Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Messed up Fuel lines? Braided Fuel lines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 07:28 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am ordering 6 feet of hose I just assumed I could cut it to length myself. I will be changing to an adjustable FPR (which conetions are reversed on) and figured on a little more for the little hose. I measured to need about 5 feet then added an extra foot to play it safe. I have to use clamps by the shock tower and on the regulator but I plan on useing the fancy looking ones.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:08 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
those fancy ones are tempting me, red....?
Old 06-07-2002, 09:20 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

checking my sig....
Old 06-07-2002, 11:08 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

I am going with the red to make it look more like the ones I will have that thread on. I went to my local home centers to try to find what thread size this is. It is a 16mm but all they had was a 2mm thread size and that wasn't right. I have another place I can check tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2002, 01:28 AM
txhedg
Racer

Arrow

Just a warning, all SS braided hose is NOT alike. I bought several different hoses from different vendors, and I found the stuff from Paragon Performance to be excellent quality, and competitive (or lower) in price with other places for the same stuff. In many cases, the cheaper priced hose may be inferior quality. I bought some from Jegs at half the paragon price, and the quality was noticeably worse. IMHO, these lines are too important safety-wise to go with low quality.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:22 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

well,
I am thankful for those recall campaigns. I am getting a new control arm on the right. too bad I rebuilt the left on my own dime. Nothing like free $700 parts! You turbo S/M030 option guys may want to look into this and call pcna.

Tom, any more developments on this fuel line stuff??

Jason
Old 06-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Um, why don't you all just use Goodridge metric hose and hose ends. You will wind up with a better and better looking product in the end. Goodridge has a web site, but it has been under construction (redesign) for a while.

<a href="http://www.goodridge.net/" target="_blank">Goodridge Hose</a>

You can also get metric hose fitting from BAT Inc.

<a href="http://www.batinc.net/" target="_blank">British American Transfer</a>

And you can order thread pitch gauges from Griot's Garage. I think the threads on the damper are 16x1.5.

Also, remember braided hose is not very flexible, so you will need extra length as someone suggested. And as Txhedg points out, all braided hose is not alike, but not just from vendor to vendor. I think Earl's for example offers over a half dozen different hose types. The best they make isn't even stainless braid covered, but rather fiber covered and is called Ruff-Stuff. It has like a 1500 PSI burst strength, but I am not sure you should use hose clamps on it. And don't twist the stuff or the inner hose may collapse or worse the fitting may spin off.

Also check Truechoice for hose and other high performance items

<a href="http://www.truechoice.com/" target="_blank">Truechoice</a>

No affiliation with any of the above vendors by the way.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:41 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

the problem is that threaded hose fittings will not work on the majority of the fittings in there. how can you put a threaded end on the old crimp connections? Only one of the fittings is threaded, have you gotten around this with the products mentioned? thanks

Jason
Old 06-11-2002, 06:16 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Jason,

AN sized threaded fitting will not work. Metric size fitting will. All of the connections on the damper are threaded, the biggest is like M16 x 1.5 and the regulator will either be threaded or have a barbed nipple. If it is threaded, get the correct metric hose end, if it is a nipple, use a hose clamp like the stock connect.

And the connection to the hard lines can either be via hose clamps or with fittings. If I recall, you will need the appropriate straight hose end (either AN or metric), a male to male union (plumbing, not Fire Island) and the correct size flare nut and sleeve.

Remember that every hose and fitting on our cars is metric. And remember that most of the stainless braid covered hoses and fittings out there are AN (also called dash sizes, such as -4, -6, etc.). AN fittings will not fit and the hoses will not be exactly right, though close enough for gov't work. My problem with using hose clamps is they look shyte and not very professional. Use metric hose ends and braid covered hose, like the stuff from Goodridge, and you have it licked.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:30 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info Manning! I guess I am going to have some extra clamps if I can get these thread on fittings. I ordered the <a href="http://www.bakerprecision.com/earls1.htm" target="_blank">Aeroquip</a> hose it sounds like it is good quality the way they talk it up on that site.

Quick Reply: Messed up Fuel lines? Braided Fuel lines?