Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Rapishorrid
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasonable?

Hey all I'm new here. I'm a 17yr old who's always wanted a 944, and is finally thinking about getting one at the end of the summer. That's quite a while from now.. but I'll be making the money I need to buy it from now until then. I don't know much about 944's aside from basic specs and such (yet atleast haha).

My budget since I'm a 17 year old, is naturally tight. Is it possible to get a 944 and make it reliably driveable for under 3k? My friend got his 944S in nice physical and mechanical condition, that just needed a new power steering pump for $2700, which included brand new Carrera rims and tires. Do 944s ever go for this low, or lower? I wouldn't mind having to do a little TLC, especially if its just the interior or something.

Or am I way to hopeful and shouldn't bother saving my money..
Old 03-30-2009, 05:39 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm...well, make sure you get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) the more you know, the less it can hurt you. I bought my 944 for 2650, but neither the previous owner nor i knew about the issues it would have (ball joints). So if you can find something (very possible) get it inspected before you buy it!

other than that word of advice, i'd say definitely! I was 17 when i bought my 944 (although it was my 4th, i'd had 3 project cars that hadn't gone anywhere prior to that).

Good luck!
Ethan
Old 03-30-2009, 05:45 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It is possible, but you need to buy very, very carefully.

I agree with what Ethan said....

FYI...just a clutch job (if you have to pay a mechanic to do it) will set you back around $1500 on a 944.....but if you buy carefully....get a good PPI done....and don't buy something that's been sitting around, not maintained....then you can have a reasonably inexpensive 944.

BUT...be prepared to maintain it regularly (not that expensive) or it can very quickly become the most expensive, cheap car you've ever owned.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:09 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only way it will work is this.

1) You can get by not driving it if it breaks - (Some form of back up)

2) You have access to tools or skills to do the wrenching on the car yourself. If you must pay a shop to fix it costs will go up by 2 to 3 times. I have a 88 944 Turbo S and have had it for 12 years. I would not be able to afford it if I had to pay shop labor rates to maintain it.

3) It will be a project. No cheap Porsche is really cheap. These cars need work and not doing it will turn it in big pile of poo. You can't just keep driving it when some part does not work well. This does not mean they are junk cars. Not at all. I have 84 944 that I have raced for 7 years and it holds ups very well in a tough racing enviorment. That was after I bought it as a junker back in 1999 for $1400. So if maintained the car will last forever. If not maintained it will be junk.

4) It is not that fast. Cheap honda can be faster in a straight line. Understand it now and deal with it. Also realize there is no easy way to make it more powerful. It just won't happen. You can make it faster, but faster in a 944 means better handling which first means a good driver. I bought and 83 944 for parts and found it to be solid enogh to be fun autocross (parking lot racer) car. In stock form I could drive that thing pretty fast and many times logged better lap times than 20 year newer Porsches and even those with 200 more hp. However it was really all driver being able to flog the car to last bit. Point is driver is the best way to make the car "faster".
Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rapishorrid
Hey all I'm new here. I'm a 17yr old who's always wanted a 944, and is finally thinking about getting one at the end of the summer. That's quite a while from now.. but I'll be making the money I need to buy it from now until then. I don't know much about 944's aside from basic specs and such (yet atleast haha).

My budget since I'm a 17 year old, is naturally tight...
There are two kinds of people who can afford these cars: skilled wrenches who can do all their own work, and have plenty of time to do it in, and people with the money to afford a much newer Porsche.

So how good are you? Can you do a timing belt? Can you swap out a cylinder head? Can you rebuild an engine?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Rapishorrid
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Whisper
There are two kinds of people who can afford these cars: skilled wrenches who can do all their own work, and have plenty of time to do it in, and people with the money to afford a much newer Porsche.

So how good are you? Can you do a timing belt? Can you swap out a cylinder head? Can you rebuild an engine?
I can do pretty basic stuff, but nothing that'd be too helpful. Luckily I'm friends with 2 kids who can do almost anything. One works at a shop and recently built a 350whp 2.3 turbo ford ranger and routinely works on cars, and the other (who owns a 944) has some knowledge and skill too. So issues like timing belts and clutches can be taken care of no problem.

Also I'm not necessarily looking to go fast. I know the limits of these cars - stock. I'd be looking at a non turbo model anyway for insurance. I want a 944 because it's stylish, fun to drive, handles well and is basically an affordable porsche. Under 200hp in a 2500lb car with 50/50 weight distribution is fine by me.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:07 PM
RedRose
Racer

I'll sell ya mine for under 3k. It doesn't have carpet or sound dampening, which makes it quite a bit louder inside, but it's been well taken care of! Only thing is that you, like everyone else, probably don't live in Iowa.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

i bought mine when i was 15, for $1000. now im 19 and about $8000 into the car and i havent even started repairing the interior yet.

take the time to find a well-sorted one even if it costs 3 or 4k, it will cost less in the long run
Old 03-30-2009, 07:22 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

If you're located near a rennlister perhaps they could inspect the car with you?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq.html

Take some time and read through this

Best of luck.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rapishorrid
I can do pretty basic stuff, but nothing that'd be too helpful. Luckily I'm friends with 2 kids who can do almost anything. One works at a shop and recently built a 350whp 2.3 turbo ford ranger and routinely works on cars, and the other (who owns a 944) has some knowledge and skill too. So issues like timing belts and clutches can be taken care of no problem.
How much can you lean on them?

If someone's doing all your projects for you, you might burn through your stock of goodwill pretty fast.

I have all my work done by a fellow rennlister who goes to my old university, but I pay him by the hour. That way I don't have to worry about how much work I need done... like most college kids, he's chronically broke, so he's more than happy to handle anything I want done.

It feels a little weird not getting my hands greasy like most of the other 'listers do, but hey, I wanted a toy, not a hobby.

If you're relying on friendship for their help, have them teach you and put in most of the sweat equity yourself, otherwise you'll wear out your welcome quick.

Also I'm not necessarily looking to go fast. I know the limits of these cars - stock. I'd be looking at a non turbo model anyway for insurance. I want a 944 because it's stylish, fun to drive, handles well and is basically an affordable porsche. Under 200hp in a 2500lb car with 50/50 weight distribution is fine by me.
Yeah, they're fun, unique, and stylish. If that's what you're really looking for, then you will definitely not be disappointed.

And if you do want MOAR POWAR, then I'm a big fan of the LS1 swap. (Yeah, I know, I'm a blasphemous heretic, heard it already.)
Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Rapishorrid
6th Gear

If you're relying on friendship for their help, have them teach you and put in most of the sweat equity yourself, otherwise you'll wear out your welcome quick.
Yeah the way they work is I'd be right there with them learning to do some stuff and helping out where I can. They enjoy working on their friends cars and showing us how to do stuff especially because they're usually getting their hands on unique cars, like the porsche, a conquest TSI, turbo'd ranger etc.

If I do end up making the decision to save up for this car, my goal would be to from now until the end of summer, read and learn as much as I can about these cars so I know what I'm talking about/looking for and doing when I go to buy and hopefully when I do own one.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you have picked a good place to learn and ask questions about these cars.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

You seem to have the right frame of mind. But it's really, really important to be patient when looking and not get caught up in the excitement of buying and rush into something that will end up costing double (at least) after repairs. Clutch is a big one as are water pump and belts.. I always think of it this way: parts alone will cost you what it costs for parts and labor on the average domestic or Japanese car repair of the same thing.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I would run. I bought one when I was 18 for $1250 and 3 years later I'm like Spencer...probably at least $8k into it and the headliner is still falling off.

I think you'll have a lot more fun with a Subaru 2.5RS, an E30 or E36 BMW, or an integra (although I hate FWD).

Just think of it this way: Water Pump for a 944 is at least $250. Water pump for a subaru is about $25.

You know you should just go to a 24 Hours of LeMons race and pick up a car when a team is done with it. (:

Quick Reply: Reasonable?