Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket 944 Control arms. Retail pricing seems a bit off...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Ok...So I am not understanding this.....there is a viable solution for a good price and yet people are wating for something to come out down the road that might or might not work with no pricing as of yet? Hmmm............I dont get it.How much cheaper you think it is going to get? ........

Ok .How about this:
$900 a set shipped for mild steel arms with upgraded pins?This price will not be beat by anyone who is going to use the same qaulity materials we are using.
you businessmen need a CPA to explain the simple things.

Tim, if i am reading correctly, you are offering a product better than what the factory offers, for less than the factory part.

Am I right so far?

So in dollars and "sense", if someone is either in need of new control arms, or wants to upgrade their arms, your product is the least expensive way to go, and offers the ability to lower the suspension without jeopardizing the ball joints, which would make it a better product for the track.

maybe i should have gone into advertising instead of accounting.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:50 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
you businessmen need a CPA to explain the simple things.

Tim, if i am reading correctly, you are offering a product better than what the factory offers, for less than the factory part.

Am I right so far?

So in dollars and "sense", if someone is either in need of new control arms, or wants to upgrade their arms, your product is the least expensive way to go, and offers the ability to lower the suspension without jeopardizing the ball joints, which would make it a better product for the track.

maybe i should have gone into advertising instead of accounting.

Yes.But they are still too expensive
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Yes.But they are still too expensive
Amen to that....

C.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Amen to that....

C.
And his is the reason behind Chads thread.

The other poster I replied to with a friend in the business is offering a possibly cheaper alternative to $900 per pair, albeit they are not a proven 944 parts manufacturer, they apparently have applications in race proven situations.

Why not see what he can offer us? It does not sound like a hacker welding up crap in his garage.

Just sayin' since we don't know his reputation, we shouldn't discount his skills either.

ps...where's Sharky been hiding? He was cooking up something along these lines, wasn't he?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Chad, have you considered converting to factory (early) steel A-arms? I'm not 100% sure of what's involved in the conversion to be honest, having late-offset front suspension with steel arms on my car in factory trim, but for $25 per arm, the spindles and other required parts can't be $800; at least if you find good used parts.

Sure they can crack and bend, but for $25 a piece, just replace them every year or two. And frankly, I'd rather bend a cheap *** VW Rabbit A-arm than bend a $450 aftermarket arm. Oh yeah, and ball joints are $14 a piece. So for less than $100 you could replace both A-arms and both ball joints every year.

Just my $.02
Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick

ps...where's Sharky been hiding? He was cooking up something along these lines, wasn't he?
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=27

Where is he hiding?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:59 AM
TurboTim
Banned

People have to realize that $500-600 even $700 a pair control arms will most likely be shoddily put together and mig welded or made in China or maybe even all three. $1050, let alone, $900 bucks for our arms, is a steal and I want to see someone else do it for that kind of price with our quality.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
And his is the reason behind Chads thread.

The other poster I replied to with a friend in the business is offering a possibly cheaper alternative to $900 per pair, albeit they are not a proven 944 parts manufacturer, they apparently have applications in race proven situations.

Why not see what he can offer us? It does not sound like a hacker welding up crap in his garage.

Just sayin' since we don't know his reputation, we shouldn't discount his skills either.

I think the price will be much lower than $900. The fabricator/welder (my brother in law) is extremely competent and skilled. And, I will be contributing design and stress analysis expertise (I'm a mechanical engineer).

One thing that these arms will not have is threads (heim joint) subjected to oscillating bending load (sway bar link applies transverse load to the control arm). That is just a bad idea, plain and simple. It's one thing to use them on a race car that has them swapped out every few races, and another to use them on a street or track car that they need to last indefinitely on. Here is some discussion about heim joints in bending: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/278...d-load-ratings
Old 12-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Query:
After someone here designs the control arm to end all control arm debates, and decides they can sell them for way less than whatever.....

How will they be sold? Will the seller become a site sponsor? Will the seller set up their own on line site, and how will the end user know how to go there without the seller becoming a site sponsor?

Then the question of how will the overhead of becoming say a site sponsor, or selling the product to a store that is a sponsor affect the super low price?

I hate it when the realist accountant in me sneaks out. it is like an evil twin that takes over my fingers on the keyboard.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Query:
After someone here designs the control arm to end all control arm debates, and decides they can sell them for way less than whatever.....

How will they be sold? Will the seller become a site sponsor? Will the seller set up their own on line site, and how will the end user know how to go there without the seller becoming a site sponsor?

Then the question of how will the overhead of becoming say a site sponsor, or selling the product to a store that is a sponsor affect the super low price?

I hate it when the realist accountant in me sneaks out. it is like an evil twin that takes over my fingers on the keyboard.
Good question. However, I personally am not too worried about it at this point. It's one of those bridges I will cross when I come to it. We're going to have some fun designing and building these, and if they turn out to be something that people are interested and we can sell them for a reasonable price, then we'll figure out those details. So don't get your panties in a bunch, bean counter!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Query:

Also, there's this online marketplace called eBay that might come in handy for selling them. I can make the decision on site sponsorship separately based on whether advertising on rennlist is going to help sell them. Or, who knows, maybe Travis will sell them for me on Rennbay since I plan on using his ball joint kits? Travis?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 153BigBlock
Maybe his new girlfriend is keeping him busy?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by vt951
Also, there's this online marketplace called eBay that might come in handy for selling them. I can make the decision on site sponsorship separately based on whether advertising on rennlist is going to help sell them. Or, who knows, maybe Travis will sell them for me on Rennbay since I plan on using his ball joint kits? Travis?
I am sure Travis will be happy to work on a 0% markup.

I am just glad to see you are entering this arena with your eyes wide open. Not intending to **** in your cornflakes but; you can sell them where you want, however, if you lead people to that online marketplace you call eBay via rennlist, you in effect are advertising here.

it may behoove you to take a peek at the charter and rules we all agreed to abide by. Then factor that into your computations when you determine the price point you want, and what your MSRP will be. Nobody starting a new venture wants stuff like this to sneak up and bite em in the ****.

Something tells me Tim has been down this road before, and when all is said and done you will not be able to reinvent the wheel. However, as the eternal cheapskate, I hope you can reinvent the wheel.

Bon apetit while i get this knot out of my undies.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by vt951
It's not unprecedented. Small scale "tuners" seem to do pretty well using Ebay. I'm still happy with my low-buck "Mookeh/MK" camber plates (4 months and two track days so far). Better yet, build the reputation and get them onto Paragon or Pelican.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I am sure Travis will be happy to work on a 0% markup.

I am just glad to see you are entering this arena with your eyes wide open. Not intending to **** in your cornflakes but; you can sell them where you want, however, if you lead people to that online marketplace you call eBay via rennlist, you in effect are advertising here.

it may behoove you to take a peek at the charter and rules we all agreed to abide by. Then factor that into your computations when you determine the price point you want, and what your MSRP will be. Nobody starting a new venture wants stuff like this to sneak up and bite em in the ****.

Something tells me Tim has been down this road before, and when all is said and done you will not be able to reinvent the wheel. However, as the eternal cheapskate, I hope you can reinvent the wheel.

Bon apetit while i get this knot out of my undies.
Who said anything about 0% markup?

Anyway, you do have a good point about the rennlist rules. I am definitely not trying to sneak around them. In fact, I don't even have any intentions of making money off of this "venture". I just happen to agree with the OP, and happen to have a very skilled brother in law who I think can produce a competitive part for a competitive price. This seems to be making some folks uncomfortable, but competition is a healthy thing. I would be just as happy if SFR decided to come out with the same product at the same price (still unknown) and save me the trouble.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket 944 Control arms. Retail pricing seems a bit off...