Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**UPDATE (with pics) on page 2** Marcquito's Dash Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kandyinmyvan
O/T: Hey Marc, I noticed that you have a GS-T. I used to have a 95 TSi. Does the dash mean its a boosted GS 420a or a GST? Either way, you should head over to DSMPurity.com. It's a great smaller dsm forum that quickly growing. Lots of knowledgeable guys over there.
Sorry, I didn't really know what you were asking. Are you wondering if my DSM has a boosted 420A? If so, no. It's 4g63t. I rebuilt the motor one year ago and put a new clutch in it. Runs great for my DD.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark_uss
good progres so far...i`ve just finished cleaning the 84 944 interior .i`m making room for the new i wil start dismantle the early dash tommorow.MARC do you change the electric instalation ? and i have a question about the speed indicator..how will it work ? i have the 89 car al wirings but no gearbox.i`ve sell the trany..because mine is very good.
Can you be more specific on your electrical question? I'm not sure exactly what advise your looking for. Since you mentioned electrics, I guess you are wondering if you can keep most of the wiring from the old to retrofit to the new. I don't know how far you're willing to go with your swap. Do you want to change to the later style climate control box under the dash? I mean, you could keep the older style a/c system, but the glove-box on the later dash will not be functional (the unit sits right behind where the glove-box is located) and you will ahve to move the heater and a/c controls below the radio on the later console. What are your goals exactly?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:04 AM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marcquito
Sorry, I didn't really know what you were asking. Are you wondering if my DSM has a boosted 420A? If so, no. It's 4g63t. I rebuilt the motor one year ago and put a new clutch in it. Runs great for my DD.
A lot of people who turbo the 420a like to add "-T" after their trim. Ex: RS-T.

Btw, great job on the swap so far
Old 07-14-2008, 11:35 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...more pics?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:01 PM
mark_uss
Racer

i was asking about the wiring behind the dash is it the same ? do u have to retro fit? i have all the harness of the donor car and got to know do i start pulling the harness out? and i want al the dash to be functional including hvac. the donor car is complete witout a front panel
Old 07-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark_uss
i was asking about the wiring behind the dash is it the same ? do u have to retro fit? i have all the harness of the donor car and got to know do i start pulling the harness out? and i want al the dash to be functional including hvac. the donor car is complete witout a front panel
You could probably splice the harnesses together. Just get yourself a test light and some patience. The early cars are pretty primitive and you can pretty much follow the harness to see where it's going. The electrics are pretty simple versus the later cars. I wish I had harnesses from a later car, if so, I'd consider using them rather than splicing, but you can make that decision.

Oh, the harnesses aren't the same under the dash, you'll have to decide to splice or not.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:22 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. Great work Marcquito.

You get the award for 'Stuff a sane person would never do'.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The wiring behind the dash and in the instrument is almost completely different. One would have to study the schematics of both cars and related out/input differences between the car to get everything to work.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marc, I really admire your attitude and enthusiasm. I probably would not be so anxious to tackle such a job. I have done lots of upgrades and conversions on other P-cars(air-cooled) and frankly the most important tool is confidence. Just getting started and takeing your time can be huge. Just remember that the differance between greatness and just "getting it done" is the last 5%. Way to go. Kudos to your dad for helping.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:50 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
Marc, I really admire your attitude and enthusiasm. I probably would not be so anxious to tackle such a job. I have done lots of upgrades and conversions on other P-cars(air-cooled) and frankly the most important tool is confidence. Just getting started and takeing your time can be huge. Just remember that the differance between greatness and just "getting it done" is the last 5%. Way to go. Kudos to your dad for helping.
Thanks for your compliment.

My dad is a bit excited to help since the only Porsche experience he has had in the past were carrera n/a to turbo conversions which included everything- even the fender flares and other upgrades. This was his first 944 to wrench on, so he was a bit interested to see how the car was put together. He is very wise when it comes to helping me- he has many years of auto wrenching under his belt- wayyyy more than most. I'm very lucky to have learned (and still learning) from the best.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Judson951
Drifting

Sorry I didnt get the pictures over yet, I have been very busy packing / shipping stuff. I will do it tonight.

See ya, Justin
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Judson951
Sorry I didnt get the pictures over yet, I have been very busy packing / shipping stuff. I will do it tonight.

See ya, Justin
Justin, I grabbed a steering column assembly out of a junk yard car yesterday, so I'm not in need of that part anymore. Sorry about that. I appreciate your help, though.

You're still shipping the a/c hose for the passenger side, right?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Guess what? The late steering column bolts RIGHT UP into the early car! Damn! I am so glad I didn't have to fabricate something for once. It's nice to get a break once in awhile...

Just wanted to share.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marcquito
Justin, I grabbed a steering column assembly out of a junk yard car yesterday, so I'm not in need of that part anymore. Sorry about that. I appreciate your help, though.

You're still shipping the a/c hose for the passenger side, right?
AC hoses for the pass side?

I was talking about the dash vent plastic routing pieces. I will snap a picture and show you what I was talking about.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Judson951
AC hoses for the pass side?

I was talking about the dash vent plastic routing pieces. I will snap a picture and show you what I was talking about.
Yeah that's what I meant, too. Sorry for the confusion.

Quick Reply: **UPDATE (with pics) on page 2** Marcquito's Dash Swap