Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket 944 Control arms. Retail pricing seems a bit off...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is proof of what I am saying.One of our budies that owns AG Sandcars built this truck with the same heims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6I366X4jyE
Old 12-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
here is proof of what I am saying.One of our budies that owns AG Sandcars built this truck with the same heims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6I366X4jyE
First off....THAT WAS FREAKIN BAD ***!!!!

C.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:31 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim's got a good point....looks like quality stuff. IMO, everyone would like SFR quality with Walmart pricing....we 944 owners are notoriously thrifty.

Anyone else running SFR's street mild steel setups out there care to comment?

Does the SFR arms work with the 968 castor blocks then?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
Does the SFR arms work with the 968 castor blocks then?
'

Yes. Tim confirmed on the previous thread page.

C.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Tim,

SFR has a great reputation on here from what I've seen and heard. If your product really is superior, then it should command the price you are charging.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok .How about this:
$900 a set shipped for mild steel arms with upgraded pins?This price will not be beat by anyone who is going to use the same qaulity materials we are using.
If purchased today by 7pm can I apply the 10% black friday discount to that?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
TurboTim
Banned

We want to sell a qaulity product at a reasonable price.It doenst take a whole lot tomake the arms especially if we do a production run.We like people input too.I have gotten a few pms about the heims and using tha regular style ball jpoint with a cup and we can do it that way but it eliminates the camber adjustment.If people want them that way,then we could do it and probably shave a little off the price in the process.We need input.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian A.
If purchased today by 7pm can I apply the 10% black friday discount to that?

No.That price is already discounted.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Tim has stepped up to the plate with his offer. It's a great price from someone who has a solid history behind 944 products.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:44 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I think Tim has stepped up to the plate with his offer. It's a great price from someone who has a solid history behind 944 products.
+153BB
Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I agree 100% with Rich. Tim knows what he's doing. He's already done the R&D and has real world time on his products. Can't beat that. If you make one set and it fails, you're already over the price of his and out your time.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Ecos
Advanced

.The powder coating is $75 and the machining and welding is surely worth something.

Ok .How about this:
$900 a set shipped for mild steel arms with upgraded pins?This price will not be beat by anyone who is going to use the same qaulity materials we are using.
I'm not trying to critique your process or anything, they look like good parts, but are you really paying $75 for powder coating? That seems very high cost. The cost of the powder would be around $5 and it only takes a couple of minutes to spray em, and curing doesn't take long either.

$900 for a set sounds fair to me. $75 for powder coating? Not so much.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Ecos
I'm not trying to critique your process or anything, they look like good parts, but are you really paying $75 for powder coating? That seems very high cost. The cost of the powder would be around $5 and it only takes a couple of minutes to spray em, and curing doesn't take long either.

$900 for a set sounds fair to me. $75 for powder coating? Not so much.

Yes we are paying roughly $75 to have the arms coated.It might be a little less.That was just off the top of my head.Sure powder costs $5 but that doesnt count the baking in the oven,electricity,overhead of the powdercoating shop,etc.........

This is why so many companies these days are going out of business or trying to get the government to bail them out. They are not getting paid for the "real" costs involved in running a legitimate operation.To bad for them.We will not make that mistake.I want to give people fair prices but I am not going to run myself out of business doing it and I dont expect the shops we work with to do that either.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2BWise
If I had the tools and facilities I would have finally gotten to work on the list of parts I want to make. Some of which I have preliminary designs. On the list is control arms.

There are several questions I've got for those that do currently make them and maybe SFR is capable of answering.
- Why rod ends at the upright? Why not use sphericals? Easy to replace and more reliable (higher loading capability)
-Why use pins? Wouldn't it be as easy to thread the upright and use a 19mm bolt. Makes removable much easier
Threading the upright and using a 19mm bolt makes for a significantly weaker joint than using a straight pin.

Threads in bending is poor design practice. Threads carry with them a stress concentration factor of over 3 ... a straight pin has a stress concentration factor of 1.

Tim has certainly stepped up to the plate here and it would be silly to not buy his if in the market for an affordable a-arm.

What is easier to replace than a threaded rod end? I don't get it. If it works, why would you want to deal with pressing in/out a spherical bearing? You can loosen a jam nut and replace the rod end (or heim joint, whatever you want to call it) in 5 minutes with it still installed on the car. Count your threads and you should have minimal alignment changes needed.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 PM
TurboTim
Banned

But we can do these arms with a conventional spherical bearing if people really want arms like this.We dont care,honestly.We just want to make money and have a good product. If there were enough people interested, I would build a new prototype set for you guys to check out.We did the arms with the heims to allow people maximum adjustablitiy of their suspension set-up.

Tim

Quick Reply: Aftermarket 944 Control arms. Retail pricing seems a bit off...