Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you still a timing belt virgin?
Yes, I only trust a professional to do timing belt work on my 944.
11.95%
No, I do all timing belt maintenance work on my 944
55.97%
Yes, but I hope to learn how with help from Rennlist.
32.08%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Are you still a timing belt virgin

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Are you still a timing belt virgin

Well, are you?

I'll be the first to admit I've always been too chicken to do a timing belt job on any of my 944s. Have a full set of Arnnworx tools sitting for over a year now and haven't mustered the courage to dig into this yet.

Hoping to change that in 2009!
Old 12-25-2008, 04:20 PM
AR10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only done 4 so far.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am, the belt was done a year before I bought the car so I haven't HAD to do it yet.

It doesn't scare me as much as it used to but it's still one of those "eh..." things.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:23 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

A member since June, 2001 and you haven't done a belt job yet? You are in a unique group Luis. It's a snap...no pun intended. Just use common sense and read everything you can from Clarks and the FSM. Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2008, 04:24 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

I'm scurred poop*less of it. I need to buy the tools but I am so confused about the tool. I can't seem to find the tool that is "600" dollars.

edited: MPAA made me remove the explitives for a better rating, the corporate guys thought it was a good idea too since we can now market to a broader audience.

Last edited by marcusw03; 12-25-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: removed explitives
Old 12-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
A member since June, 2001 and you haven't done a belt job yet? You are in a unique group Luis. It's a snap...no pun intended. Just use common sense and read everything you can from Clarks and the FSM. Merry Christmas
Thanks, and yes, this was meant to be something of a confession. It's worse than 2001, since I was previously active on the E-Mail lists since at least 1995 or so. In my defense, however, I've never had a proper garage or indoor place to work on my cars, which hasn't helped taking on this kind of job. Everything I do needs to be completed within the same day, or I risk people messing with the car in parts in the parking structure where I keep my cars.

I've replaced all 4 CV joints, installed M030 sway bars, removed front control arms and replaced ball joints, removed manual steering rack and replaced tie rods, replaced front wheel bearings, changed fuel filters, oil and filters, replaced the ISV, TPS, FPR and damper, brake pads, spark plugs, turbo cooling pump, etc., but the timing belt job is a task that has always made me stop and question my ability as an amateur mechanic. Maybe it's the fact that if I do it wrong, my engine will go kaput!

So, here's to more timing belt job DIY threads in 2009!
Old 12-25-2008, 05:04 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

ive only done like....fifteen or so... maybe more.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:14 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Luis-
I have to admit I'm a TB Virgin also (can I say that? )
It would be nice if one of these "pros" would do a step by step for us neophytes with pictures of course guys !

I'm going to do it on the 89 S2 that has 61K on it. I do not know it's service history so once I get it out I'll be breaking my cherry with it...OOPS!
Can you start us off by providing us a list of tools and a source if any of the are "special"?
Old 12-25-2008, 05:16 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
What's the FSM?
Old 12-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Factory Shop Manuals.

Let's see, for starters you'll need:

-Torque wrench
-Metric socket set
-Some ratchets
-Belt tension measuring tool (I have the 920X from Arnnworx)
-A flywheel locking tool
-A set of timing belt wrenches (again, mine are from Arnnworx)

and most important, a really good idea of what you're doing!
Old 12-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's harder than changing spark plugs lol, but changing a timing belt on a 944 is not hard (I have an NA). I think it's a bit more difficult on the 16v, I don't really know.

I've done it twice. The second time was like 3 months after replacing it because I had to reseal my oil pump so the belt had to come off again.

when I replaced the belts I took it really slow and it wasn't hard. Yes, I was nervous about screwing it up considering the big consequence of bending valves. Make sure you recheck everything a million times and makes sure everything lines up then turn the motor over with spark plugs out very slowly to make sure it's fine before firing it up.

I used the kricket for tension then brought it to a repair shop to get the tension checked.

One thing you should worry about and be prepared for is braking and stripping possibly all of the water pump bolts.

I broke one water pump bolt. then I had to take out my radiator to make room to drill it and then helicoil it. then I realized basicly all the water pump bolts were stripped and I had to helicoil them all so hopefully next time It will come out easily as the helicoils are steel not aluminum and wont' strip.

so I'd say the water pump might be a real bitch if it hasn't been replaced by you before and the bolts may all be frozen and corroded and thus strip very easily.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

but seriously timing belt replacement on a 944 is not considered difficult at all. 944s have so much room to work on. changing a belt on a new honda would be more difficult.

changing a clutch on a 944 scares me and is difficult but a timing belt is one of the easiest jobs you just have to be extra careful.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:24 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Factory Shop Manuals.

Let's see, for starters you'll need:

-Torque wrench
-Metric socket set
-Some ratchets
-Belt tension measuring tool (I have the 920X from Arnnworx)
-A flywheel locking tool
-A set of timing belt wrenches (again, mine are from Arnnworx)

and most important, a really good idea of what you're doing!
FSM...DUH ! Fortunately I have the complete set.
I just found the arnworx site. Very interesting. Am I correct in assuming that the 920X tool set works on the S2 Luis?
Does Sunset or some other source sell the internal parts that are needed in a kit?
Old 12-25-2008, 06:33 PM
El Commandante
Pro

I'm in the exact same boat as you Luis, i have EVERYTHING that i need to do it, just the waterpump, front seals, and rollers scare the SH$% out of me! I'm really thinking about just bringing it somewhere, i dont want the responsibility of a ruined head on my shoulders! If it was just the belts with no rollers or anything, i'd probably give it a shot
Old 12-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I didn't have luck using that arnnworx tool. I followed all the directions and it would give me a faulty readings (belt way too loose). I tried contacting Bruce on his website but I didn't get any replies. The other arnnworx tools were great but I'm not sure about his tensioning tool.

Quick Reply: Are you still a timing belt virgin