Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car died on me while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Kburke
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok but do I pull out the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator when the car is on or not?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Why not try both?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

I was looking for info on a no start problem on my S2 ( turned out to be DME relay, spark, no fuel pump ) but came across a thread where it was a short in the cap of the fuel injector that was killing the DME. If he has narrowed it down to a given injector, remove it and carefully remove or cut the cap off it. You may find a ton of corrosion hidden there.

Wait a sec..... Got it.

A "must read" for "engine cuting out" and "no-start" issues...
And
Check your injector wires !

Last edited by N_Halbert; 11-05-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Mrmerlin
Team Owner

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,365 Posts

to test the damper or FPR with the engine OFF remove the vacuum line and see if fuel drips out, if you see/smell fuel the part is failing and extra fuel is being sucked into the intake.
Next attach a mity vac to the damper and see if it holds vacuum, same for the FPR.
If both of these check out then i would set the engine to TDC and check the timing also remove the distributor cap and check for damagd rotor or cracked cap and check the igniton wires

Last edited by Mrmerlin; 11-05-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin
to test the damper or FPR with the engine OFF remove the vacuum line and see if fuel drips out, if you see/smell fuel the part is failing and extra fuel is being sucked into the intake.
Next attach a mity vac to the damper and see if it holds vacuum, same for the FPR.
If both of these check out then i would set the engine to TDC and check the timing also remove the distributor cap and check for damagd rotor or cracked cap and check the igniton wires
I know the wires are good, the distributor cap is new, and the rotor I tried to replace and the screw stripped on me so that could be going bad. I will double check. As far as checking timing goes that is to tricky for me. checking the FPR is a good step for right now.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the description it is the FPR. If it fails the fuel pressure is too high, the injectors draw too much current and can't fire.
Pull the vacuum line, most likely fuel will pour out. If you can check the fuel pressure, great, but the fact that unplugging one injector lets it run means you can be 90+% sure this is it.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by Zero10
From the description it is the FPR. If it fails the fuel pressure is too high, the injectors draw too much current and can't fire.
Pull the vacuum line, most likely fuel will pour out. If you can check the fuel pressure, great, but the fact that unplugging one injector lets it run means you can be 90+% sure this is it.
all hail everyone who helped me out I will keep the updates coming.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by Zero10
I pulled the vacuum hose and on both no gas pouring out and no gas smell. now what?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kburke
I pulled the vacuum hose and on both no gas pouring out and no gas smell. now what?
If I recall, when I had a bad FPR, I too, pulled the vac line and no fuel poured out. The true indicator of the FPR failure is the change in conditions with one injector pulled.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Well the FPR could still be bad or you might have a stuck injector... or You could also have a temp sensor problem. That is, if it's really running rich when all four injectors are hooked up.

Is it really running rich (eye-watering gas smell and wet or black plugs) at idle or is it just running badly? Have you tried pulling all the injectors in turn to see if it acts the same? Checked the plugs? Rechecked the distributor rotor, cap, etc? You said you stripped a screw in there?

Check all the basics.
-Joel.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Well the FPR could still be bad or you might have a stuck injector... or You could also have a temp sensor problem. That is, if it's really running rich when all four injectors are hooked up.

Is it really running rich (eye-watering gas smell and wet or black plugs) at idle or is it just running badly? Have you tried pulling all the injectors in turn to see if it acts the same? Checked the plugs? Rechecked the distributor rotor, cap, etc? You said you stripped a screw in there?

Check all the basics.
-Joel.
ok and yes each injector is pulled an it will only start with one injector pulled. the wires are fine i have not checked the rotor but cap is brand new i will check the rotor the rotor screw was stripped and I am debating on how to take it off either with a hammer or a chisel or saw. anyways the screw is tight in there its not going anywhere I hope it is the FPR since I just bought one. I will keep the updates coming and i will recheck everything.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know when you swap out the FPR. You will be smiling.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Kburke
Racer

I guess beer is on me.

the car is up and running. now i get to put my new interior in, thermostat, ac compressor, fuel filter, oil change. And then wait for something else to break.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Mrmerlin
Team Owner

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,365 Posts

would you care to let us know exactly what you did to fix things?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Kburke
Racer

first things first new DME then new fuse for the fuel pump. now not in order we checked the injectors and and all good connections. test fuel pump, and asked everybody on rennlist for help. my j boot going from the AFM to the throttle plate was cracked i got a new one. We did not have a fuel pressure gauge so we sprayed it into a cup to make sure the was pressure just not how much. If we did have one we would be able to have figured out that it was the FPR earlier. we unplugged one injector and it started up no gas from the FPR was spilling out though. but i bought a new one anyways. i was going off of petes word and clarks. if i remember anything else i will post it

Quick Reply: car died on me while driving