Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Air Box Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:25 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedBump
I'm sure a few other 968 people will jump in but on the 968-
1) It sounds better
2) Some gain in HP proven on a few dynos
3) Lowered air temps (I'm not sure how it lowered them but I trust the **** engineer who did the testing)
1) yes, and a cone sounds even better
2) fine if you're into driving on dynos, but that does not duplicate the airflow characteristics around the car in the real world
3) lower than ambient? no way! Having a stock airbox vs a cone does not change the intake air temp once the car (968, others may differ) is moving. Anyone who says otherwise has not tested it.

(I'm not sure how it lowered them but I trust the **** engineer who did the testing)
flash is always right, even when he's wrong...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:28 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
If you eliminate the airbox on a 968 and keep the hot air off the filter you can get a gain.
Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
"yes. you will ruin your air filter box.
the intake is designed to be connected to the scoops above the radiator support because it's cooler air coming in from there. putting holes in the air filter box will let warm air in----not good at all. and that's just for the top side of the box.
"

On a 968, you don't need to mod anything to keep hot air off the filter. Once the car is moving, the intake air temp with the stock airbox is equivalent to the intake air temp without anything at all attached to the MAF.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:23 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Ok, first...there's a HUGE difference (to me) on placement of the two boxes. The 968's box is RIGHT next to the engine, the S2 has its box under the nose panel where air is directed all of 4" from the front bumper. Much better position for the S2 box.

Why does every S2 owner see the nose panel as a hard thing to remove? Mine has all of 6 screws and 4 bolts and it slides right off. I can have it off in 5 minutes. It's damn near easier then checking the oil!

Look at where the S2 box sits and where the top opening in the bumper leads to. Is it any wonder the 951's have a tunnel leading from this opening to the intercooler? When that air is rushing in and the S2 box is there, not cut up...the air hits the front of the box and then has to be sucked in from the end of the box. I drilled 4 holes across the front of the box, so when that air hits it, it goes in...not bouncing off.

I do realize I'll only gain sound, but the sound is kind of cool. I used to have a monster K&N filter (PO) on the car, and it sounded cool, then I bought the stock box. I lost the noise and I wanted some way to get it back. So I guess I have now.
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Flash? I thought he used a G-tech (and had some very questionable results.)
Old 12-28-2007, 02:49 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

http://www.968forums.com/index.php?s...ndpost&p=17652

http://www.968engineering.com/pdfs/airboxmods.pdf
Old 12-28-2007, 02:56 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris luckett
3) lower than ambient? no way! Having a stock airbox vs a cone does not change the intake air temp once the car (968, others may differ) is moving. Anyone who says otherwise has not tested it.

flash is always right, even when he's wrong...
Lower than temps with stock airbox and stock snorkel.

Dave Griemann would be the engineer I was referring to not Flash. OT -Flash and I have our disagreements but he is right on a lot of things even if other people can't get over their blinding hatred of him. He is also a super nice guy who has gone out of his way to help me from 3000 miles away on several occasions.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

I'm not saying flash is not a nice guy. I have no idea as I have never met him or had a conversation with him. Just that he is very opinionated and biased to his own agenda, often to the detriment of the entire 968 community. Enough of that old topic...
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Lower than temps with stock airbox and stock snorkel.
My testing has shown that the intake air temp at the MAF with the stock airbox and stock snorkel go to ambient temp within seconds of the car moving. Don't take my word for it, I encourage you to test it yourself instead of relying on "internet engineering".
Old 12-28-2007, 03:18 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris luckett
I'm not saying flash is not a nice guy. I have no idea as I have never met him or had a conversation with him. Just that he is very opinionated and biased to his own agenda, often to the detriment of the entire 968 community. Enough of that old topic...
Agreed.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Why does every S2 owner see the nose panel as a hard thing to remove? Mine has all of 6 screws and 4 bolts and it slides right off. I can have it off in 5 minutes. It's damn near easier then checking the oil!
You must not have very large arms, or have rediculously long and flexible extensions, or you're missing hardware. Mine has 4 screws along the top, then 4 hex bolts under the headlights. To get to those, you have to wrestle the rubber weather seals out, and rubber doesn't slide too easily. After those are out, theres the 2 outboard hex head screws that require a larger socket, those aren't too bad, and then theres the two inboard screws that you have to reach around the headlights, squeeze between the oil cooler and get a screw driver on, then get the screw out without dropping it, or catching your soft forearm flesh on a sharp corner and come out bleeding.

Yes, at speed, you do get a ram-air effect, but I still didn't feel any difference.
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2007, 07:45 PM
r1moto
Instructor

On my S2 I've disposed of most of those screws. I put back only "C" and 1/2 of "D". The panel stays put and does not rattle. I also have sealed off the area where the filter is so the air can only go into the filter. I have a very large K&N filter, I have noticed a few differences. First, better instantaneous throttle response. Second, louder intake sound when accelerating. Third about 20-30 more miles per gas tank on the freeway. As for more power, I would have to say no.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:11 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Bleu- haha, wow. I had no idea that's what you guys are putting up with. The hard part of removing mine is the rubber, no doubt. I have removed the panel probably 4 times, and it gets easier each time. I only have C, half of D (the outer ones) and F to deal with like r1moto does . Mine is solid and doesn't move or rattle either.

It's so worth eliminating those pesky screws. Then again, I don't even recall seeing where screws go into my header panel. Maybe it's a '91 thing? Who knows. I'm glad mine are eliminated.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:26 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
You must not have very large arms, or have rediculously long and flexible extensions, or you're missing hardware. Mine has 4 screws along the top, then 4 hex bolts under the headlights. To get to those, you have to wrestle the rubber weather seals out, and rubber doesn't slide too easily. After those are out, theres the 2 outboard hex head screws that require a larger socket, those aren't too bad, and then theres the two inboard screws that you have to reach around the headlights, squeeze between the oil cooler and get a screw driver on, then get the screw out without dropping it, or catching your soft forearm flesh on a sharp corner and come out bleeding.

Yes, at speed, you do get a ram-air effect, but I still didn't feel any difference.
Nice diagram. That should be of use to a newbie.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:06 PM
gstein
Instructor

Cone filter or holes in your airbox are not desirable.
This induces hot air into your motor, as opposed to cool fresh air the stock setup acquires. This makes absolutely no sense. If you seriously believe you need more air fed to your box, route an additional hose to it from one of the fog light openings. Drilling holes in your box = broken box.

Sorry but you just destroyed a relatively expensive little piece of plastic.

Best Regards,
Benjamin Goldstein
Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Did it, got no gains. All it does is make the intake a little louder. I just nixed the whole box and put a cone on there.

I've met all the engineers involved in the development of this mod, and they have compelling arguments and convincing evidence. However my personal experience was I got no noticeable improvements but like the sound to just went all-out and used the thing that gives the most sound.

Last edited by FRporscheman; 12-29-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Quick Reply: S2 Air Box Mod?