Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**UPDATE (with pics) on page 2** Marcquito's Dash Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

did you read post # 183 ?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

vrrrrrruuummmmmmmpppppppppppppp !!

no good deed goes unpunished around here. i say finish it.
new to the thread ? start here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...h-swap-13.html
Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure I didn't connect the airbags or some of the electrical interior bits (cig lighter, clock) but if anyone still doubts the swap... just go for it and take your time. The dash fits absolutely fine with the early windshield, but you do need to cut a few parts off a 944 body for a perfect perfect fit, and take your time with figuring out the wiring. I never connected the A/C either but that by far is the most difficult part.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still own the car! Haha. It's a sitting project and the swap really isn't the most difficult part of my build by any means. It turned into a 100% restoration project with the dash swap as just part of the deal. I've been slowly rebuilding all of the running gear and beautifying it. Once that is all finished and the car is back on its feet, I can then put the interior back in. Every bit of my swap goes in absolutely perfect - the wiring is the next hurdle and it would be completely functional. I've also moved a few times and work has progressively been taking over my life more and more as the months go on.

I've struggled with the idea of selling the car, or just parting it out, but I have decided that I have way too much work into that car. It's a beautiful car and mine is a very clean example, even though it is all still apart.

This week I was planning on pulling the car back into the middle of the shop and really knocking a few jobs out. Sure, the BMW has been fun, but it's not a project car - it's a DD. The Porsche has a special place in my heart. I haven't moved on... I've just been cheating a bit.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Rachel232
6th Gear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prepare to be punched in the face by dash-hawtness.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Pics no workie?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

effin' man up !!

Originally Posted by Marcquito

I haven't moved on... I've just been cheating a bit.

a bit ?

@ 4 years and counting the statute of limitations has run out on the dash swap.

man up; otherwise, this carcass will eventually go for pennies or worse....

sorry.

Last edited by odurandina; 05-14-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Odurandina.... just shut up already.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
effin' man up !!

liar, liar pants on fire.

look, we're all trying to give you the benefit of the doubt,

but @ 4 years and counting the statute of limitations has run out on the dash swap.

either man up, get your *** back in the garage....

sorry.
Man up? I'm not sure what you mean by that, but if you can conjure up an extra 20 hours per work week, I think I can dedicate the time necessary to make this project go faster. I spend my full waking hours running a powerboat manufacturing company, the design studio of a surface drive company, and managing an offshore powerboat race team. Full time. My designs and business are number one and unfortunately, this 944 is what I do when I have even a sliver of spare time which recently has been almost none.

Man up? I don't think I could man up any further. If this post is you trying to nudge me to get a move on a project that requires lots of money and has next to zero net gain - I suggest you go hound another topic.

Four years isn't that long - especially if you have gathered that this is not just a dash swap any longer, but a full blown restoration of the car. If I wanted to take ten years to do this, well then goddamn it, I will take ten years. At least my final product would be better than yours and my satisfaction at the end would be priceless.

Anyways... I've been arranging my parts on the floor for cleanup and photos. I'll post a few so everyone can see the current state of my build and the progress I make in the coming days.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

in my opinion, this project is teetering very close on an end game called, fail.

but i can hardly understand why.... was your project easy ? no way. to be clear, ambitious would be an understatement. nevertheless, something clearly needs to light a fire under your butt... THIS IS A PORSCHE FORUM... we do Porsche 924, 944 and 968 restorations, and resto-mods here..... four long years ago, you started the thread with the intention of finishing what you started.... we all wanted to celebrate in the success of a completed project and we were behind you 100 %... but after 4 years, somebody should be able to say 'something' in an effort to motivate you to finish this... otherwise, all we'll be left to conclude is that this was a functional project, that at some point became disfunctional.... and nobody want's to see that.

remember, you always habackslid ve the opportunity to get help (far-better than the alternative)....

now this must come as a shock to the politically correct, hooked on phonics generation, where nobody loses, nobody criticizes anybody and nobody's feelings get hurt... but the truth is, life is tough.... and when some guys tell other guys to "man up," there should never be hard feelings. there sure as hell wasn't this kind of silliness 30 years ago, but it seems things have changed.....

i would expect to hear some criticism (and deservedly so) about my 993/968 hybrid fender project (to run 993 Xenon lamps)... after putting out the word and half done pics (as i have done)..... but then if i never bothered to finish it, i would fairly expect someone to say something..... think about it. you know we just want to see it done, and another 944 turned into something even better.

somebody has to be an ***. and we all know who that is.

so please, pretty please, with sugar on top. finish the f_cking car.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone who can get this far with a 944 qualifies as a "real man" for me. How much $ worth of labor have you put into this conversion/restoration? I would estimate it at $15k+. The restoration comes as a part of "while I am in there..." scenario.

Like I posted earlier in this thread. 99% of the people attempting a late dash conversion would not come anywhere close to this far.

Its just cheaper to buy a late model car.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odurandina
so please, pretty please, with sugar on top. finish the f_cking car.

you've been riding around with LS power for how many years now? I mean, you WERE one of the first to do the swap, right? How long have you talked about that?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Default well since you put it that way.....

Last edited by odurandina; 05-14-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

You clearly have more time on your hands than I do. Congratulations. Now stop littering my thread.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Dimitri_944
Instructor

odura, im in high school and 17 year old girls dont complain as much as you do... marcquito i applaud the effort and work that has gone into this project. keep up the good work

Quick Reply: **UPDATE (with pics) on page 2** Marcquito's Dash Swap