Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of 928s

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 PM
wrightbenz
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

It's really not a question of means. I could go out and buy a new BMW if I wanted but I just don't feel that it suits me. I am not in this to impress people I just like to drive my cars. I also like the project side of it most of the time.
I have purchased many cars guys, I know my posts may sound a little nieve but this is not some piece of junk. it is a car that has been neglected for a year or so but has records from the day it was purchased.
With a good detail and cleaning it will look great. My only concern is with the poor running condition as I am not familiar with the 928s and That's why I am here right.

I posted here to get a comparison between the 944 and the 928 because I am not sure that I will like the 928.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I think, as many others do, that you would need to drive one.

But there is a caveat - you MUST drive a very very good one, so you know it for REAL, not a tired one that rides wollowy and is down on power.

There are a few people in IL and WI that may be able to arrange such a ride (possible drive) for you.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cut the BS and post some specs and pictures or you are really wasting yours and our time so we can give you specific answers to the specific car. Also what are you willing to do to fix it up and what are your capabilities? Some of us have rebuilt 928s and 944s from the ground up and a $4k running driving straight S4 is a great deal. If its a stick and not beat to hell, I would buy it right now.

No offense to you Andrew Olsen but some of us 944 guys know more about the 928 than most 928 guys.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:47 AM
Andre Hedrick
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Hunh, for some reason, 11 mpg came to mind. I must have been thinking of something else - might have been an old 928 for sale ad that I looked at a while back.

Just for kicks, I checked the EPA website for an '89 S4 and it showed 20 mpg hwy (and was subject to the gas guzzler tax back then)

Yeah, I know, who buys a porsche for the gas mileage?

I actually like the 928 styling except for those headlights.
My OB got at max 13 when behaving, but after stuffing in an 88s4 gearbox she gets 13 when behaving baddly and 17+ if I keep it under control. Mind the fact she is heavy and almost 200K on the motor.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 AM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
No offense to you Andrew Olsen but some of us 944 guys know more about the 928 than most 928 guys.
No offense taken. You're right.

It just seems like this guy asked a questions, didn't like the answer, so he's shopping for the right answer. If he wants the damn thing, then just buy it already!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:19 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Cut the BS and post some specs and pictures or you are really wasting yours and our time so we can give you specific answers to the specific car. Also what are you willing to do to fix it up and what are your capabilities? Some of us have rebuilt 928s and 944s from the ground up and a $4k running driving straight S4 is a great deal. If its a stick and not beat to hell, I would buy it right now.
The thread-starter needs to post up some pics, and an address. And give me a 6 hour head start.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
The thread-starter needs to post up some pics, and an address. And give me a 6 hour head start.
I'm closer!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM
wrightbenz
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

It just seems like this guy asked a questions, didn't like the answer, so he's shopping for the right answer
There has been some indecision on my part so I guess I deserve that. I left a deposit on the car and plan to pick it up soon so I will keep everyone posted. Thanks For the help
Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Po924S
For some reason everytime I see you post a reply in some threads, you always seem to be bashing on the 924/S. I don't care or anything, just wanted to know if you have some wierd hatred for 924's? Lol.
Originally Posted by Yummybud924
lol. well the 924S isn't really a 924 it's a 944 with a 924 body.

I used to own an old school 924 with the audi motor and I ended up hating it and sold it and got a 944 which is a much better car.
Come on Yummybud924, you might as well tell the whole story.

Yummybud924 used to post as Timstar (and Timstar92404, and various iterations) over on 924board.org. He is an absolute legend over there, his name is still taken in vain by the regular members.

He was a young kid who bought a 924 because it said "Porsche" on the front and expected it to keep pace with a new Lambo. He bought a very worn-out example for too much money. He then proceeded to make it worse using his ham-fisted mechanical skills and lack of funds. All the while, he would post non-stop questions on the board, repeat questions until he got the answer he wanted (usually from himself), ignore members advice, insult the 924 and blame his issues on the design, insist it wasn't a real Porsche, and so on.

He was hands down the most aggravating member I have seen there in 6 years. He was so insulting to the 924 it was shocking. I mean seriously, he was on a 924 enthusiast board, you'd think he would understand that we were all fans there and would take offense. Still, he belittled the 924 during his stay there and still expected the members to give him advice and guidance. Not a class act at all.

Even now, years after his departure from our quiet little message board, when a new member arrives with similar posting traits, someone will always say, "Is this another Timstar?".
Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

When you break it down, the word "Infamous" is just "famous" with two letters added to the front of it.
I guess if some people don't have the skill, talent, brains, or physique to be famous, they can always choose to be infamous.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:13 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Try me.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chrenan
Come on Yummybud924, you might as well tell the whole story.

Yummybud924 used to post as Timstar (and Timstar92404, and various iterations) over on 924board.org. He is an absolute legend over there, his name is still taken in vain by the regular members.

He was a young kid who bought a 924 because it said "Porsche" on the front and expected it to keep pace with a new Lambo. He bought a very worn-out example for too much money. He then proceeded to make it worse using his ham-fisted mechanical skills and lack of funds. All the while, he would post non-stop questions on the board, repeat questions until he got the answer he wanted (usually from himself), ignore members advice, insult the 924 and blame his issues on the design, insist it wasn't a real Porsche, and so on.

He was hands down the most aggravating member I have seen there in 6 years. He was so insulting to the 924 it was shocking. I mean seriously, he was on a 924 enthusiast board, you'd think he would understand that we were all fans there and would take offense. Still, he belittled the 924 during his stay there and still expected the members to give him advice and guidance. Not a class act at all.

Even now, years after his departure from our quiet little message board, when a new member arrives with similar posting traits, someone will always say, "Is this another Timstar?".

That made my day. I'm surprised the 924.board didn't kick him off, lol.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tifo, nice to see you back among us. Surely there are some infamous names that comes to mind when it comes to rennlist who fits your definition of lacking skill, talent, brains, or physique to be famous. Heck I know some who qualify with more than 1 of the characteristics mentioned.

I would love a 5 speed 928. I was on a road trip to pick up an 87 5 speed 928 in 1992 for a friend and that car cost $30k back then so we had a nice drive back from El Paso to S. Ca crusing at 150mph half throttle with the passenger sleeping. He still has the car and I don't think he would ever sell it.

Bashers are insecure. The more they bash and agitate, the more of the insecurity comes out. They need to bash others to "elevate" themselves.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Bashers are insecure. The more they bash and agitate, the more of the insecurity comes out. They need to bash others to "elevate" themselves.
Your motorcycle is stupid...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chrenan

While this is interesting to know, I'm not sure you should have said it.

People do grow up, you know, and we all have some behaviour in our past we'd rather forget. If he is still a waste of oxygen, I'm sure we'd have figured it out on our own soon enough.

Not that I can blame you too much; one does not like to see aggravations repeat themselves.

Quick Reply: What do you think of 928s