Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket 944 Control arms. Retail pricing seems a bit off...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Very nice. I'd love to learn the technical details. One question - is the ball joint serviceable?

C.
Yea, so would I, these are not pictures of my car.
My brother has been bugging me about building some aftermarket arms similar to what you are talking about. He is an ME who works at a machine shop and laughs at the cost of the arms on the market.

My stock M030 arms are in good shape, I rebuild the ball joints and upgraded the caster blocks to the 968 style when I purchased the car. I used SSI Performance brass bushings and new 17mm pins, stock length to rebuild the ball joints with, a good solution for street and moderate track duty.

The stock ball joints are held together using a washer which sit below the bushings of the ball joint. This washer is held in place using a cerclip which sits in a grove in the cast a-arm. Epoxy is then used to cover/seal the bottom of the joint and ensure the circlip does not come out.

It would be pretty straight forward to spec a spherical bearing for the a-arm socket and modify the washer below it to allow for the threaded connection between the pin and bearing. I would drill out the washer to allow for the bottom, threaded section, of the ball joint pin to stick through and use the same cerclip and epoxy around the perimeter to hold it in place. I would need to draw up/design a new pin and have it machined, but that wouldn't be difficult either. I'm planning a suspension/rear coilover upgrade for over the winter, maybe I will add this to the list.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We redesigned our arms awhile back.The pictures that were posted previously were old but I updated them on our website.The arms do not include the caster blocks.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
We redesigned our arms awhile back.The pictures that were posted previously were old but I updated them on our website.The arms do not include the caster blocks.
VERY NICE! Are the OE castor block bolt sizing compatible with these? Also, why the need for the filler plate between the arms? Just curious.

C.

Last edited by Chads996; 11-30-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mj951
Yea, so would I, these are not pictures of my car.
My brother has been bugging me about building some aftermarket arms similar to what you are talking about. He is an ME who works at a machine shop and laughs at the cost of the arms on the market.

My stock M030 arms are in good shape, I rebuild the ball joints and upgraded the caster blocks to the 968 style when I purchased the car. I used SSI Performance brass bushings and new 17mm pins, stock length to rebuild the ball joints with, a good solution for street and moderate track duty.

The stock ball joints are held together using a washer which sit below the bushings of the ball joint. This washer is held in place using a cerclip which sits in a grove in the cast a-arm. Epoxy is then used to cover/seal the bottom of the joint and ensure the circlip does not come out.

It would be pretty straight forward to spec a spherical bearing for the a-arm socket and modify the washer below it to allow for the threaded connection between the pin and bearing. I would drill out the washer to allow for the bottom, threaded section, of the ball joint pin to stick through and use the same cerclip and epoxy around the perimeter to hold it in place. I would need to draw up/design a new pin and have it machined, but that wouldn't be difficult either. I'm planning a suspension/rear coilover upgrade for over the winter, maybe I will add this to the list.
My concern about refurbing the OE arm is the aluminum. It is VERY soft and prone to damage. I think I am still in favor of the Chrome Moly arms. Durable and relatively lightweight.

C.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:23 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And you could get the mild steel arms for under $950 shipped, right now. I prefer the mild steel since it gves a little and doesnt crack like chrome-moly can in a big impact.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TurboTim
And you could get the mild steel arms for under $950 shipped, right now. I prefer the mild steel since it gves a little and doesnt crack like chrome-moly can in a big impact.
How big of an impact are we talking? I would think the wheel would bend at that point? (Note my edit above)...

C.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:10 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Tim, do you sell arms for both early & late offset??

why not just box weld some $25 steel arms? lol.
Because I have Turbo "S" brakes & susp for my 87 924S, and need the big pins. I have a very nice set of stainless steel boxed, seem welded arms, set up to use ball joints off a circle track car, but the pins are way to small
Old 11-30-2008, 04:40 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread a way way over due.
I have boxed steel arms on my car today. You don't the caster adjustment on the steel ones you can get on the others. Also, the steel ones use the early small ball joint, a potential weak point. I still like the steel ones over the AL ones though. Ball joints are like $10/ea and replacing them often is a breeze. However, $50 boxed steel arms with $10/ea ball joints versus $950+......
Old 11-30-2008, 04:40 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
My concern about refurbing the OE arm is the aluminum. It is VERY soft and prone to damage. I think I am still in favor of the Chrome Moly arms. Durable and relatively lightweight.

C.
No question, a steel arm will be stronger than the stock aluminum arms. The new ones at SPR look nice but I still feel the ball joint pin is a weak link. A pin with a notch rather than a full grove around the top would offer some added strength, these are available from a couple of sources at $120 each or going with something similar to the pics I posted with a collar offering added surface area.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mj951
No question, a steel arm will be stronger than the stock aluminum arms. The new ones at SPR look nice but I still feel the ball joint pin is a weak link. A pin with a notch rather than a full grove around the top would offer some added strength, these are available from a couple of sources at $120 each or going with something similar to the pics I posted with a collar offering added surface area.
You and I need to discuss this more. I agree with you about the Heim joint. That's why I like Lindsey's. What kills me is Lindsey's price. If they made it more reasonable like SFR, I'd be interested.

C.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:31 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like SFR arms are fairly reasonable. Anyone using them that can comment?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:44 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Dan (Sharky47) posted an interesting thread about fabricating some a while back: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=charlie+arms
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 AM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a set of the SFR control arms on my track 951. Been very happy with the setup on big tracks.

Bill
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the legal risk that will keep you up at night...bruce
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Its the legal risk that will keep you up at night...bruce
Hi Bruce...

Do we know each other? I lived and worked in STL for about 5 years while I worked at Boeing. I did a lot of work for you guys in the F/A-18 group. Ted Herman is a good friend of mine.

C.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket 944 Control arms. Retail pricing seems a bit off...