Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Air Box Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:13 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Doc. Would you be willing to elaborate on how you get to 210 rwhp on and S2. Besides a good set of headers..
Old 12-30-2007, 10:40 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to Header/Exhaust/Cat Delete - There's also retuned chips for the S2 - I'm running the prototype FR Wilk chip. It certainly livens up the car and improves low end and mid range power. I've yet to get a dyno of gains with this one mod.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:14 PM
gstein
Instructor

The Doc's right. I didn't know the S2 box was in a different location, as I have never owned one. That's a nice improvement from the earlier location, and would give you completely different air temps. Thank you for pointing this out.

Still don't see a need for increased airflow on a stock motor without turbos. I generally see little to no improvement when I increase the diameters of my intake tubes without changing the size of the throttle body, intake manifold, and valves. But, your results may differ. Personally, I would work with the manifold first, then move to throttle body, valves, then air ducts.

Chris, I still find the airbox expensive, solely because it was so inexpensive to manufacture. That being said, it was cheap and easy to engineer to perfectly match its top performance requirements. The intake manifold on the other hand, was a pricey little item to manufacture. It would have cost Porsche a lot of money to polish the insides of every manifold, therefor it is left with room for improvement. I just find that the easier it is to do something, the less you will get out of it in the end. Again, this is just my opinion.

Best Regards,
Benjamin Goldstein
Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

One thing that y'all might consider is that the relative life of the air filter might be significantly shortened by this mod. The airflow of the stock opening should be more than sufficient for the requirements of a stock engine, and protects the filter form the direct blasting of road debris its liable to receive, not to mention the soaking you might receive if you drove your car in wet weather (um, Cory, that last comment wouldn't apply to you, of course ). The biggest downside to this mod, imo, is that even tho you won't force more air through the engine, you will likely push more dirt through the filter and into your engine, since you will have increased air pressure on the outside of the filter.

I've got no math to support these comments, but I'd be surprised if you yield anything more that "cool noises" upon acceleration with this mod. I'm not picking on anyone that wants to do this, if you think its cool, go for it. I'm just pointing out something that strikes me as an engineering design consideration.

YMMV.

Regards,

Last edited by User 41221; 01-03-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Re the pic with all the holes in that S2 airbox... Why not just leave off that entire front cover piece? You've made holes such that the cover does little but help hold the filter on. Why not just nix the cover and make a couple of clasps to hold the filter? Then you could keep the cover unmolested too, in case you should ever need to revert.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

haha too late. There's a box on ebay for 10 bucks though, so no worries.

And yes, no rain for me...or very much dust. We'll see. If I don't like it, it only takes 5 minutes to change out.

Quick Reply: S2 Air Box Mod?