Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Blinker Fluid to Use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mom's toyota has over 150k miles on the original blinker fluid and yet it works perfectly fine and it blinks just as new however blinker fluid technology has changed a lot since the 80s.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Fractured
Everyone knows it's the only way to go faster! The key is to not overboost.

Apologies, but my car didn't come with a manual. May I borrow yours or should I start six threads and ask the same questions over and over with the understanding that, although I'm asking for advice, I likely won't follow any of it until page 9?
Wow, a newbie that understands how things work (unfortunately) over here. welcome.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
My mom's toyota has over 150k miles on the original blinker fluid and yet it works perfectly fine and it blinks just as new however blinker fluid technology has changed a lot since the 80s.
trade her your 944 with new blinker fluid and clutch for her old toyota. your grades will thank you.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM
drew44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are confusing me. Are you talking about the front blinker reservoir or the back, because my front takes a 20 /50 while the back is less prone to leaking so I run a 5w30. You guys need to be more specific. Some of us are having big trouble with the rear wiper motor. My car had a failed wiper filter, so the filter is trashed but who needs a rear wiper?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 AM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Is there a manual conversion. If there is I would like to go that route, mine's leaking and would rather change it out since it needs repaired anyways.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 AM
El Commandante
Pro

Why are you all as dumb as preschoolers? I never expected this from Rennlist! You have blinker fluid leaks because you are using blinker fluid!!! You need to run ATF if you want to prevent a leaky blinker rack! now get out there and seafoam your blinker system and add some ATF!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frporschman already mentioned his manual conversion. He said he uses hand signals.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by drew44
.... You guys need to be more specific. Some of us are having big trouble with the rear wiper motor. My car had a failed wiper filter, so the filter is trashed but who needs a rear wiper?
I have observed that the rear wiper motor lasts a lot longer if you keep the wiper blades sharp. I do mine nearly every weekend.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

hmm.. I don't find my blinker reservoir, is it possible that my car is the rare manual blinker version, or did the former owner replaced the reservoir with (now empty) cocacola bottle that sits under the seat?! if that is the case, it probably explains why my blinkers blink like its christmas again..

by the way, does anybody have any used piston control cable for sale? I could use one..
Old 01-23-2009, 09:33 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I am glad I found this thread, but after so many pages I will try to get this back on topic. I have a strange problem, the left and right blinkers work fine, only when I use the hazards I get a loud knock. I have also noticed this when I flash my high beams. WTF, this car just keeps killing me and I was planning to roll on some new paint this afternoon, now I can't because of this. Last week it was the thermomanator, which a fellow lister gave me a spare. My wife is already tired of this car and all the time I spend on it. Anyway, as for my problem, Bruce Anderson says RS blinker fluid conversion kits from Andial will take care of the knock, but I will have to have a maschine shop drill out my windshield. Help.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:36 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It's an odd feeling when you realize you're too old for something. Sure, you could try to jump your Geo Tracker over that dirt mound at the abandoned housing development, but age informs those choices. I met some random girl in an airport bar a few weeks ago, and we ended up sitting next to each other in coach near the front of the plane. When the last few stragglers where walking down the plane's aisle, she suggested that we sneak into first class since it was mostly unoccupied. I declined and she asked, "Why? What could they do to us?" I told her that maybe they would kick us off the flight and was met with remarkably arched eyebrows and stifled laugh. She actually crept up the aisle and took a seat in the fourth row of first class without any of the flight attendants noticing. I was hit in the chest with several packets of first class snacks during the flight, and I'm going to blame the wis dom that comes with age as the reason I remained in coach.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
Wow, I am glad I found this thread, but after so many pages I will try to get this back on topic. I have a strange problem, the left and right blinkers work fine, only when I use the hazards I get a loud knock. I have also noticed this when I flash my high beams. WTF, this car just keeps killing me and I was planning to roll on some new paint this afternoon, now I can't because of this. Last week it was the thermomanator, which a fellow lister gave me a spare. My wife is already tired of this car and all the time I spend on it. Anyway, as for my problem, Bruce Anderson says RS blinker fluid conversion kits from Andial will take care of the knock, but I will have to have a maschine shop drill out my windshield. Help.

Ahh the old Hazard Knock thing. I'll summarize, but doing a search on Hazards Knock and Polarity Drift of TIL will add to this. Note the latter is a link to a highly technical paper which is mostly in German.

Apparently the problem stems from inadequate maintenance. If the blinker fluid (TIL as we have been reminded) is not changed frequently, the polarity of the left and right fluids tends to drift towards non-polarization. While the fluid never goes completely non-polarized, i.e neither magnetically North (left side) or South (right side) the degree of magnetism diminishes. Often the result is that while the left and right blinkers function correctly, the Hazard lights cause an audible knocking sound. The theory - as best I understand it, is that the Hazards send pulses of both North and South current so as to fire both blinkers. Since the fluid has lost most of its "identity" (note I use this word as a rough translation of the German 'blinkenfergaftgaussenzwiepol" the blinkers try to fire on both the pulses left and right. The result is a clash which manifests itself with an audible clash.

So far so good? Now for the bad news, the knocking has fooked up the polarity of the blinkers, their housing and even metal portions of the hood. Your best solution is to part out the car. Sorry for the bad news!

Best,
Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

A little off topic but there's a set of Saratoga Blinkers on ebay right now for only $3200!

http://www.ebay.com/items/forsale/sa...kiddingme.html
Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcar944
A little off topic but there's a set of Saratoga Blinkers on ebay right now for only $3200!

http://www.ebay.com/items/forsale/sa...kiddingme.html
Link's broken.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wipeout
Link's broken.
Oops. Sorry.

www.ebay.de

Quick Reply: What Blinker Fluid to Use?