Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Blinker Fluid to Use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:03 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These cars get more complex every time I get on Rennlist.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
Yes, it will bastardize your car and if you do go with chevy blinkers, your blinkers won't work as well when cornering. You will need to upgrade you brake light fluid to handle the extra resistance as well.
i think that requires 3ohm ballast resistors to work.

Originally Posted by Pcar944
You wanna live dangerously be my guest. I've known people go as long as 45,000, but they're living on borrowed time, old blinkers can cause any kind of catastrophic failure at any time. And I wouldnt want to be behind the wheel maybe even intending to change lanes and then have that happen.
Yeah Porsche originaly said 90,000kms but that could have been ROI or even just the french market.
id be too afraid that a sudden catastrophic blinker failure would bend my filaments, maybe even crack the housing..
Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Mike,

I cut to the chase on the posts...

Look... I'm not trying to keep this a secret, but... it's all mineral oil these days man... go to Publix, load up, and your blinkers will never be more happy.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Drew, have you tried the propane conversion for the sun-roof motor? You can use flexible lines, much easier to install than the hard lines you have now.

Who said at 45,000 you're living on borrowed time. I'm at 100K on mine now. I guess I better replace them just to be sure. I'm glad I learned that turbo blinkers will fail due to the increase compression though because that was my first thought! Maybe a set of corvette blinkers? Has anyone tried blinker coolers? Motor Master is selling them cheap.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

75ohm - how about KY fluid. I saw some at the pharmancy and it's supposed to be very slippery? Cost a bunch mind you but happy blinkers are worth the extra expense.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
75ohm - how about KY fluid. I saw some at the pharmancy and it's supposed to be very slippery? Cost a bunch mind you but happy blinkers are worth the extra expense.
I'm not much for anything made in Kentucky going on my German auto, thank you very much.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 PM
S4ordie
Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 195 Posts

Blinker fluid? What in the world are you talking about? Is this for real? I may be new to Porsches and Rennlist but I am no fool. You folks really had me going there for awhile till I figured out you were talking about Turn Indicator Lubricant. In the future please stick to the factory terminology. As Rennlist is comprised of of an international community the use of idiomatic expressions like "blinker fluid" may confuse.

As for the sloshing effect, I purchased baffles from 944online. They work great but be sure to pay attention to the part numbers.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by S2ordie
Blinker fluid? What in the world are you talking about? Is this for real? I may be new to Porsches and Rennlist but I am no fool. You folks really had me going there for awhile till I figured out you were talking about Turn Indicator Lubricant. In the future please stick to the factory terminology. As Rennlist is comprised of of an international community the use of idiomatic expressions like "blinker fluid" may confuse.

As for the sloshing effect, I purchased baffles from 944online. They work great but be sure to pay attention to the part numbers.
Look man... don't come on here all "new like" throwing terms out we don't know... not cool man... just not cool. Turn Indicator Lubricant... jeez.

great post.

PS - thanks for supporting our site sponsors with the baffle purchase... say... those things make your car faster?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by S2ordie

dang furreners coming here and telling us we use the wrong words.

right here http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6 blinker fluid. trying to muss us up with fancy shmancy words.

and if you want to know exactly what it is and are too dang lazy to google http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1105040AAdUc2i

Im gonna order me a set of these http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=4 them there ballz and my turbo will make me king of the road.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 PM
vro944om
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoa whoa... you guys are using blinker fluid? wow, didn't you know that it messus up your headlight fluid filter? the blinker fluid builds up and rusts away the fibers , i just go with basic hand signals, no dangerous fluids for me..
Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I'm thinking of racing my 944 in the future so i'm looking into installing a blinker fluid cooler to keep the blinker temps down. My buddy was racing a viper in his NA when his blinker fluid overheated and he lost the race.
If it's an na, a blinker cooler is not required.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 PM
S4ordie
Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 195 Posts

Faster? Why yes of course. With the baffels doing their work it prevents the Turn Indicator Lubricant, heretofore to be referred by the acronym TIL, from loading up on the high G side of the car during aggressive cornering. Though it contributes nigh to the output of the engine, it does provide a more balanced squat as one enters and exits the apex of a curve. And for me there is nothing more noticable than a balanced squat.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my blinker fluid today and now my car won't start!!! What should I do???
Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by marcusw03
I changed my blinker fluid today and now my car won't start!!! What should I do???
You need to learn to use the search function...

You need to check the BFR, blinker fluid relay, then check for spark...
Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by marcusw03
Fortunately - this is an easy fix, as it's most commonly caused by the "B.S." (Blinker Sensor)...

Anyway... Get your 944 to the top of a small incline with the gearbox in neutral.. Next - door open (preferably the drivers side - but your choice) and start the car rolling down the hill... As it gains a substantial speed - hop in - and press in the clutch and put it in REVERSE.. Let out the clutch with the ignition on...

If your car starts - it will be in reverse, and if the engine isn't running in reverse - you will be going BACK up the hill, which should unstick the stuck B.S.... (If the engine catches in reverse - you will be going forward while your gearbox is in reverse.. It's OK to drive it that way - but - you'll have only one gear in forward - and 5 in reverse..?)...

Anyway - again - it's a stuck "B.S."

Hope this helps. And if it does - then we are both in trouble....

JD

Quick Reply: What Blinker Fluid to Use?