Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NNJ/NY Metro DE/Track day????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:04 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NNJ/NY Metro DE/Track day????

After the last Get2Gether at Cubby's there was interest in getting together for a track day.

I've never done a DE before (but I am a NNJ PCA member and I did stay at a holiday inn once!)...and I am excited to give it a try and maybe learn how to actually drive my car!

So I'll be looking for a helmet and fire extinguisher over the next few months as well as checking over my car against the inspection list that Z-man posted a month or so ago....

Figured I'd put this out there to see who's interested....I am thinking Watkins Glen right now...or Lime Rock...but I just looked at the PCA site and there's not much info there for 2008 yet....

Z-Man...if you read this please chime in...maybe you've got some inside info!

Oh...also...a friend who's here on the List somewhere (997, 356, 993...where do you lurk?) has offered to instruct me...which I am exicited about...so this should be fun...

Let the planning begin!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Watkins Glen is a bit of a trek, Pocono and Lime Rock are the closest. The first event probably wont be until mid April.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:32 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

My friend tells me that pocono is very hard on your car...how far is the Glen compared to Lime Rock? Looks like Lime Rock is about a 3+hr drive for me (from NJ)...are we best off to plan an overnight/diner ?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:16 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the events at the Glen start getting posted in January. As an early heads-up, I can tell you the Niagara Region has booked Mon/Tue, May 26/27 (that's Memorial Day + the following Tuesday) for our first 2008 event. Just in case anyone wants to put that on their calendar.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:27 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

bump.....who's interested??????????
Old 11-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

i think pocono gets 20k for the day whether or not a car goes on the track or not. yep, that's 20k for the privalege of using one of their tracks.

that's why metrony and nnjr charge about 150 a day per person to de and have volunteers for instructors.

i have a stable energies fire extinguisher mount that mounts to the bottom of the factory seat. Zoltan knows the piece, i bought it from him. PM me and i will send it to you for 25 shipped. That's assuming i find it. i am pretty sure i know where it is.

that's all you need for a DE besides a helmet. i would love to join, but my car is a mere 1800 miles away from you guys.

BTW, when are the denver area guys getting together?

Joel, how do you like the CX9 compared to the MDX? we are starting the search since jill's rendezvous lease is up in july.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:09 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom

Thanks for the advice! If you find the mount, PM me and I'll paypal you!!!

The CX-9 GT is great! It's a little less refined than the MDX but well worth it when you consider how much less expensive it is! It's got almost 4000 miles already and we love it!

best

Joe
Old 11-17-2007, 06:16 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in if my car is ready and tuned by then
Old 11-17-2007, 07:53 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

how's the work going carlos? you've got a few months yet....I am thinking april/may time-frame!

and

bump again....
Old 11-17-2007, 08:22 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J Berk
how's the work going carlos? you've got a few months yet....I am thinking april/may time-frame!

and

bump again....
It's going to good i am going to get a dyno run on wed to get a base number and then over the winter i am going to rebuild and mod my car so its going to be a long winter!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 11-18-2007, 01:39 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

joel, i saw it in the garage tonight. pm me with your address and i will get it in the mail one of these days. after you get it mail me the money. my mother in law came in today, my folks come in on thursday..... i dont want your money until it is out, and i dont feel like having to worry about getting it out, which i will if i have your money.

you will have it in the next two weeks.

also, is the CX9 the ford edge/lincoln mkx?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:50 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

cool thanks! PM sent....and bump again
Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe:
Sounds like you've caught the DE bug even before ever turning a corner on the track! The only problem is your timing -- you're going to have to wait until the spring since the DE season in the Northeast is pretty much over for 2007...

NNJR does have a few confirmed dates for the 2008 season, but most are still up in the air. Here's an idea of what it will look like:
- April: Pocono, possibly Lime Rock
- May: Mid Ohio, Summit Point
- June: Mosport - Calibogie
- July: Pocono
- August: Watkins Glen
- September: Pocono, possibly Thunderbolt (new racetrack in southern NJ)
- October: Shenandoah, Watkins Glen
- Later October, early November: VIR

I have some of the dates -- but they're at home...

Approximate travel distances to these tracks from Northern NJ:
1.5 to 2 hours away:
Pocono
Lime Rock
Thunderbolt

4 hours away:
Watkins Glen
Summit Point / Shenandoah

8-ish hours away:
Mid-Ohio
VIR
Mosport / Calibogie / Mt. Tremblant (all in Canada)

My thoughts on a newbie and the track: The best bet is to try to get out on a track that is simle to learn and not too intimidating. In the NNJR schedule, I would recommend Pocono, Lime Rock, & Summit Point. They are all have a relatively simply layout, making it easy for a new driver to pick up the line and the "essentials" (turn in - apex - track out, flag stations, pit out...etc.) And Lime Rock and Summit Point are short tracks (and Pocono's North course as well, which is what we run in the spring), so you get a lot of laps per session. More laps = learning through repitition.

I wouldn't suggest Watkins Glen as the first track to try -- many have done that, but the length of the track plus the high speed turns can hinder the learning a bit, IMHO.

Mid-Ohio, VIR, Mosport and Calibogie are all about 8 hours away -- better to try this stuff on a track a bit closer to home.

So what to do until the season begins? May I suggest the following:
1. Read. There are lots of great books that will get you started on the fundamentals of track driving. I found Ross Bentley's Speed Secrets series of books to be especially easy to read and understand.
2. Attend NNJR's Mid-Winter track event. - tentatively, this event is scheduled for January 20th - it will be held at the Villa in Mountain Lakes, NJ, right on Rt 46 East. This is a luncheon for people who want to know more about what this DE thing is about. The track chair, chief instructors, and various track veterans will be on hand to give you a taste of what to expect. There will be on-track videos, plus lots of the required bench racing. Watch for an ad in NNJR's Porscheforus for details and a registration form. (You can also check our website for info...)
3. Get your car in shape. Make sure that all maintenance is up to speed, and if there are things that may need replacing, replace them. The track has a wonderful way of shaking all the loose nuts and bolts off your car -- better to replace a worn CV joint NOW than be sidelined at the track...
4. Check out Rennlist's DE forum. Yeah, there are some egos in there, but for the most part, the guys that post stuff in there know what they are talking about. Feel free to ask questions -- most are willing to offer "expert" advise.
5. Check out Autocross. Although not a requirement for DE's, IMHO, autocross should be a requirement. At the least, AX teaches car control at a slower speed - which can be directly applied to track driving. It is easier and safer to learn throttle steering in a parking lot with a bunch of traffic cones at 20 mph than on a track with armco it hit at 80mph! As an instructor, I can immediately tell if a student of mine has autocrossed before -- typically those who have such experience tend to move up the ranks a bit quicker.
6. Patiently wait for the snow to fall, then melt....

Hope this helps,
-Z-man.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 AM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reno808
I am in if my car is ready and tuned by then
Same here

Quick Reply: NNJ/NY Metro DE/Track day????