Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of 928s

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '89 928 S4 and an '87 944 n/a. I love them both.

I make a weekly business trip of 175 miles each way. Making that trip in the 944 is more comfortable than most other cars I've driven or ridden. The 928 is an order of magnitude more comfortable than the 944. The 944 travels at and above "highway speeds" without a lot of fanfare. If (for some unimaginable reason) you need to accelerate from 80 to 100+ in a hurry, it requires a little commotion and takes some time in the 944. In the 928 you're already going 110 without even realizing it. I get 24mpg in the 944. But I think I'm running a little rich and could probably do better. I get 19 - 20 in the 928, and can do better when I make a conscious effort to run no more than 10 mph above the posted speed limit, and avoid any sudden acceleration. But that's probably not going to happen.

They are both well designed and engineered cars in my opinion. The 944 has a few/some/many irritatingly cheap pieces. But you have to remember that it's 20 year old plastic that's become brittle and breaks, and nobody probably expected you or I to still be driving these things today. I haven't discovered anything on the 928 that feels, looks, sounds, or smells cheap.

The 928 is a bit more complicated, especially the electronics. When something goes wrong electrically, you can spend a lot of time trying to figure it out if you're not familiar with the design. It is an expensive car to fix especially if your mode of repair is to replace parts until you find the one(s) that fix the problem. And if you want to do a better job at diagnosing problems, you will probably end up spending a bit of money on a diagnostic tester.

Both cars command very little respect among the general Porsche or sports car enthusiast crowd these days, and so I think it is generally a good time to buy them up. If you don't know 928s, get a ride from somebody who has one that runs the way it should. A poorly running 928 can still seem to be a pretty powerful car if you don't know the difference. But if the car runs, survives a leak down test, and isn't totally trashed on the interior, I say you don't have too much to lose at around $5K.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 PM
wrightbenz
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks For the excellent post ekeeton, that is exactly what I was looking for. A very good comparison.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:48 PM
wrightbenz
Instructor

Why would major engine problems be suspect at such low mileage, 80K. Keep in mind that this car is sitting in her driveway and I really have no way to take it in for a PPI. I could do a compression test myself but a leak down would be difficult under the circumstances. Is there some common problem that I am not aware of with these motors.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Again, post specs, year, auto/manual etc. S4 are interference engines and have a hydraulic belt tensioner. Make sure the belts were done because I would hate it if it snaps. The mercedes auto tranny in the 928s do fail if it has leaks and level not properly maintained. Check the power steering rack for leaks. If it has the heated memory seats, they can be costly to replace/repair and the schematics for just the seats is about as thick as the rest of the car combined. Check window switches as they have contact problems.

I am sure I am missing some things that the 928 guys on the other board will be able to tell you.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 PM
TroppoShark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both a 1984 Euro 928 S2, automatic, and a 1981 Euro 924 Turbo, Series 2.

I love them both, and switch between cars for the difference each offers.

In the Shark I never feel like I'm in a hurry, and yet am frequently surprised at how fast I'm going, and have to slow down because it didn't seem that fast... Driving feels effortless in it, and even at 200kph it is still planted on the road and firm. For its weight, the Shark is surprisingly agile, whilst always being rock-steady. It's a car that inspires confidence, and will test the driver's limits well before its limits are tested... Kick it down and it just screams away, and away, accelerating continuously...

I spend very little on maintenance, but attend to anything that needs doing promptly, so that it is always sweet and unstressed. Preventative care is a big part of this, so for example, recently I've replaced all the water hoses. It didn't cost much, but I knew that their time was due. Why wait for a problem to develop with such things?

I once drove my Shark from Cairns, Queensland, to Hobart, Tasmania, crossing the continent from tropical north to mid-latitude south, over four days. Sublime, trouble-free motoring. One of the great drives of my life.

For a short while I had a 1985 Euro 928 5-speed, and in comparison, it was always like holding on to the reins of an angry beast. I rarely got out of 2nd or 3rd gear. I like the way that the auto smooths out that V8, which is why the great preponderance of these Sharks are Auto.

I love driving the 931 (924 Turbo) as well. Totally different feel, like it's up on its toes all the time, wanting to sprint. Nimble. Quick.

And keep it in the right gear, and and you'll be wondering just what 'turbo lag' means. Effortless.

I prefer the leaner look of the 924 over the 944. I think the 931 is the most under-rated Porsche, and scarce enough that it may well rise dramatically in value in the future. This is the second one that I've had: the one in my signature I gave to my good woman after sorting it; and am currently detailing my latest acquisition.

They're all good cars, with a spectrum that appeals to a wide range of drivers.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2008, 12:44 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
Originally Posted by chrenan
Yummybud924 used to post as Timstar (and Timstar92404, and various iterations) over on 924board.org. He is an absolute legend over there, his name is still taken in vain by the regular members.

Even now, years after his departure from our quiet little message board, when a new member arrives with similar posting traits, someone will always say, "Is this another Timstar?".
While this is interesting to know, I'm not sure you should have said it.

People do grow up, you know, and we all have some behaviour in our past we'd rather forget. If he is still a waste of oxygen, I'm sure we'd have figured it out on our own soon enough.

Not that I can blame you too much; one does not like to see aggravations repeat themselves.
Agreed, not my proudest moment, and now someone can call me on it two years from now if they like, such is the nature of the internet message board.

I was probably ticked off at something else when I read this thread and jumped on it. I've been on here more frequently lately since picking up and working on my 951. Likely saw Timstar's comments and had a post-traumatic flash-back.

Now back on topic, I love the 928. Its amazing how small they look in person. In pictures they look big, but they really aren't a large car at all. I'd love one, if I could find a manual S4 at a reasonable price I'd jump on it.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:36 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

You can always delete portions of your post....
Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now back on topic, I love the 928. Its amazing how small they look in person. In pictures they look big, but they really aren't a large car at all. I'd love one, if I could find a manual S4 at a reasonable price I'd jump on it.
Oh, they're nice cars, all right. I just wish they had some of the 944's curves. Their profile just always seemed a bit... I dunno... plain... to me.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on Yummybud924, you might as well tell the whole story.

Yummybud924 used to post as Timstar (and Timstar92404, and various iterations) over on 924board.org. He is an absolute legend over there, his name is still taken in vain by the regular members.

He was a young kid who bought a 924 because it said "Porsche" on the front and expected it to keep pace with a new Lambo. He bought a very worn-out example for too much money. He then proceeded to make it worse using his ham-fisted mechanical skills and lack of funds. All the while, he would post non-stop questions on the board, repeat questions until he got the answer he wanted (usually from himself), ignore members advice, insult the 924 and blame his issues on the design, insist it wasn't a real Porsche, and so on.

He was hands down the most aggravating member I have seen there in 6 years. He was so insulting to the 924 it was shocking. I mean seriously, he was on a 924 enthusiast board, you'd think he would understand that we were all fans there and would take offense. Still, he belittled the 924 during his stay there and still expected the members to give him advice and guidance. Not a class act at all.

Even now, years after his departure from our quiet little message board, when a new member arrives with similar posting traits, someone will always say, "Is this another Timstar?".

okay buddy. If by aggrevating you mean I had never worked on a vehicle before then sure. I can talk **** about some people on the 924.org board also but I won't because I don't care.

The truth is some people on 924.org who i won't name are a bunch of girly men that got their feelings hurt when I said the 944 was a better car and wanted to get rid of my 924.

they also spread a lot of misinformation like I was told the 944 is so much more compicated and expensive to work on etc and their timing belts have magical powers that requires a phd to work on etc. I have done a lot of work on my 944 since then and it is not a hard car to work on at all especially with all the support like the workshop manuals on clarksgarage.

honestly rennlist members / clarks-garage have been much more helpful and I have been able to keep my 944 running without problems for 2 years and many repairs.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 AM
wrightbenz
Instructor

Again, post specs, year, auto/manual etc. S4
The car is an 88 auto with 80k miles. The interior is in good shape but dirty, the paint is faded but should buff out. It runs rough not sure why, but it has been sitting for over a year. The sellers seem very honest just not car people, they are the second owners. Lots of records for maintenance.

Last edited by wrightbenz; 09-13-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

I meant to mention, my 944 has been sitting over a year

No reason, really, though there are a few small things I want to do and just haven't had time (also need to sell the minivan which is blocking the 944 in the garage) But if I were to sell it (I'm not), the new owner really wouldn't have anything to worry about, other than the usual 'sitting for a year' problems.
Originally Posted by TroppoShark
I prefer the leaner look of the 924 over the 944. I think the 931 is the most under-rated Porsche
Yeah, but you get the euro-spec which doesn't have the round, "bicycle reflector" side marker lights

that's the one feature I dislike about the US spec 924/931. If I were to ever get one, I'd replace it with rectangular markers.
Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I can talk **** about some people on the 924.org board also but I won't because I don't care.
The truth is some people on 924.org who i won't name are a bunch of girly men that got their feelings hurt
Yeah, you're right. when I first got on the 924 board, I was a total car noob. I've learned a lot and matured since then.
Which one strikes you as more mature? See the difference?

Take the high road. It's more becoming
Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Even bicycles don't use those round reflectors anymore.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
You can always delete portions of your post....
True, but thats not really appealing to me. Seems revisionist.

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
okay buddy. If by aggrevating you mean I had never worked on a vehicle before then sure. I can talk **** about some people on the 924.org board also but I won't because I don't care.

The truth is some people on 924.org who i won't name are a bunch of girly men that got their feelings hurt when I said the 944 was a better car and wanted to get rid of my 924.

they also spread a lot of misinformation like I was told the 944 is so much more compicated and expensive to work on etc and their timing belts have magical powers that requires a phd to work on etc. I have done a lot of work on my 944 since then and it is not a hard car to work on at all especially with all the support like the workshop manuals on clarksgarage.

honestly rennlist members / clarks-garage have been much more helpful and I have been able to keep my 944 running without problems for 2 years and many repairs.
I think Yummybud924's response speaks volumes.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like 'em just as much as my car. I like all Porsche models for one reason or another.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Ya that 928 in the picture looks like its worth every bit of $4k with maintenance records. If its a 5 speed and around here, I would have bought it twice over already.

Quick Reply: What do you think of 928s