard, but at the moment i'm not going to screw with it...i have other projects that come first. I'll definitely keep that picture in mind though.

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Sorry I couldn't give you a better road tour of my 951. After a 375-400hp V8 a turbo 4 can still impress though...
hey, no problem...we'll just have to go for another drive sometime, i'm considering hosting a gtg/fun run, but i haven't had the chance to pick out a route and start advertising...

Originally Posted by krystar
yea but ram air doesn't even start making a difference until after 100mph. :P
that only takes about 9 seconds to reach...
Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

fresh cool air is available at the front of the car, a high pressure area and is good for an intake. however the "ram air" effect does not really happen until you hit the speed of sound. just having a scoop up front does not mean you have 'ram air'
Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

haha, good to know! i would like to do something with the hood to get some good ventilation across the engine
Old 07-16-2009, 06:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

can you take a side-profile shot of the engine bay to show us how much that filter and elbow stick up? i really do think theres a better solution because dear god that box is ugly.

as for flow across the engine youd want to put a vent of some sort maybe over the headers through the hood. there is already plenty of "in" airflow, the problem is getting it out.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:20 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
can you take a side-profile shot of the engine bay to show us how much that filter and elbow stick up? i really do think theres a better solution because dear god that box is ugly.

as for flow across the engine youd want to put a vent of some sort maybe over the headers through the hood. there is already plenty of "in" airflow, the problem is getting it out.
i thought about this for weeks...the best solution would be to drop the engine 3 inches (not possible), get a smaller intake elbow (not worth trying because i know they're not going to be much smaller/tighter angle)...i've thought about getting a lt1 carbed intake...that would let me run a much smaller scoop/bump further back on the hood...but they cost more money than i have, and it would require some time off the road for my car...i'll think about that for a while
Attached Images    
Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should just put some big rally style headlights in front of the large bulge to cover it up. Or at least sell it as advertising space.

Quick Reply: hood scoop (read inside before flaming!!)