Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we the dirty step children of Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:51 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always chat up Porsche Drivers. especially the 944 drivers!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
you raced a 356? dude...that's just not even fair. I would have stayed behind him and enjoyed the look of old-school.

btw, A lot of ppl under estimate how fast a 944 is. it can outrun alot.
Originally Posted by beemreatr
true, I raced my son and walked him for like two blocks. He "claimed" he was tired of pedaling but I think he was just embarrassed about how slow his 12 speed was!!
BTW I am running a intake, chip and short throw shifter
I wasted this guy in a stock vw bug. It wasn't even close. Oh yeah, sometimes my kids run down the street with me when I leave for work. Totally leave them in the dust!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by empiredsn
I wasted this guy in a stock vw bug. It wasn't even close. Oh yeah, sometimes my kids run down the street with me when I leave for work. Totally leave them in the dust!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Smoker324
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below is probably the funniest thing I have read on this list in a while --

All in all - If the below descriptions are globally accurate (which I know they are not) - If I had to make a choice, I know I would want to be part of the Front Engined crowd! I prefer acceptance of others over rejection. Life is funner that way....

Quote"

If you go to a Porsche gathering (HPDE) here's how the fish in the aquarium relate:

Air Cooled: Close knit, and exclusive. Tend to be aggressive and will nip at water coolers.

Front Engined: Very tight knit, but isolated. Will attempt to buddy up with Air Coolers on the theory that they drive old Porsches too; but will be rejected by Air Coolers repeatedly. Front Engine saps will not give up. By default, they end up intermingling with the C/B crew (see below). It's a symbiotic relationship that helps both breeds.

Cayman/Boxster: At first, they hop around the Water Cooled - Tail Draggers looking for fellowship, like motherless puppies. After repeated shunning by all but the Front Engine crowd (which even accepts the track photographer's Ford Tempo), they settle in among the Front Engine crowd."
Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 AM
moorepower
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford Tempos ROCK!

BTW, I could totally smoke a Tempo with my 924S!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To the original OP. I wouldn't let yourself feel that people are ignoring you. Trust me everyone gets a thread going and sometimes the post gets some views and no replies. There are a lot of threads that you'll post to and there is no response afterwards. It's not you, I'm sure everyone feels that they are the thread killer....

But shooting down the "others" saying they rely on the dealer for work etc. is kind of snubbing people who you think are snubbing you. I would think that the majority of folks who can afford a new 997 normally do not have time to tinker or know every bit of mechanics on their car. I drive my car only on weekends because the week day is work in town or out of town and I cannot drive everyday. I tinker with mine because I like it and I can't stand giving someone money to do something that I can do in 15min. (Which is less time than it would be to get it to the dealer. But then again, if you have a good dealer he'll give you a nice loaner!!!)

Anyways some people wave, some do not. Two weeks ago on a nice canyon run, I got a wave back from a 914 and a Cayman S.

It's not you, or people who drive nice cars. People can be self absorbed no matter how much money they have.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Marajit
Instructor

The owners of other models might have more money and know more.

We love better.

That is all.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Default Yes!

Old 07-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Marajit
Instructor

Just found this whilst looking for info on the Electric Air Valve thingie and felt it needed final clarification.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

about a year ago, i considered bumping this thread *(as I have it in a folder with 3 or 4 hundred of my fave 944 threads).

I was waiting for a chill day on the forums and somebody beat me...

no worries. I got 285 more icbm's in the bullpen waiting to fly.

Originally Posted by Eharrison

But shooting down the "others" saying they rely on the dealer for work etc. is kind of snubbing people who you think are snubbing you. I would think that the majority of folks who can afford a new 997 normally do not have time to tinker or know every bit of mechanics on their car.

I drive my car only on weekends because the week day is work in town or out of town and I cannot drive everyday. I tinker with mine because I like it....
I would prefer to surf than change a timing belt. funk dat.

furthermore, many of the people who posted in these threads from back in the day are now snotty 911 drivers -- who no longer
wrench... cuz they're so busy putting in extra time at the office to pay for their 996s/997s/Cayman adventures.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
...furthermore, many of the people who posted in these threads from back in the day are now snotty 911 drivers -- who no longer
wrench... cuz they're so busy putting in extra time at the office to pay for their 996s/997s/Cayman adventures.
Guess us 996 owners will just have to pigeon hole into your limited vision of us.

I can attest that the truth is a decent well-sorted 944 gets a lot of respect from 911 owners at the track, where the entusoastic and well- informed car community hangs out. If you are talking about the 911 owners who buy a new Porsche only as a status symbol, I couldn't care less what they think of our 944's.

Oh btw, I own a 996 and still wrench my own 944's. I also prefer my 944 on the track as its an easy car to get right. I respect those racing 911's as I was never as good at getting the most out of them as they are.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:04 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

to be clear i hear ya.... i understand many of yesteryear's 944 owners, who moved into the water-cooled bugwagons still rejoice at a fine afternoon wrenching their 944s, as they indeed still possess a 944. as would i. if there was no 968, a 944 would be in my driveway.

it's just that i also find it interesting when i discover many guys that used to post in the 944 forums are long gone from here.... ahhh, but now they post in the 911 forums!! and i'm sure, that to some extent, they're wrenching those cars as well.... up to the point where dropping the engines becomes warrented.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I choose the 944 series cause I like the style. Besides I once owned one Corvair, why would I want another
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a couple older gentlemen in a gorgeous new 911 turbo speed up to catch me after I went under an overpass (with some throttle) the other day...the guy in the passenger seat was practically falling out of the car waving and giving me thumbs up with a big smile on his face.

I get a lot of people commenting on how cool or nice my car is...and honestly it looks like a beater POS, but I guess when you drive in an area where you don't ever see 944's, you get more looks, especially when it doesn't sound like an import.

Ethan
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Ethan, your car has a V8 correct? i'll bet it sounds great going under that overpass, lol! no wonder those guys in the 911 were hanging out of the car!

Quick Reply: Are we the dirty step children of Porsche?