Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket 944 Control arms. Retail pricing seems a bit off...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:57 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chads996
already there my friend. Please keep up.

This is version 1. I can post this one, as I am working with a Motorsports designer. We are already up to version 3.

C.
I thought these were going to be able to use the stock caster blocks? In that case the bushing for the rear mounting point is within the mount itself, and there is no need for that bushing back there. It justs need to be able to accept the stock eccentric stud that goes through there. I am unsure of the allowances on that hole on a new stock arm with a new stud, though.

Looks nice otherwise! Keep up the good work.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
I thought these were going to be able to use the stock caster blocks? In that case the bushing for the rear mounting point is within the mount itself, and there is no need for that bushing back there. It justs need to be able to accept the stock eccentric stud that goes through there. I am unsure of the allowances on that hole on a new stock arm with a new stud, though.

Looks nice otherwise! Keep up the good work.
Thank you....as I mentioned (before you yo-yo's go nutty) this is version 1. We are well past version 3. MUCH has changed since the 1st version.

The following criteria forms our direction:

1. Retain the use of OE and existing aftermarket rubber, delrin, and monoball bushings.
2. Retain the existing OE sway bar mounting position as many performance drivers use the OE 968 sway bars.
3. Retain the use of the early spherical bearings/pins (or comparable), allowing for removal & replacement of worn out joints.
3. Provide a low cost, durable alternative to present OE and aftermarket control arms.

C.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

[shameless plug for company I work for]

when you get it all done with machining etc I can run by our metalurgists/boss's and see what they would suggest as far as treating goes so it's proper/strong

hell I could just ask them for the hell of it to see what material they would recomend, if you would like me to

we treat all kinds of things here, from machined parts, to aerospace, to bearings that we 944 guys use (yes, SKF/*** bearings)
Old 12-06-2008, 10:45 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

will there be early and late versions?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good Chad!

Does the early arm ever suffer the same ball joint breakage issue of the Al arms? Does your new design allow for lowered cars?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bgiere
will there be early and late versions?
Trying to offer that. We need a set of crappy early offset arms for dimensions. At the moment, late offset is what we have.

Originally Posted by Riff
Does the early arm ever suffer the same ball joint breakage issue of the Al arms? Does your new design allow for lowered cars?
All ball joints fail over a period of time. From my understanding, the early steel arms bend. So I am not aware of major spherical failures. However, as I mentioned...I would like to find a comparable solution that is as cheap and replaceable as the OE joint.

As we learn more...more is to come.

I am working to turn over the sketch to a Motorsports fabrication group. they will take on the testing and final material specifications.

Chad
Old 12-06-2008, 02:10 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Trying to offer that. We need a set of crappy early offset arms for dimensions. At the moment, late offset is what we have.

All ball joints fail over a period of time. From my understanding, the early steel arms bend. So I am not aware of major spherical failures. However, as I mentioned...I would like to find a comparable solution that is as cheap and replaceable as the OE joint.

As we learn more...more is to come.

I am working to turn over the sketch to a Motorsports fabrication group. they will take on the testing and final material specifications.

Chad
I have a set of early ones!!!!!! Will there be a set that will work with 952 spindles???
Old 12-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by racerbvd
I have a set of early ones!!!!!! Will there be a set that will work with 952 spindles???
One thing at a time. Let's solve the problem 1st.

If you have early ones and you want to send the for free. Cool. I am not buying a set for specs.

C.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:11 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Vertex sell a new steel arm part #171407153D for $26 and the ball joint #171407365G for $17. It's not that much to invest in your venture is it? Consider that you will be sure these are straight and their dimensions are repeatable. One are fits both sides. Yes I'm also interested in your final product. Good luck
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
They break and need to be replaced every year on a race car, just like the steel arms. Now, they avoid an expensive custom heim set-up whch is nice, but....maybe there is a better ball joint available from another application that could be used.
Chad,

This looks like a good concept; thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you are concerned at all about the early ball joint failure problems mentioned by North Coast Cab. I don't know how valid that concern is; hopefully some guys with early steel arms will chime in about ball joint failure modes, or North Coast Cab will reply with some more details.

Also, is that sway bar mount located in the correct position (fore/aft) for the oem sway bars to be used?

Are you planning to do any analysis on the design?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Chad
All the aftermarkert arms have replaceable ball joints as you know, but what most people don't know is that, for instance, Fabcar says you must change your ball joints IIRC every 30 hours of track use. We have broken 2 19mm ball joints at the track, so even those high dollar ball joints fail. IIRC, the replacements are about $150 for fabcars (pin and bearing). So depending on how many track events you hit a year, you are probably looking at $300 in ball joints every couple of years in the other aftermarket arms. A cheaper alternative would be nice

Anyway, that's my input for the day. The design is looking good. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
All the aftermarkert arms have replaceable ball joints as you know, but what most people don't know is that, for instance, Fabcar says you must change your ball joints IIRC every 30 hours of track use. We have broken 2 19mm ball joints at the track, so even those high dollar ball joints fail. IIRC, the replacements are about $150 for fabcars (pin and bearing). So depending on how many track events you hit a year, you are probably looking at $300 in ball joints every couple of years in the other aftermarket arms. A cheaper alternative would be nice

Anyway, that's my input for the day. The design is looking good. Good luck!

Is there a 19mm pin alternative for the early style ball joints? I know rennbay offers a 19mm rebuild kit for the late style arms (also requires opening up the hole in the spindle from 17mm to 19mm, of course).

What I'm getting at is this would be a limitation of Chad's proposed design, whereas if it were designed to use the late style ball joints, a racer could choose to use the rennbay 19mm kit. Yes, they can fail as well, but 19 > 17, so it will fail less often.

Chad, don't take offense. I like your design; just a little devil's advocate coming out.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by vt951
Is there a 19mm pin alternative for the early style ball joints? I know rennbay offers a 19mm rebuild kit for the late style arms (also requires opening up the hole in the spindle from 17mm to 19mm, of course).

What I'm getting at is this would be a limitation of Chad's proposed design, whereas if it were designed to use the late style ball joints, a racer could choose to use the rennbay 19mm kit. Yes, they can fail as well, but 19 > 17, so it will fail less often.

Chad, don't take offense. I like your design; just a little devil's advocate coming out.
I don't know if there is or not. The nice thing about a 17mm pin, is if you have a spindle problem at the track and need to swap one out, you don't have to go looking for a spindle already bored to 19mm, or find some place to bore it for you (which I have found to be damn near impossible in the past, as shops don't want to cut that out larger, due to the slot in there). With a 17mm pin, just slap it on and go. There is the argument that the 19mm hole weakens the spindle mount, but I have never seen a failure there, it is always in the ball joint pin (sheering). I don't see anything wrong with a 17mm pin, especially if it is so cheap to replace (making it annual, or bi annual maintenance)
Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chad,

I have a set of early offset aluminum arms that are junk if you need them for specs. Cover the shipping and I'll send em out!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the 44 first came into the US Fred Baker ran it a lot, including in the 24 hours of Nelson and they had ball joint failures. Yes those ball joints are cheap and should be replaced every year, but spending $1000 on a set of arms with $10 BJ's and a potential to fail isn't ideal in my mind. I run reinforced steel arms and these ball joints myslef, but the whole set-up is $100. I want a better alternative, but I'm not convinced the early ball joint should be a part of it.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket 944 Control arms. Retail pricing seems a bit off...