Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 944 Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:21 PM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are funny stories about that indeed, better leave it be....
Henk
Old 04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by HJK
Brynjar. don't bother thinking about bringing stuff from here to Europe, Europe is paradise for parts. The simplest parts here are taxed with 30% duty + 7% vat and they all come from Europe or the USA.

Luis, the car will run in Thailand Supercar, up against the beasties like evo's with 750hp etc. But its mainly for fun, racing here is good in grassroots, ie Honda Civic, Toyota Vios, the higher classes are a bit thin and no real rule sets. Fun though. Things might change when we get the 2 new tracks in Thailand, that will liven things up and get the FIA involved in some racing.

Patrick, no seamwelding done at all, also no swiss cheesing done. People here said that the tub has pretty good welding ex factory when I asked, so I left it. Relying on the cage to keep things together. You running 10" up front? I was thinking of using Slicks from the porsche cup cars (slightly used) but didnt think of big boys up front. Currently running Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, have a set of Nitto NT001 in 275/235, have a set of Yoko A48's in 265/225 and a set of federals RSR. The reason I have plenty is because the wife uses them on her boxster at trackdays, I use them on the 911 for the same and now I've got to make up my mind for the 944. I like the nitto's for price/performance but don't know how long they will keep up.

Grtz, Henk
I decided to go for a square setup so that's 285s all round. They are Falken slicks and are not only wider than a road going 285, but also a lot taller. Hence I had to make room up front to fit them. As you can see here, they tuck into the body pretty tightly. The square setup has been proven to work well on our cars. Some guys are running up to 315s all round! You want to minimise the amount of front to rear stagger in your tyre widths. Our cars are setup to naturally understeer so more rubber up front should offset that. Dial out the rest. Ideally I would like to go to a wider rear actually but they don't make the Enkeis in a wider wheel. I will endure this setup for a little while. I have a high hp 3L motor in the wings so we will wait until that goes in to make the call.
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
HJK
Pro

okay, okay, it just never stops does it, now I got to go and see if I can get another 2 rays in 10x18. For spares I'm looking at Enkei NT 03's also quite light but not forged. Anybody converted to race wheels with center lock?
Henk
Old 04-10-2009, 02:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

While the Enkeis are not strictly forged they do use a process that enables them to obtain a similar molecular structure. I've not heard of any issues with the NT 03s. Guess I'll find out.
Try what you have and if you have a spare set of 10's just put them on there one day and see what you think. Then go and buy another set of Rays.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:40 AM
HJK
Pro

Yup, that's what I will do. Today they will fit the mirrors on the car, I had a dislike of the door mounted ones, be it square or teardrop and found them quite heavy. We've adjusted the M3 BMW mirrors to fit in the corner of the window. Quite okay I think and light as a feather.
Attached Images    
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Looking good Henk.
Just how realistic is your turbo version of the engine or when do you think you'll get to that? It can be a big project. The reason I'm asking is that you will need room for bigger wheels and tyres than 10's on the rear is my feeling. If you do a serious 16v turbo you can easily reach 500whp. You can of course cut this power down to a lower value and run it very conservatively for longevity, but you're still going to be dealing with 450whp I would think. By the time you're up and going and have used the n/a motor for a season there might be something ready by then to suit....
Old 04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
HJK
Pro

Here's my plan. The car should be running middle of next month with current engine. Only changes are MAF kit, chip, airfilter. I have underway from Japan another 3.0-16v engine, should arrive this month in TH. I will then check it, crate it and ship it to chris @ turbokraft. He'll need 6 weeks or so for the rebuilt. But he will also put the engine in a donor/test car and set up the engine management system (stand alone). That will probably be another 2 weeks. Then he'll have to ship it back to TH where we need to drop it in the car, install the wiring and engine management, intercooler etc. So I think the car will run like plan somewhere in august.... Waiting for final pricing from Turbokraft and assuming that won't be too far of the original estimates, it should be a go.

I hear what you say on the wheels/tires, might have to go to 11inch rear wheels and more rubber. I'm relaxed on that, my business is tires and wheels...
Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 AM
TheFiend944
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back home after spending 4 weeks in Thailand...... only saw 4 Porsches during that time....

Cheeky Question.... Does Porshe Club Thailand do window stickers?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 AM
HJK
Pro

I think they do, they do polo shirts for sure. PM me and next event I will look for you.
And....we've got a few hundred P cars but a lot of garage queens. That said, the hardcore group is there and drives a lot but mainly outside of bangkok....
Henk
Old 04-10-2009, 08:49 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HJK
Here's my plan. The car should be running middle of next month with current engine. Only changes are MAF kit, chip, airfilter. I have underway from Japan another 3.0-16v engine, should arrive this month in TH. I will then check it, crate it and ship it to chris @ turbokraft. He'll need 6 weeks or so for the rebuilt. But he will also put the engine in a donor/test car and set up the engine management system (stand alone). That will probably be another 2 weeks. Then he'll have to ship it back to TH where we need to drop it in the car, install the wiring and engine management, intercooler etc. So I think the car will run like plan somewhere in august.... Waiting for final pricing from Turbokraft and assuming that won't be too far of the original estimates, it should be a go.

I hear what you say on the wheels/tires, might have to go to 11inch rear wheels and more rubber. I'm relaxed on that, my business is tires and wheels...
So have they quoted you on a complete turbo build of a 3L 16v engine? Intake, exhaust, standalone, turbo, i/c etc and all the internals? I can't imagine a kit as such being available and if not, very hard to quote on this without doing it. I'll be following those posts Henk.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick question Henk: Do you still have a stock S2 airbox? I was wondering about the nose panel vent... just for aesthetics, or is there any function there? I can't see it would achieve much with a stock S2 airbox, but perhaps you've got something else going on...
Old 04-10-2009, 10:07 AM
HJK
Pro

Yes, I got the indication, the final amount depending on the status of the engine I sent.
here's what goes in, there will be a lot of work on the internals, like knife edging the crankshaft, additional oil supply etc. But as a base:
4 custom forged racing pistons, lightweight forged wrist pins & ring set
4 custom forged light weight connecting rods
racing preparation of crank, block, and pan (for ultimate engine longevity)
polished stainless steel header/collector, catalytic bypass (optional) and muffler
KKK Turbocharger and oil/water plumbing
custom aluminum Intercooler and custom aluminum boost plumbing
custom aluminum Oil Cooler with braided lines
Lightweight Performance Clutch package
Cylinder head: full valve job, o-ring, port & polish
Complete engine gasket set, complete bearing set
All new cooling hoses and boost hoses
Engine management with motronic injection system, Mass Flow, chips, and injectors
Labor to install 3.0L kit, including complete overhaul, R&R engine, dyno tune in donor car

Thats the basics.
H
Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 AM
HJK
Pro

Mark, that will go, surely when the turbo engine comes and the intercooler goes there, but probably earlier. Plan to install MAF set next week and then go to a cone filter instead of this. This build up is just standard build back at the bodyshop after the cleaning, painting, caging work.
Henk
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HJK
Yes, I got the indication, the final amount depending on the status of the engine I sent.
here's what goes in, there will be a lot of work on the internals, like knife edging the crankshaft, additional oil supply etc. But as a base:
4 custom forged racing pistons, lightweight forged wrist pins & ring set
4 custom forged light weight connecting rods
racing preparation of crank, block, and pan (for ultimate engine longevity)
polished stainless steel header/collector, catalytic bypass (optional) and muffler
KKK Turbocharger and oil/water plumbing
custom aluminum Intercooler and custom aluminum boost plumbing
custom aluminum Oil Cooler with braided lines
Lightweight Performance Clutch package
Cylinder head: full valve job, o-ring, port & polish
Complete engine gasket set, complete bearing set
All new cooling hoses and boost hoses
Engine management with motronic injection system, Mass Flow, chips, and injectors
Labor to install 3.0L kit, including complete overhaul, R&R engine, dyno tune in donor car

Thats the basics.
H
I wonder what KKK turbo they're referring to? I have heard there might be some new ones coming out but not yet. I would find out a little more about this. There's plenty of good turbos to use out there.
Also I thought you were going standalone not a piggy back?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 AM
HJK
Pro

back from a week in Europe. Yup plan is to go standalone, waiting for the spec sheet from Turbokraft, will let tyou know final details.
H

Quick Reply: Another 944 Project