Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NNJ/NY Metro DE/Track day????

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe: I agree with z-man about the Glen. I spent 1 and 3/4seasons at Pocono and Lime Rock until I thought about atempting the Glen. I went with NNJR for thier 3 day event and needed the 3 days. It was more difficult to learn than the other area tracks because it is so long and as Z stated there is less repition. I had actually recorded a professional race where they showed a lap from the cockpit of a car and although it did help a bit it wasn't the same as being out there. It took a day to feel comfy on the track, another day to bring the speed up and then fortunatly the third day to really enjoy (and i mean REALLY enjoy) the experience. Looking abck at how o felt my first time at Pocono i think the Glen woudl be real intimidating if you've never been on a track.

Due to the distance from me the trek to the Glen was to "get it out of my system" so I can say i experienced it and wouldn't have to make the trip again....I am hooked and can't wait to get back there. It is a challenging track which makes you feel real good as you can actually notice the progress made.

If you want I have in-car video form all three Pocono Tracks, Lime Rock and the Glen that I can get to you so you can see the experience from a similar car to yours. Let me know if you want them.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:07 PM
aben8057
Drifting

All,

If you want some good reading I highly recomend this:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42306

they have some good tips to improve your high performance driving in a day to day basis. I picked up the issue which has a free DVD and covers topics like apexing, braking, control, smoothness, etc..

back to your original question....I am in.

Last edited by aben8057; 02-08-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Z-man

I am not late...I am early

Trying to pre-plan a good group-get2gether and also the way it works in my house, I need to fill in the blanks early on the family calendar before we agree to a kiddie birthday party or something else which might get in the way of driving!

Appreciate all the good info....what's your opinion of pocono as far as being hard on the cars? I was told it's in poor repair and beats up the cars pretty well...which is why our friends from PA apparently don't want to track there anymore.

Dan

I'd love the video....can I send you a DVD to burn?

All

I want to try and put a trip together for a group similar in size to the group that met at Cubby's last month....variety of models ( I know there are a few 928's from NJ/NY who also expressed interest)....

I'll start planning and float some info here over the long weekend.....we'll figure on one of Z-man's suggestions....a 2hr trip rather than a 4-hr trip works for me...particularly as my first try!

best

Joe
Old 11-19-2007, 01:53 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by J Berk
Z-man

I am not late...I am early

Dan

I'd love the video....can I send you a DVD to burn?

All

I want to try and put a trip together for a group similar in size to the group that met at Cubby's last month....variety of models ( I know there are a few 928's from NJ/NY who also expressed interest)....

I'll start planning and float some info here over the long weekend.....we'll figure on one of Z-man's suggestions....a 2hr trip rather than a 4-hr trip works for me...particularly as my first try!

best

Joe

Joe:

I have plenty of DVDs so don't worry about it. Just PM me your address. (I can't promise I can get it together so fast but I will do my best). I'll send you video from each track so you can see. I will try to get the more recent ones so I don't suck so bad.

Are you planning on getting guys together to rent track time?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:57 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan

Cool...I'll PM you now!

No...I was thinking about joining a NNJR PCA event....otherwise I am just paying my membership for a magazine!
Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Dan

Cool...I'll PM you now!

No...I was thinking about joining a NNJR PCA event....otherwise I am just paying my membership for a magazine!
Good idea.

You should try some autocrosses too. it is a great way to see how the car will react at it's limit at slower speeds. You can then use this on the track.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate all the good info....what's your opinion of pocono as far as being hard on the cars? I was told it's in poor repair and beats up the cars pretty well...which is why our friends from PA apparently don't want to track there anymore.
Joe -
Sorry I didn't answer your question before -- Pocono is no harder on your car than any other track in the Northeast. There are some bumpy spots, but there are bumpy spots in all the other tracks as well. If you go off at Pocono, there are some areas that are especially bumpy and can damage your suspension, but the trick is NOT TO GO OFF!

One big reason folks don't go to Pocono for a DE is because it is a bit on the boring side. No elevation changes, to scenery...etc. And because it is so close, people tend to go there alot early on in their DE "careers." I try to get to Pocono once or twice a year -- this year I couldn't make it there at all, but I made took the trek to Mid-Ohio instead.

If you are looking for a really smooth track to try this stuff out on, then I suggest going down to Summit Point in May. They just re-paved it in September - and it is glass smooth and grippy. The NNJR event is typically a two-day weekday event - so the attendance is less. But it is a great low-key event with a lot of track time for all.

-Z-man.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:51 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z-man

If you are looking for a really smooth track to try this stuff out on, then I suggest going down to Summit Point in May. They just re-paved it in September - and it is glass smooth and grippy. The NNJR event is typically a two-day weekday event - so the attendance is less. But it is a great low-key event with a lot of track time for all.

-Z-man.
Just in time to test the new turbo and all
Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Joe,
I think what you are trying to do is great. Keep that in mind when you read the rest.

I have the track bug. I have it so bad I postponed the start of my new job so i could get one last weekend in at lime rock before shipping the car to colorado. i cant wait for spring here. and i was a skiier until jill got preggo.

i think the idea of a big get together at a track is great. i think the simplest way would be to get the locals to all join pca and agree to a single event. pocono would probably be your best bet because hotels are 65 a room, while at lime rock they are 200 a room. pocono also has some places to hang out at night.

metro usually has a two day event in april at pocono. i think as many guys as possible should sign up for the earliest pocono event and go from there.

you get the idea. i have your address and will try to get the bracket in the mail this week.

I sat next to zoltan for three days at watkins. he is a great instructor and was a saint for putting up with me. i drove with dan to a lot of events. i already miss hanging out with him, and need a colorado porsche buddy or three to take his place. you may get to see him pass me when i was in the turbo in one video, and pass me at watkins in the S2 in another video.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom

Thanks for the advice! What you're saying is pretty much just what I am thinking...definately a PCA event...and as long as pocono's not one large pot-hole (as I had envisioned) then it makes the most sense due to it's location.

There must be a few Denver folk on here who are up for a gathering! What's the weather like out there? I am very anti-winter....I can't stand that it snowed a little today here!

Don't go nutz on the bracket...I have till spring

best and stay in touch!

Joe
Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I will probably be at that Metro 2-day Pocono event come April. Unfortuntley ill be overseas from May through July..so i miss a good bulk of the season.

Tom, hope Denver is treating you well..you are missed at the auto-x's!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:53 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Joe,

I sat next to zoltan for three days at watkins. he is a great instructor and was a saint for putting up with me. i drove with dan to a lot of events. i already miss hanging out with him, and need a colorado porsche buddy or three to take his place. you may get to see him pass me when i was in the turbo in one video, and pass me at watkins in the S2 in another video.
I miss you too buddy. I hope you didn't mean you need 3 Colorado buddies to equal the SIZE of me.

Here's a little sample of the Pocono South course. I like to call this one "The Pocono Pass!" (Sorry Tom)
Old 11-19-2007, 11:48 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO and having only done Pocono North and South courses, I think they are a great place to do your first DE. South course especially is basically a big autocross...the speeds in the corners are 2nd and 3rd gear and there is a late apex hairpin that even many of the instructors can't seem to get right.

South course was my intro to the track and it was a great experience.

The pavement is smooth enough for a car with a reasonable suspension...its nothing compared to the roads we drive on everyday.

I recommend both Metro NY and NNJR regions...can't go wrong with either. Although metro NY will no longer bump a driver a run group if you have two drivers sharing a car.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper31
I miss you too buddy. I hope you didn't mean you need 3 Colorado buddies to equal the SIZE of me.

Here's a little sample of the Pocono South course. I like to call this one "The Pocono Pass!" (Sorry Tom)
Hey, thats my car your passing......sorta
Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Hey, thats my car your passing......sorta

Yes it will be your car and then you will see what Tom saw!!

Quick Reply: NNJ/NY Metro DE/Track day????