Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**UPDATE (with pics) on page 2** Marcquito's Dash Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Project is on pause. I took a vacation and I'm actually calculating my funds as we speak to see how much more I can do. Now it's just custom a/c hoses and cosmetic crap.

Pics to follow! Be patient! I'm doing this right!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

p.s.- the seats are finished and sitting in my dad's office. I haven't been there in about 3 weeks to see them. I'll be back again by the beginning of October to do a bit more work. Carpet should be installed by then....

Ah!!! I wanna drive it!
Old 09-28-2008, 05:27 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW. Thats all I gotta say.

Insane project extremely well done.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

stay tuned. This car will be in better shape than most later cars. I swear to it.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:31 PM
mark_uss
Racer

my eyes are open...) can t wait for the pics
Old 09-29-2008, 01:03 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Whoa, this project really went off the handle!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

::small update::

I have many random pieces that I have purchsed since I have last posted. I have ALL of the dash trim pieces, finally. All I am missing is the glovebox door. I ordered 150sq/ft of dynamat to roll all over the floor pan, doors, behind the dash, (pretty much everywhere). As far as wiring goes, I have pieces of a wiring harness which I will use to make a NEW harness to plug some of the early electronics and late electronics together. I'm thinking of just making one huge harness to cover all of my needs. It'll be time consuming, but I think it would be the best choice for this project. I want everything as clean as possible.

As for the a/c- my father ordered some special *custom* a/c hoses for us to run to the later system. These are stainless lines with different fittings to make the installation a bit easier.

The car is also at the paint shop and they're taking care of minor details on my custom dash plate a/c thing. I haven't seen the car in weeks and it's killing me- Once I quit working for a few days I'll be down there. I told them to halt painting the car until I can look over EVERY detail before paint. I'd rather wait and inspect everything to be sure of a good job. But anyway, once the car is back, it shouldn't take too much more to get the interior started. Really, at this point, we just have tons of parts waiting to go in. I can't wait to see how it's going to look!

That's it for the random update I decided to post. I will go ahead and apologize for anything I may have forgotten to include. I'm pretty exhausted for some reason so in the morning I'll see if this post makes sense.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're probably exhausted from all the "break-in the new apartment sex" your girlfriend has been giving you.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Relaxed90
Instructor

The tray looks good bro. Can't wait for the finish product on the road. Told you that you could do it!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Default Update! December 28, 2008

Hey everyone, time for an update to my interior swap thread.

First things first - my car is at the body shop. It has been there about a month already and has already underwent some gruesome surgery. The PO went stupid with his jack sometime in the past and did a bit of damage to the undercarriage of the car. Some cases were so extreme that the metal bent and rusted away. For all of the sore spots, we cut them out and replaced with all new fresh metal and new undercoating spray. All dents were fixed and holes filed (the antenna, rear taillight middle ugly US piece) and a bumperette delete in the front. The job is an expensive one, so I am just showing up to the shop every once in awhile with a check until all of my debts are paid. Paint should go on sometime in January.

My only pics of the current status of the car:

Obviously, since the car is gone, I can't do much with my dash swap. I burned away some paint on the interior floorpans with a torch awhile back and all of that needed to be sanded and repainted. I just can't do any interior work until the paint is finally complete.

Now, for some interior stuff.
I finally got my seats reupholstered! The seats have full leather faces and the back in vinyl, just like from the factory.
I didn't post any pictures. I don't know why, I just forgot. But on this lazy day I remembered and took some half-decent shots for your enjoyment.
First, I'll start off with the grain, seams, and texture:

Now, full body shots!

No flash:

(They smell amazing)

I know they are early seats and most of you would have updated to later style or sports. Quite honestly, I think the colour really updates the look of the early seats. They almost do not look their age! Also, the colour match isn't exact, but close enough for now. If it's really noticeable later I'll probably just buy a later seat in the exact colour to match. But.. for $500 bucks for both seats done, I couldn't say no.

Oh, and to come to a close with my update, here's a shot of the dashboard with new (used) trim pieces! (please excuse the ex-dash in the background)

Cheers!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:32 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Has the center console been covered in leather too? If so how much did they charge? Seats look nice btw.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
Has the center console been covered in leather too? If so how much did they charge? Seats look nice btw.
Nope, it wasn't covered at all. That's the stock colour from the 968! The center console isn't an exact match, but it's pretty close.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM
trailpimp33
Instructor

Hey now be nice to my new dash!!
That is looking amazing!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trailpimp33
Hey now be nice to my new dash!!
That is looking amazing!
Who was being mean to your new dash? Justice must be served!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should cover the center console in leather since it isn't that hard. The leather just folds over the console, or you could sew two french seem's at the end corners. Anyway, the seats look great.

Quick Reply: **UPDATE (with pics) on page 2** Marcquito's Dash Swap