Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NNJ/NY Metro DE/Track day????

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I sat next to zoltan for three days at watkins. he is a great instructor and was a saint for putting up with me.
Tom - ya did fine - I was once there too. Just find a good home track out west and keep at it!

-Z
Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Oh, I forgot the last part Joe.

1: Pick an event in the northeast and get a lot of rennlisters to go.
2: Post it here so we all know who is going.
3: This it the important part
SOMEONE OFFER TO SHARE THEIR CAR WITH ME SO I CAN PLAY TOO!

Oh the joy of tthe thought of thrashing someone elses car.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom

WILL DO!

best

Joe
Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe...any updates??

Last edited by aben8057; 02-08-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:39 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex

Nothing yet! But I will pick up the ball in a few weeks....and post as soon as I have an update!

best

Joe
Old 12-24-2007, 04:38 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

ok....first....THANKS TOM! Got the extinguisher mount today!

And MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL ! (happy holidays if you do not celebrate christmas).

I am starting to think about this again as I have the week off.

I want to take the advice I've gotten here so I think Pocono is a good target.

I think Z-man said there's a PCA track day there in May....I'll get the exact date if I can (Z...if you know, please post) and we can start from there.

I have been a PCA member for like 5+ years...may as well get a little use out of the membership.....since this will be a PCA event we attend I assume anyone who wants to come would have to be (or become) a PCA member....

Well....I'll get more detail and post back during the week

best

Joe
Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Joe:
As soon as I find out confirmed dates for an NNJR event, I'll post it up here.

Traditionally, Pocono 1 is either late March / Early April. In May we typically take a trek out to Mid-Ohio - fun event, great track, but in my opinion, it is better for a newbie track person to try out this addiction at a closer location...

-Z-man.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:13 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great! Thanks Z-man!

If it's late March/Early April I have a bunch of stuff to prepare in a short time!

Keep us all posted as I'd love to get a contingent of newbies from this area to come!

best

Joe
Old 12-27-2007, 06:14 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my new koni's for Christmas and will be getting new springs and sways soon. March gives me motivation to get off my butt and get the suspension done. It would be great to have a bunch of 944 guys together for the weekend. I'll bring the rv so we have a full kitchen for lunch as well as a place to sit and relax during some down time.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a plan!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Update:
Pocono I dates aren't confirmed, but NNJR will be going to Lime Rock on April 16-17, 2008, if the Rennlist 44'ers want to go there instead. (It is a track that is perfectly suited for the 944 - very much of a technical/momentum car track) The Pocono event is usually a week or two prior to the Lime Rock DE.

Pricing not confirmed yet for either Lime Rock or Pocono.

I'll let you know as more info comes my way...

-Z-man.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 PM
philcav7
Racer

Will there be the need for registering in advance for the event, if it occurs at Pocono?

I think my PCA membership has lapsed, how can I sign up/get more information on the event?

Also, being a first timer...what else should I know/do prior to the event?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 10:32 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am also curious to know 'about' what these cost....
Old 12-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by philcav7
Will there be the need for registering in advance for the event, if it occurs at Pocono?
Yes - the new track chair is setting up a new online registration process. Once that is in place, I'll update this post with more info.

I think my PCA membership has lapsed, how can I sign up/get more information on the event?
You need to be a PCA member (any region) to participate in a DE event. You can email Marlys Thovson at membership@nnjr-pca.com. Tell her Zoltan sent ya! Note: while you need to be a PCA member, you don't need to be an NNJR region member to participate in an NNJR DE event. However, it certainly helps to be an NNJR member to get into an NNJR event...

Also, being a first timer...what else should I know/do prior to the event?
Well, for starters, you can attend the NNJR Mid-Winter track event on January 20th. It is a $15 luncheon, and you get a $10 coupon off your first DE. At this luncheon, the track chair, various track stewards and instructors will be on hand to let folks curious about this track know know what to expect and what it is about. It is a great way to learn about this track stuff...

Additionally, Click here for a link to the NNJR website's "New to Driver's Ed / What to expect" page. This info may be a little out of date (no mention of online registration, for example), but it is useful nonetheless. I suggest that you poke around other PCA region's websites (NY Metro, Potomac...etc) under their Driver's Ed sections -- there are many "What to expect" webpages and track documentation that you will find to be quite useful.

That said, here are some guidelines that you may find helpful:
1. What you need: you, a helmet (they have rentals, but these are typically stinky...), and a sound, running car that needs to pass a pre-event tech inspection.

2. A solid, bone stock 944 is perfectly fine to start with. Actually, keeping your car as stock as possible to start is your best bet. As you get involved with track driving, and hone your skills, you can better determine what upgrades make sense for you. Street tires are preferred over R-compounds or slicks for beginners & novices as this will allow you to get a better feel of how your car handles.

3. What else to bring? Plenty to keep you hydrated, enough snacks to fee dyou and your favorite instructor, and, if you have room, some basic tools and a air compressor for your tires is a good thing to have as well. In the early season events, layers and layers of clothing. It can get pretty cold out there...

4. You shouldn't bring you ego to the track, no matter what level of driving you are at. Be ready to learn, and have the time of you life learning how to drive your Porsche the way it was designed to be driven. (Sorry if this sounds like a marketing plug, but that really is the case -- driving your Porsche on the track at speed is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on!)

Hope this helps,
-Z-man.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Z! All good info!

Assume there's more on the 1/20 event on the NNJR website? I'll look now....and also peek at PFU.

Happy New Year!

Quick Reply: NNJ/NY Metro DE/Track day????