Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harness mounting

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Cone_eater
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post harness mounting

I am looking into a racing harness. My birthday is coming up and my father would love to get me something that makes my car a little safer. What are you guys running? How are they mounted and is it worth it?
Thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 10:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Sometimes the harness bar gets mounted in the spot where the rear seat back latches.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple of options for harness mounting. Harness guide bars available from Brey Krause and StableEnergies.com which mount at the C-pillar. Belts physically attach to rear seatbelt points and wrap over the guide bar. Not the best solution as harnesses stretch in a impact, and running it this way means alot of belt to stretch.

RedLine Rennsport makes a bolt in rollbar / harnessbar, which you can attach the harnesses directly to. Probably the best option as it also offers some rollover protection.

Remember if you are using this car for DE, you will not be able to use your stock seats. You must have a seat with proper harness routing holes. This is because the belts can slide off your shoulder in a impact.

If you are meaning for these belts to replace your regular 3pt belt on the street, i personally would not even bother.

This is everything in a nutshell, a complete rundown of proper mounting options and whatnot would span a few pages...
Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Cone_eater
Racer

I am getting myself better racing seats and they will have the holes. Does anyone have pics?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good reading:

http://www.metronypca.org/Technical/...ics%20rev2.pdf
Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck

Remember if you are using this car for DE, you will not be able to use your stock seats. You must have a seat with proper harness routing holes. This is because the belts can slide off your shoulder in a impact.
No DE in our area requires a racing seat, or racing harnesses. In fact they would rather you use the DOT seat and DOT belts versus certain harness setups like a 4 point. This goes for PCA, Audi, and BMW events.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry misread that post. You are correct, you can't use a 5-6 point harness with a stock seat.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:24 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

im a tech for OVR/PCA so i do all of the pre-DE inspections for our region. New PCA requirements state that you can use 3pt stock belts, street legal DOT four point harnesses such as the BMW schroth deals(**limited to a few cars), or five/six point harnesses as long as they are used in conjunction w/ a seat that accepts them such as a seat w/ a sub hole and side holes to allow the lap belt to go through the bolsters. You may not modify a seat. Seat must be manufactured w/ the holes etc. All restraints must be equal w/ the instructor meaning that if you have six point harnesses on the drivers side you must have the same on the passenger side. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask me in a PM.

personally i run a solid mount non reclining OMP race seat on the ds of my car w/ 5pt corbeau harnesses. The ps is reclinable but has all of the necessary holes and equal restraints. I use them w/ a redline rollbar/harnessbar and i will be installing a seat brace in the near future.
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Cone_eater
Racer

I am doing this for personal safety. I want the security, not track purposes that is just a bonus. I am putting in new seats so I was wondering how people are setting up theirs and what they are using.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

also have this old pic of my n/a which is gone now...

word of advise- if you put in harnesses keep the stockers in as well. I tried the harness only thing w/ my n/a and not only is it illegal in my state but its a real pain to get in and out of after about a week.
Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend you read the excellent article/instructions available at the Schroth website. There is some very good advice that will help you plan the installation of the seats and harness.

http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf
Old 01-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Cone_eater
Racer

This is my daily driver so I need to access my back seat. My boss is an off road club president. He uses a seat that has the mounting for the harness on the seat. I can get them at a discounted price and I think they are Corbeau. Has anyone herd of this type?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

If you arent going to be driving on a track then harneses wont be any safer than stock belts. In fact it wouldnt surprise me if harnesses are less safe in a daily driver than OEM belts. Not to mention that in most states its illegal to run the harnesses ebcause they are not DOT certified. Corbeau seats are cheap, and you will certainly get what you pay for.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Cone_eater
Racer

I do race but that is not the entire point of getting them. I am 5' 7" and 120lbs. I am very small and slide around in seats. I don't like this and want to change. I am getting new seats and I might as well get a harness while I am there. I am hoping that it will help.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The restraints are part of a system that also includes the one-piece seats and the roll bar (not harness bar). Restraints + one-piece seats + rollbar = system. If you take one of these items out of the equation, you reduce the overall safety of the system. By how much? Who knows. Can you run harnesses without a proper one piece seat? Can you run a one piece seat without a rollbar? It all depends on how much risk you are willing to assume by compromising system. Driving a small sports car on roads littered with pickups, SUVs and soccer vans is a risk to begin with.

My setup:

Quick Reply: harness mounting