Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car died on me while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be a stack of other things. Your mechanic doesn't know 944's at all and its time for somebody else to look at this.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:59 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kburke
what else can it be? The injectors tested fine!
I will be driving my 88 to DC from Richmond tomorrow morning, give me a call at (804) 248-1712 if you need help, I can stop by on my way back down...Not a whole lot of 944 knowledge, but I might be persuaded to bring along my factory service manual set, and my tool box.....my AFM works fine, we could swap to see if it is your problem.... My money is on bad reference sensor, plug wires, or cracked hose in the system somewhere.... Call me, I love working on my car, someone else's just makes it that much more fun....
Old 11-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Well it could be a bad AFM but that would not make it run on three cylinders. If indeed the injectors were tested, which I kinda doubt, and one of them is cutting out sometimes it has to be the injector harness wiring or the Speed/Ref sensors, or the wiring related to them (combined with some bad luck that makes the fault appear only when one particular injector is firing.)

If it's just running badly, running pig rich, it's probably something like the FPR or damper that is leaking and that is easy enough to diagnose.

I personally would forget everything you learned from this mechanic and start over. The DME relay is a very common failure and replacing it seems to have gotten you running so my first guess would be the mechanic goofed something up before replacing the DME relay (or afterwards because he has a boat payment to make.)

-Joel.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

yeah tak about coincidences , you happen to have your dme relay and something else go bad at the same time ? NOT

it all depends too how he tested the injectors. if you are in doubt swap the injector with another cylider and see if the problem follows. Easy troubleshooting step. Go from there.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Ashburn. I have a AFM we can use to test yours before you go out and buy one. Send me a PM and I can help you get it running.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Kburke
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah tak about coincidences , you happen to have your dme relay and something else go bad at the same time ? NOT

it all depends too how he tested the injectors. if you are in doubt swap the injector with another cylider and see if the problem follows. Easy troubleshooting step. Go from there.
Ok first things first I should have mentioned I work at firestone comeplete auto care I had my master tech look at it. I also did replace the fuel pump relay.

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Well it could be a bad AFM but that would not make it run on three cylinders. If indeed the injectors were tested, which I kinda doubt, and one of them is cutting out sometimes it has to be the injector harness wiring or the Speed/Ref sensors, or the wiring related to them (combined with some bad luck that makes the fault appear only when one particular injector is firing.)

If it's just running badly, running pig rich, it's probably something like the FPR or damper that is leaking and that is easy enough to diagnose.

"how would I diagnose this"

I personally would forget everything you learned from this mechanic and start over. The DME relay is a very common failure and replacing it seems to have gotten you running so my first guess would be the mechanic goofed something up before replacing the DME relay (or afterwards because he has a boat payment to make.)

-Joel.
Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I will be driving my 88 to DC from Richmond tomorrow morning, give me a call at (804) 248-1712 if you need help, I can stop by on my way back down...Not a whole lot of 944 knowledge, but I might be persuaded to bring along my factory service manual set, and my tool box.....my AFM works fine, we could swap to see if it is your problem.... My money is on bad reference sensor, plug wires, or cracked hose in the system somewhere.... Call me, I love working on my car, someone else's just makes it that much more fun....
I will call you

Originally Posted by Rock
I live in Ashburn. I have a AFM we can use to test yours before you go out and buy one. Send me a PM and I can help you get it running.
Pm will be sent
Old 11-03-2008, 04:07 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Still sounds like the FPR..
If it runs horribly rough, and rich when cold. Try this. Pull an injector wire and see if the idle smoothes out. That would confirm the FPR.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by PeteL
Still sounds like the FPR..
If it runs horribly rough, and rich when cold. Try this. Pull an injector wire and see if the idle smoothes out. That would confirm the FPR.
Ok i am looking in to that and also new reference sensor harness!

do i pull the injector wire from any injector or just the one that is cutting off randomly? If i pull the injector wire and the idle smooths out, can this also be a bad reference sensor.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Kburke
Racer

-Joel.
Where do i find the injector harness? All i can seem to find is reference sensor harness.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Kburke
Racer

Thanks once again for everyones opinion.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kburke
Ok i am looking in to that and also new reference sensor harness!

do i pull the injector wire from any injector or just the one that is cutting off randomly? If i pull the injector wire and the idle smooths out, can this also be a bad reference sensor.
I believe we just pulled a random injector.
A bad ref sensor will not let the car start. It really has nothing to do with the idle, as far as I know.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by PeteL
I believe we just pulled a random injector.
A bad ref sensor will not let the car start. It really has nothing to do with the idle, as far as I know.
ok new update i misunderstood him! it only runs when on three cylinders. if all injectors are plugged in then it will barely start. if any injector is pulled out then it will start but run S****Y! it almost reminds me of a misfire i had earlier. the car feels like its puttering. So i guess this is a bad FPR or damper which one should i get? please respond ASAP
Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Pull the vacuum lines to the FPR and damper, if fuel pours out of one of the vacuum ports, that part is bad.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Kburke
Racer

Pull the vacuum lines to the FPR and damper, if fuel pours out of one of the vacuum ports, that part is bad.
while it is running? both at the same time?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The damper doesn't regulate much fuel at all. It actually just dampens vibrations from the fuel rail.

For what its worth, I dont have a damper on my 951. Id replace the fuel pressure regulator

Quick Reply: car died on me while driving