Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Air Box Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:26 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gstein
Cone filter or holes in your airbox are not desirable.
This induces hot air into your motor, as opposed to cool fresh air the stock setup acquires.
wrong! reread the thread.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:23 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Originally Posted by gstein
Cone filter or holes in your airbox are not desirable.
This induces hot air into your motor, as opposed to cool fresh air the stock setup acquires. This makes absolutely no sense. If you seriously believe you need more air fed to your box, route an additional hose to it from one of the fog light openings. Drilling holes in your box = broken box.

Sorry but you just destroyed a relatively expensive little piece of plastic.

Best Regards,
Benjamin Goldstein
Did you happen to look at the picture I posted? This is NOT a 968 style under hood filter. It's under the header panel, which is seperate from the engine bay. The closest hot thing is the radiator, if you can even consider that. My 4 holes face the inlet in the bumper. The stock box draws from the SAME spot that my new modded box will. The only difference is my holes face the FRONT of the car, and not the passenger side. It seems as if you have never cracked open an S2 header panel and seen the layout.

So please tell me, how are my holes going to suck in hot air, when the stock hole didn't? This is one myth, that has me stumped. 4 new holes, in the SAME spot as the " factory cold-air-sucking hole"...yet they are going to draw in hot air. Man...beats me. I probably need to take a step back from my car...

Relatively expensive? lol...no. Hard to find? Yes. If you consider $50 bucks expensive (with a new filter), then you're into the wrong type of cars...
Old 12-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris luckett
On a 968, you don't need to mod anything to keep hot air off the filter. Once the car is moving, the intake air temp with the stock airbox is equivalent to the intake air temp without anything at all attached to the MAF.
And you know this how? You know how the air travels under the hood of the car because? Do you have any data?

Do you think you could get more air (density) into the engine using the whole engine compartment or if you walled off 3/4's of it that, oh by the way, also eliminates the possibility of hot air entering the intake?

Here is the dyno chart I mentioned.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2007, 05:24 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

That's a stock 968 chart? What do S2's dyno at stock?

In my photos, you can see how I've modded mine if you're familiar with a stock box. I measured and cut the holes on the front which I believe are 1 3/4" holes.

The front half of the box, has a piece inside of it that I took out to allow the passenger side 2 holes to have direct flow to the filter. With the piece installed, the air would flow through the holes, then hit this piece and have to go around. It's more straight shot now.

In the pictures I handy dandy MSPainted, the blue arrows show stock airflow with a non modded box. The air flows through the front bumper opening, hits the front of the box, then has to be sucked in the end. The yellow arrows show the new air flow. The air flows through the front bumper, flows through the holes instead of bouncing off the box and is allowed to be sucked in.

Now gstein, tell me how I'm inducing hot air. My holes are more forward then the stock hole, and actually face fresh air. If you're talking about the 968 setup, I'm not familiar and cannot comment. However, it seems like your remarks were directed towards me. Please tell me how hot air is going to be pulled FORWARD from my motor into the front bumper/ header panel area, because I'm stumped...
Attached Images               
Old 12-30-2007, 06:35 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
And you know this how?
I've tested it myself rather than relying on "internet facts".

You know how the air travels under the hood of the car because?
I made no inferences about knowing the airflow characteristics under the hood. Irrelevent to temp gradients anyway. If you know the temp, that's sufficient info.

Do you have any data?
Not for you. I did the test to educate myself, not to be an internet hero.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:27 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am guessing gstein maybe did not realize the S2 box is under the front nose panel versus in the engine bay like a 944NA or turbo.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I've tested it myself rather than relying on "internet facts".
Tested it how? You are not answering the question. You seem to be very passionate about this subject.

I made no inferences about knowing the airflow characteristics under the hood. Irrelevent to temp gradients anyway. If you know the temp, that's sufficient info.
It's not irrelevent due to the fact that the majority of the air under the hood is significatly higher than ambient.

Not for you. I did the test to educate myself, not to be an internet hero.

Somehow I doubt air temp numbers on a 968 with an open air filter will make you a hero anywhere but in your own dreams. Relax. And you still did not answer the question. Typically it's "yes" or "no".
Old 12-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Carbon, yes that is a stock dyno chart from a 94 968 that ran as a F stock PCA car. I have tried several different things with a couple of S2's years ago but did not come up with anything significant. Most of the gains I found in an S2 had to do with headers, exhaust and fuel pressure. The exhaust changes are free in PCA the fuel pressure is not. I played with the pressure just to satisfy my own curiosity.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

What does a stock S2 dyno at though? About 180-185?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Roughly yes. I just put my cylinder head back together yesturday and will put the head back on the car this week. After that it's going to the dyno for a baseline. It's completely stock with 120k miles.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:24 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

So is 200whp a laugh, or is it an a achieveable number?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:55 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

200whp is very attainable on an S2. I've got a few 210hp dyno's around somewhere on the old dyno computer. As Chris stated, headers are a pretty decent gain, though not cheap.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:16 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Is this with cams or not? I haven't even seen any cams for sale for an S2 really. It seems like re-grinds are the only option.

What other mods have you been seeing on these cars?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I may have a source on new billet cams for an S2. I have been in contact with the guy that does my 996 varient cams.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Well if that's a good source, you can already consider me interested!

Quick Reply: S2 Air Box Mod?